Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems there are lots of posts on Facebook about 12V battery problems. Has anyone experienced that on here?

If so, what software version are you using?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems there are lots of posts on Facebook about 12V battery problems. Has anyone experienced that on here?

If so, what software version are you using?
I took ownership of an ID3 first edition at the beginning of October. Less than two weeks later, I had to call out roadside recovery to jumpstart the car, the 12V battery was totally drained.

My VW dealership were unable to identify reason for the battery failure. This Monday (23rd November) the car’s software was updated from version 0564, to 0570.

It remains to be seen whether this resolves the problem; however, I have my doubts.

I have been monitoring the 12V battery state using the 'We Connect ID' app. This shows an error message when the 12V battery is low. I believe this gives some advance warning before the 12V battery totally dies.

Unfortunately, this error message has reappeared after the software update. I've yet to see whether the car starts.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 12V issue seems not to affect everyone, and some are saying it’s a hardware issue and not software.

Does it only affect 1.ST Edition models?

·
Registered
95 Posts
If anyone is wondering, this article makes it clear that you CAN use a 12v battery charger, jump start box on an EV.
You shouldn't use an EV to jumpstart another vehicle though....
Might make a good Xmas present for an ID3 owner :0)

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
895 Posts
If I'd bought an ID3 and was worried about the 12V battery, either because of a fault in the car or due to it having been stored for ages, then I'd buy one of these:

Battery tester for 12V battery

I have one because Renault recommend changing the 12V battery every 3 years on the ZOE, but when I tested mine at 3 years it had plenty life left in it.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I'd bought an ID3 and was worried about the 12V battery, either because of a fault in the car or due to it having been stored for ages, then I'd buy one of these:

Battery tester for 12V battery

I have one because Renault recommend changing the 12V battery every 3 years on the ZOE, but when I tested mine at 3 years it had plenty life left in it.
You can get Bluetooth ones so you can monitor the car remotely apparently. Then I think people have said you can leave the car in drive for 20 minutes and it charges the 12V from the HV battery.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see lots of comments about people buying 12V battery chargers. Given that all ID.3s come with roadside assistance, why not just ring VW and let them sort it out?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,802 Posts
I see lots of comments about people buying 12V battery chargers. Given that all ID.3s come with roadside assistance, why not just ring VW and let them sort it out?
For me, it’s a convenience thing I suppose. You still might have to wait a couple of hours for VW/AA to get to you, by which time you could be on your way.

I’ve had one of those Lipo jump packs for a few years now, never had to use it on my own vehicle, but helped a couple of folks in car parks who’d left their lights on.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
626 Posts
The Kia eNiro YouTuber Mr. EV ran out of power called roadside assistance Their on van generator failed and they called on a flatbed. Took about 4 hours!!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour, Stonewashed Blue
55 Posts
You can get Bluetooth ones so you can monitor the car remotely apparently. Then I think people have said you can leave the car in drive for 20 minutes and it charges the 12V from the HV battery.
Can't claim to have used it on an ID.3 battery yet (though I intend to when I get mine soon), but this Bluetooth monitor has been handy for tracking the charge on my Golf's battery during lockdown: Battery-Guard 6899, Black, 40 x 25 x 20 mm: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

You can just walk by the car with the app open on the phone to pick up the current voltage. A couple of screenshots from the English version of the app attached.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't claim to have used it on an ID.3 battery yet (though I intend to when I get mine soon), but this Bluetooth monitor has been handy for tracking the charge on my Golf's battery during lockdown: Battery-Guard 6899, Black, 40 x 25 x 20 mm: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

You can just walk by the car with the app open on the phone to pick up the current voltage. A couple of screenshots from the English version of the app attached.

View attachment 138213 View attachment 138214
Thanks. Perhaps prevention is better than cure, and seeing a drop in the 12V battery means you have time to turn the car on for a while to allow the HV system to top the 12V up.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've got one of these battery monitors on my boat. It was a bit expensive and I have to pay an annual subscription for the service but it sends a voltage and temperature measurement to the server roughly every 4 hours via GSM, The website presents the data in a graphical form and as a bonus it uses the GSM network to triangulate the monitors position, it's not as good as a tracker but the indicated position is usually within a few hundred metres of the true position. The current consumption is minimal and as you log into a website to view the readings you can do so remotely, even abroad when you've left your car at the airport. My only reservation would be if you would need to position it carefully within a metal box of a car to connect to the telephone network reliably.

SafeCurrent -The simple way to remotely check your battery condition

·
Registered
586 Posts
My parents have been having trouble with their boat battery recently... Pretty sure they haven't seen these, I'll forward on the link. Amazing what you can find randomly on unrelated forums :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
This morning I was contacted by VW, to tell me that they would be installing the latest 2.0 software update. And that this software update should resolve the 12 volt battery discharge problem. They will be also replacing the original 12 volt battery, which has now developed a fault (presumably it has been damaged by being totally drained – as it was tested by the garage when I originally had the initial problem). The software version I had was 0570, this was upgraded from 0564. I was told that the 2.0 software version isn't the major software released promised for Q1 2021.

I shall be picking up the car tomorrow, and will be keeping my fingers crossed that this does resolve the problem.

I'm getting fed up with calling out VW roadside assist, and visits to the VW dealership.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.