Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nevermind the LED lights issue/option, how about the option of, say, a decent lithium Ion 12v battery? That is, sold by Kia!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't understand why it seems so many batteries are failing so quickly. My last car was a 2010 Citroen C3 Picasso. It still had it's original battery working perfectly when I sold it two weeks ago.
My son has my first kia ceed an 07 plate 1.6 diesel original battery and complete original exhaust System.
What I find strange is that they don’t arrive in the U.K. with flat batteries after weeks at sea......

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't understand why it seems so many batteries are failing so quickly. My last car was a 2010 Citroen C3 Picasso. It still had it's original battery working perfectly when I sold it two weeks ago.
My son has my first kia ceed an 07 plate 1.6 diesel original battery and complete original exhaust System.
What I find strange is that they don’t arrive in the U.K. with flat batteries after weeks at sea

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
In the event your battery goes flat or that you've locked someone in the boot?

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not very knowledgeable about cars in general. For my previous EV (Rav4EV) I had a battery minder connected to the Aux battery and plugged it in when I was going to leave the car sitting for a week or more. Is it OK to do that with the Kia Niro? When I pulled the plastic covers off the battery posts, it looks a lot more complicated than in my old car. Am I going to screw up any of those extra wires connected to the battery posts if I lift up the connectors and put the rings for the battery minder over the posts? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've noticed my 12v battery will gradually drop in charge overnight down to the 11v region but the moment the Zappi fires up with charging the battery jumps up to the 14v region. So it seems the top up is not happening without a charge going into the car. I wonder if the gradual drain is the OVMS. I'm going to try it with OVMS disconnected and also let it drain without a charge going in see if it goes dead again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've noticed my 12v battery will gradually drop in charge overnight down to the 11v region but the moment the Zappi fires up with charging the battery jumps up to the 14v region. So it seems the top up is not happening without a charge going into the car. I wonder if the gradual drain is the OVMS. I'm going to try it with OVMS disconnected and also let it drain without a charge going in see if it goes dead again.
What I find strange is that they don’t arrive in the U.K. with flat batteries after weeks at sea

·
Registered
215 Posts
1. Yes, the fuse is turned off to prevent flat battery.
2. There is emergency tailgate release slot from inside the boot but:
a) what's the point opening the tailgate from inside if you already got inside via back seats?
b) this didnt work for me when the battery went flat. I moved the key in the slot and heard the click sound from the boot lock (unlocking). However I still couldn't open the tailgate until i powered on the car via jump-starter.

I had flat 12v battery in Kona three times. On two occasions it happened after short drive (20 minutes) and parking the car for about 20 minutes. Once after overnight parking.
Hyundai cannot find the fault and they simply returned the car as working correctly :)
Well the issue is intermittent so it is very difficult to figure this out - apparently there are no logs they can retrospectively check to find out what lead to draining the battery. So the only thing we can do is to pest Hyundai / Kia and please make sure you log a compliant to customer care. Just get them register your problem. The more emails they get from us the more likely it will be diagnosed.

·
Registered
629 Posts
1. Yes, the fuse is turned off to prevent flat battery.
2. There is emergency tailgate release slot from inside the boot but:
a) what's the point opening the tailgate from inside if you already got inside via back seats?
b) this didnt work for me when the battery went flat. I moved the key in the slot and heard the click sound from the boot lock (unlocking). However I still couldn't open the tailgate until i powered on the car via jump-starter.

I had flat 12v battery in Kona three times. On two occasions it happened after short drive (20 minutes) and parking the car for about 20 minutes. Once after overnight parking.
Hyundai cannot find the fault and they simply returned the car as working correctly :)
Well the issue is intermittent so it is very difficult to figure this out - apparently there are no logs they can retrospectively check to find out what lead to draining the battery. So the only thing we can do is to pest Hyundai / Kia and please make sure you log a compliant to customer care. Just get them register your problem. The more emails they get from us the more likely it will be diagnosed.
True, also I reckon Tweets, Facebook etc. gets things moving due to their public nature.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Another data point for you all.

All day yesterday our E-Niro was in the garage completely untouched and not plugged in. Dashcam off, no message on dashboard, right hand dash top light flashing during charge. Here is the 24 hour result of the 12V battery monitor:-

Details:-

Time Voltage
00:00 12.83
14:03 12.77
14:23 14.69
14:40 13.03
24:00 12.87

I wonder is there is a time factor here we had ignored? e.g. if the voltage is below 12.80V for more than 8 hours charge for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Interesting. This screenshot shows the difference between the car being on charge and not charging. It's easy to see the section with car on charge.

When my 12v went flat the gradual decline in Voltage went on until it hit the 10v area and then plummeted down into 2v or so.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hope it is just an anomaly but at 01:00 this morning our E-Niro 12V battery logged a couple of minutes at 40V. The car was sitting in the garage, not plugged in, unused for 24 hours and there were no events set around it (preheating, dashcam, lightning storm, etc.). The resolution of the monitor is two minutes so the pulse may have been much shorter but it is still bothersome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
e-Niro - I went away for a whole month in July last year and left the SOC showing 45%, when I returned it was still showing 45%, I didn't look at the 12v battery but it started perfectly.

I have noticed the 12v battery seems to lose one bar on the screen every now and then but, touch wood, not had it going flat.

Surely Kia should have something to say about this.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
There is a bug (unconfirmed) that under certain circumstances, one of the ECUs (not sure which one) never reports back to the central ECU "I'm ready to shut down now", so the central ECU keeps the car in a state that takes about 2A from the battery instead of some tens of milliAmps. It's the equivalent of your PC sitting on the blue screen, saying "Shutting down..." but never shutting down until the battery goes flat if it's a laptop.

It's nothing to do with how and when it's left on as at about 2A, it'll go below the minimum of about 10V fairly quickly.

I've now come across reports of it on more than a dozen Konas, e-Niros and Ioniqs, some of which have had replacement batteries. Hyundai are blaming dash cams (I spoke to their technical department) even though people have seen the same behaviour with/without dashcams. At least they are aware of it, so you need to contact customer services to report it if you've seen it please! There's a link on the ever-growing Kona thread.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Since many people will simply recharge the battery and away they go, it's not very likely to lead to many warranty claim replacements and therefore not likely to hugely appear on Kia Korea's radar.

It's all down to how able (and willing) dealers will feed back to in Country HQ's and for these in Country HQ's to feed back to Korea.

61 - 80 of 221 Posts