Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced a flat 12v battery in their eNiro?

On Friday last week I came out to a dead car. I removed the 12v and recharged with a smart charger, replaced the battery and made a few short journeys on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

This morning, dead again.

Are there any known issues, recommend diagnostics etc?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah, almost every electric car I think has this. You need to trickle charge once a month. Did you leave it on overnight, or just a few minutes?

·
Registered
365 Posts
There's been some chat about this on the Facebook group.

If you check the settings (dash not infotainment)
Is battery saver enabled?

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yeah, almost every electric car I think has this. You need to trickle charge once a month. Did you leave it on overnight, or just a few minutes?
Ummm no, definitely not. This is always a fault.
The Niro, as @Grant_H says, also has a battery saver option which more aggressively charges the 12V even when the car is switched off.
Typical reasons for this happening are a duff 12V battery or something plugged into one of the permanently powered sockets - at least one of the USBs is always on btw.
Normally you'll get a battery drain warning the following morning though. I had that once when the OVMS had crashed spinning.
It can also be a parasite drain - short circuit or similar.
That requires a dealer to diagnose but is a fairly routine check.
Even more rarely the 12V DC to DC converter (alternator equivalent) might be faulty and hence simply isn't charging your 12V battery.
My first leaf had an intermittent fault like that - probably a sticky relay - that took a long time to diagnose because of the intermittency.

tl;dr take it to the dealer to sort out

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a full charge out of the vehicle.

I've had the car since September and this is its first hiccup

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's been some chat about this on the Facebook group.

If you check the settings (dash not infotainment)
Is battery saver enabled?

Battery saver mode checked and was enabled.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think someone had a flat battery at a campsite, and identified it down to the key being close to the car which kept getting ready to unlock through the night.
So would be careful of that too. Not saying the reason in this case, but additional to @MetalHead s comments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Battery saver mode checked and was enabled.

Iirc it was people who had battery saver on that were seeing the issue, but it's on the me and so far (touch wood) no battery issues

As @MetalHead says get it booked in at the dealer. Hopefully a known issue and they will get you sorted out

·
Registered
192 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a flat 12v battery in their eNiro?

On Friday last week I came out to a dead car. I removed the 12v and recharged with a smart charger, replaced the battery and made a few short journeys on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

This morning, dead again.

Are there any known issues, recommend diagnostics etc?

A bit of light reading from the Kona forum!

John.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A bit of light reading from the Kona forum!

John.
Wow that was a long read. I've ordered a cigarette lighter battery meter to see if it gives any pre warning. Will keep an eye on it ...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Did a full charge out of the vehicle.

I've had the car since September and this is its first hiccup

Sounds like your battery is knackered then. I think that once a battery won't even trigger a few relays, it's time for a new one. (Keep the new one trickle charged regularly.)

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's crazy since what's going to happen when you go on your 2 week summer holidays and arrive back to your airport ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let's face it too, the cars have been stationary on a boat for up to 5 weeks, and then another good month or so between Immingham and dealerships

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
After reading about these issues on more than a few EV’s - I have bought one of those compact booster packs to keep in the boot of my car !.
I have always kept a set of jumper leads in the boot of most of my other ICE cars in the past.
The power pack will hold its charge for almost 12 months.
It takes very little space in the boot of the car.
I do have break down cover, but the power pack could have you on your way in only a few minutes.
The recovery services could take over an hour to get to you.

·
Registered
997 Posts
After reading about these issues on more than a few EV’s - I have bought one of those compact booster packs to keep in the boot of my car !.
I have always kept a set of jumper leads in the boot of most of my other ICE cars in the past.
The power pack will hold its charge for almost 12 months.
It takes very little space in the boot of the car.
I do have break down cover, but the power pack could have you on your way in only a few minutes.
The recovery services could take over an hour to get to you.
Which one did you buy and where from? Seems sensible to me! Though they tried on Mr EV’s car above with one of these and it wasn’t enough appparently.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Dont keep it in the boot, as boot might not open / unlock when battery goes flat. People have said they needed to use the actual key to unlock car, as fob wont open / unlock the car.
I don’t think we have any alternative other than using the boot really ??.
It’s okay if the battery runs flat while at home.
Then, I can keep it in the house.
But not much good if the battery runs flat away from home !.
The manual key can give us access to the interior of the car, does that open the boot as well ?.
If not, the pack could be put under the drivers / passengers seat I think.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts