Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of others, our GTE is only getting a short trip to the supermarket once a week. For the last two weeks the 12v charge warning has come on when I start the car saying “charge by driving” The warning goes off after about a mile and a half.

can I use a battery charger to charge it? I have googled the issue but cannot see any details. It sounds like there is a charging post under the bonnet.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Yes, you should do exactly that. As previous threads, use a battery conditioner not a trickle charger. They start at only £15 online from the UK.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Tayne battery charger
Yeah, Tayna sell the CTEK MX range of battery charger/conditioners. You can charge up the 12v battery Insitu without disconnection from the vehicle. They also sell a loom for permanent installation into the vehicle and just click the charger in and out as necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone have a picture of where the negative connection point is, i'm a bit of a novice and the term bulkhead means very little to me, sorry!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Anyone have a picture of where the negative connection point is, i'm a bit of a novice and the term bulkhead means very little to me, sorry!
Battery Is in the boot on the GTE.
To charge the battery in situ and still connected, the positive clamp of the charging unit attaches to the red positive terminal and the black negative terminal attaches to a point of the body shell and NOT to the negative terminal of the battery.
I have my CTEK charger permanently connected to my 12 Volt battery via a eyelet connection loom that is provided with the charger.
The red eyelet attached to the LIVE terminal and the black NEGATIVE terminal attached to earthing stud that is attached to the body shell of the car.
Remove the 10mm nut on the stud, then install the black eyelet lead on the stud and replace the nut, done !.
This way, when your 12 Volt battery requires a top up, just plug the charger into the already attached loom and your done !.
No messing about with clamps etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Battery Is in the boot on the GTE.
To charge the battery in situ and still connected, the positive clamp of the charging unit attaches to the red positive terminal and the black negative terminal attaches to a point of the body shell and NOT to the negative terminal of the battery.
I have my CTEK charger permanently connected to my 12 Volt battery via a eyelet connection loom that is provided with the charger.
The red eyelet attached to the LIVE terminal and the black NEGATIVE terminal attached to earthing stud that is attached to the body shell of the car.
Remove the 10mm nut on the stud, then install the black eyelet lead on the stud and replace the nut, done !.
This way, when your 12 Volt battery requires a top up, just plug the charger into the already attached loom and your done !.
No messing about with clamps etc.
Thanks for the reply, blown my mind a little but im sure once the cover is off more will become clear. Its being looked at next week to check the battery and fuse out so i'll let the garage see what they think before doing anything

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also bought a voltmeter from Amazon that fits in the lighter socket. It will give you a view of how the battery charge is and whethper it needs charging. I find mine needs charging after about three weeks of very light use. If you let it get too low, you will get lots of error messages that prevent you doing anything with the car. VW Assistance is the only solution then As I found and described in another post.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Thanks for the reply, blown my mind a little but im sure once the cover is off more will become clear. Its being looked at next week to check the battery and fuse out so i'll let the garage see what they think before doing anything
This explains the correct way to connect the smart charger to the car, both insitu and with battery removed from the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks for this, makes more sense now. Car is in the garage today and they say the battery and fuse are fine so are doing more diagostic work. Out of interest when you do use this i presume you use it on the recondition mode?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
thanks for this, makes more sense now. Car is in the garage today and they say the battery and fuse are fine so are doing more diagostic work. Out of interest when you do use this i presume you use it on the recondition mode?
Not sure what Smart charger you have, but with my CTEK unit, I just connect to the fly leads that is permanently connected to the battery and frame of the car, then turn on the power supply to the CTEK.
The unit will quickly assess the state of charge of the battery, then quickly skip through the options and settle on the option to suit the SOC of the battery.
When it has completed the charge, it will then drop down into a very slow trickle mode.
When plugged in my new unit, just to check if it was working okay.
It skipped through the time remaining scale very quickly.
It was fully charged in about 45 mins.
The battery was in a pretty good SOC when it was started.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts