Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
People have been talking about Noco chargers to keep their 12v battery topped up but if I'm faced with a dead 12v battery, I wonder whether this Noco product would be suitable to jump start my e-niro?
Noco Boost Sport GB20

Can anyone see why it might not be suitable for an EV?
I'm not sure.

It's designed for one big hit. IE one crank of the starter motor on an ice.

You would almost be cheaper getting a moped battery and connecting our in parallel with an isolating switch.

Mine seems to be ok all of a sudden is back to a steady 14.6.
If this one goes I may well fit a deep cycle battery, someone a bit more suited to an ev

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
400 Posts
In fact I'm sure Noco themselves, either in their website or on the Amazon listing said the boost won't change a battery.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Once the EV starts, doesn't the 400v battery then start "feeding" the 12v battery once started ?

Of course, the 12v battery will most likely need "proper" recharging later.

So, as I understand it, it only needs the smallest of 12v batteries to satisfy the starting mechanism and bring the car to life.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In fact I'm sure Noco themselves, either in their website or on the Amazon listing said the boost won't change a battery.

I'm not bothered about charging the battery, I'd just want to get the car started in an emergency situation. If the car won't charge the battery in normal use then it will go back to Kia for investigation. IMHO any new(ish) car that can't keep it's 12v battery charged is faulty.

The last time I had to charge a 12v battery was on a 15 year old Vauxhall Viva and that was about 35 years ago! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you're running 12V charging tests while driving, try with headlights turned on. You might be surprised at the difference.
You have got me curious. What does it do with the headlights on? I am still looking forward to seeing Keith’s promised on load driving charging voltage graphs.
Peter

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm sure its been remarked before, but it's informative to look around the various different car threads and identify just how many different EVs from different manufacturers seem to have some sort of 12v battery issue...

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I'm sure its been remarked before, but it's informative to look around the various different car threads and identify just how many different EVs from different manufacturers seem to have some sort of 12v battery issue...
Yes. And a common feature is the absence of an alternator running constantly when the ICE is operating. The DC to DC converter in BEVs is there instead. Which is clearly not as efficient at maintaining adequate voltage in the 12v DC battery in all driving circumstances. I can see no real reason for that except poor programming of the algorithm that regulates the transfer of electrons.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
305 Posts
I think if you look around non-EV forums you'll also find TONS of threads about problems with ICE car 12v batteries at this time too ..
Though I completely take the point that the EVs have no excuse for this, where an ICE that doesn't get used enough for three months should expect to be unable to charge its own 12V battery. The BEV could and should.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Been there, The boost pack is to start the car not charge the battery. To charge it, it is best to slow charge. I have a September 18 Kona, one of the first, which has exactly the same issues. New 12v battery fitted under warranty in January. A booster pack takes 30 seconds or less to get the car started. Really easy but do not keep the booster in the boot if like the Kona you can not open the boot once the electrics fail. Once its started, the HV battery will charge the 12v battery. The booster pack will start a 6 litre car and will start the Kona multiple times before the pack needs recharging. If it can crank a cold ICE engine then simply achieving 12v to trigger the relays is a doddle, you could probably get away with the battery from a cordless drill. As I discovered because my problem was between Christmas and New Year, if the 12v battery will not hold its charge because it is failing then you have the same problem next time you want to go out.

Once the battery was replaced under warranty I I bough the smallest Nico charger available to trickle charge the 12v battery once a month, slow and steady. The new battery is very healthy, Now I am aware I will ensure the new battery lasts longer than 15 months. If your warranty is like mine the 12v battery is limited to a 2year warranty.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts