Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
How are people connecting up their maintenance chargers? In the manual it says to hook the negative up to a metal point away from the battery. It also says that in the manual of the smart charger I just bought but every Youtube video shows them connecting to the negative to the negative battery terminal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have always connected the negative terminal of my smart charger to a metal point on the engine of my petrol car as in the instructions. In fact it is impossible to even reach the negative terminal of the battery.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I’m guessing this is a safety measure associated with potential gas release after charging. If you disconnect a negative terminal away from the vicinity of the battery, any sparking which occurs will also be a safe distance from it. Makes no difference if you ignore the advice and disconnect live first though :unsure:

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I’m guessing this is a safety measure associated with potential gas release after charging.
That is absolutely the correct reason.
I have witnessed a lead acid battery go "Bang" when somebody disconnected the pitch clamps from a high capacity workshop charger, without turning it off at the power outlet first !.
A spark from the clamp causes the explosion.
The guy was extremely lucky NOT to be totally blinded.
This was over forty years ago now, but you never forget seeing something like that happen, ever.
Although the above type of incident would be extremely unlikely to happen using a very slow trickle charger, it is always best to play safe and follow the correct procedure.
Using "Jump Leads" between two cars follows the same connections / dis-connection sequence as connecting a battery charger.
For anybody interested, here is an example of how connect / disconnect jump leads, same principle.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is there any issue if the car starts charging whilst the Maintenance charger is hooked up? I have a Zappi charger and it kicks in when the solar panels output at a certain level. I'll disconnect it when the car gets to 70% but meantime?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Interestingly, I woke up about 1/2 hour ago and couldn’t get back off to sleep. Eventually looked out front window to find one light blinking on my dashboard. This is in itself not unusual save for two factors. 1. My pre-heat is set for 7.40 so too early for it to be heating the car and 2. The car isn’t plugged in so shouldn’t pre-heat anyway.

So I looked closer and saw it was the right hand light and I’m guessing from the manual that the car has switched on the 12v maintenance mode. The car has been sat out in the cold for a few days in self isolation so assuming it must have detected the 12v drain and switched itself on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Interesting. I was drawing the curtains last week and saw the green light on the dash too. Thought I had left something on or the car unlocked, until I relocked the car, and so then went and checked the manual

·
Registered
22 Posts
This happened to me 3 days ago. Went to car, completely dead. Ancillary battery measured 0v. Jumped it from another car and charged it 30 mins from altinator to 13.2 v. Three hours later completely dead again. BTW battery saver+ checked but no warning of activation of such.

Took it in to local dealers yesterday. They found a constant 200ma drain, peaking to 700ma (should be about 50ma). Anyway, they couldn't fix it and now have put a ticket in to Kia Technical. Waiting for further developments on Monday.

£35K and not being able to leave it in an airport car park (excusing current circumstances) and having to depend on a jump pack is simply not acceptable IMO.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This happened to me 3 days ago. Went to car, completely dead. Ancillary battery measured 0v. Jumped it from another car and charged it 30 mins from altinator to 13.2 v. Three hours later completely dead again. BTW battery saver+ checked but no warning of activation of such.

Took it in to local dealers yesterday. They found a constant 200ma drain, peaking to 700ma (should be about 50ma). Anyway, they couldn't fix it and now have put a ticket in to Kia Technical. Waiting for further developments on Monday.

£35K and not being able to leave it in an airport car park (excusing current circumstances) and having to depend on a jump pack is simply not acceptable IMO.
Is that on an MY20 model?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
BTW battery saver+ checked but no warning of activation of such.
Interesting that when mine seemed to be functioning the other day, getting in the car and switching on gave no indication of anything untoward. I am not sure if it is supposed to tell you or is there somewhere to find out whether it has operated?

The worrying thing for me is that my car had only been on the drive for two days and I wouldn't have expected a 12v aux to be in any sort of trouble after that length of time. I am thinking that maybe the ghost drain was responsible. I have no idea what parameters there are on the Battery Saver function. One would assume that it doesn't let it drop to a level that was damaging the 12v cells. Standard lead acid are not designed to deep cycle so anything approaching repeated low levels of voltage are going to see it off in no time which might explain early failure.

I have again put mine on the charger and left it for over 24 hours. The charger is still not saying the battery is full. I had to buy a replacement 12v for my backup ICE last week. Got it home, fitted it, put the charger on it and it reported full within minutes as I would expect :cautious:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone experimented with the fuse switch on the interior fuse board which is recommended to be set to off for all Kia vehicles if they're being parked for an extended time? It would be interesting to see what the comparative current draw with the fuse switch on and off was, if anyone has a fancy loop current sensor they could put round the positive wire on the 12V battery. Apparently the fuse switch disables certain functions (like the clock and probably Uvo) when in the off position and you need to turn it back on if you want to use the car, but this is presumably what they do during shipping?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have no idea what parameters there are on the Battery Saver function. One would assume that it doesn't let it drop to a level that was damaging the 12v cells. Standard lead acid are not designed to deep cycle so anything approaching repeated low levels of voltage are going to see it off in no time which might explain early failure.
This has already been discussed either here on in one of the Kona threads. The Battery Saver function is much simpler than what you're assuming. It simply turns on for a fixed 20 minute duration once every day. The schedule is fixed and in no way dependent on the actual state of the 12V battery. The exact time of day it turns on will depend on when you last turned off the car.

This is the fundamental flaw with the entire design. It neither turns on when needed or stays on long enough to actually recharge the 12V battery. It's essentially useless. It just prolongs the inevitable complete discharge of the battery.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This has already been discussed either here on in one of the Kona threads. The Battery Saver function is much simpler than what you're assuming. It simply turns on for a fixed 20 minute duration once every day. The schedule is fixed and in no way dependent on the actual state of the 12V battery. The exact time of day it turns on will depend on when you last turned off the car.

This is the fundamental flaw with the entire design. It neither turns on when needed or stays on long enough to actually recharge the 12V battery. It's essentially useless. It just prolongs the inevitable complete discharge of the battery.
And when the function is turned off, what way does it work ?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It simply turns on for a fixed 20 minute duration once every day. The schedule is fixed and in no way dependent on the actual state of the 12V battery. The exact time of day it turns on will depend on when you last turned off the car.
Warning, I am no electrical expert and may have this wrong!!!

If the car draws say 0.1 amps of current when locked up, that equates to about 30 watts of energy over 24 hours. If the battery saver came on for 20 mins and pumped energy back in at 14.5v / 6 amps, it would replenish the deficit (give or take charging losses). The car could (subject to traction battery capacity) sit indefinitely and always start.

I haven't seen any specs on it to know if that's what it puts out though. That output doesn't sound unreasonable as it's less than the headlights consume for example. One presumes that the output from the 12v charging circuit is more than capable of keeping up with most of the onboard 12v systems all on at the same time. If not, you are in the realms of a dynamo clad Morris Minor which with its lights and wipers on would eventually die due to a deficit of electrons. Maybe that is the issue though, maybe under heavy load, the car is relying on stored 12v energy from the battery rather than direct from the charging circuit in which case, battery depletion would potentially be a more regular occurrence. It would save on the cost of the charging circuit but is a completely naff design if that is what it is. By design, such a system would demand a larger capacity battery and one which could cope better with deeper cycling.

It's essentially useless, it just prolongs the inevitable complete discharge of the battery.
Of course it doesn't work in the long run if the battery is losing more each day than the saver is replenishing but surely, that is better than a traditional car which just sits there eating its 12v battery until it dies? Is that the definition of useless? Its use would seem to be to prolong the point at which you have a flat battery :unsure:

·
Registered
276 Posts
That doesn't explain why some of us (me included) have never had this problem (touch wood) and I have had my car for a year now - others are seeing this problem after only a few months.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That doesn't explain why some of us (me included) have never had this problem (touch wood) and I have had my car for a year now - others are seeing this problem after only a few months.
Have you left yours without charging for 3 or 4 days? Mine was fine up until a month ago when I left it without a charge for 4 days. It was dead. I think I got mine about the same time as you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had my car since the beginning of February this year. Over the past three weeks the car has only done a couple of miles because of the lockdown. So far I have not had any problems. Over this time it has not been on charge. Battery maintenance is set to on but I do not know if it has activated.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a feeling the battery gradually depletes. I had left it for some days before in it's early days with no problem.

101 - 120 of 217 Posts