Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

So, I to appear to be experiencing the issues with the 12V battery. Drove my car up to the end of the road, and parked up as had a call on my mobile which I needed to take (yes, I did try using bluetooth, but the phone call wouldn't route to the BT even though my phone was paired). Parked up on side of the road to take the call; turned car off (just in case the boys in blue were around).

Finished my call, tried to turn the car - nothing. I got the yellow car icon with the ! mark through it, the yellow ! in the top left and the red battery light showing. On the display, it says press break and start - which I did, but nothing! Car can go into neutral, but that's all.

Called Nissan EV assist who are arranging for the car to be picked up (tomorrow, Saturday, as there is no technical support available) and taking to my local Nissan garage. Got a courtesy car booked for 5 days whilst they investigate.

It appears that this is an issue effecting the LEAF (lots of threads on this subject), so @NissanGB - when are you going to resolve this? Clearly there is an issue with the 12V battery being discharged / not charged enough? I do not drive short distances so I know that the battery is charged fully correctly.

My LEAF is a 66 plate, and only 6 months old.

Thoughts?

Kieren

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I would doubt the battery would have failed after only 6 months.

A more suitable battery going forward for Nissan to use would probably be a lithium 12v battery or even a more "leisure" type battery / AGM that's designed for slow discharge rather than cold cranking amps which isn't needed in an EV.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The Leaf 12v issue isn't about the battery itself but more about the system that's supposed to keep it in good order. Despite a lot of research and investigation I have been unable to discover the reason for the problem. I have given up and now simply keep a close eye on it's state of charge. And put it on a conditioning charge at least once a month whether it shows a good charge or not. I have just returned from a 3 week trip to the USA. The car was left with a 30% charge whilst I was away.The green ball in the 12v battery was absent from its window when I checked yesterday so it went on smart charge overnight. Today the battery charger was showing 'full' but the green ball still hasn't put in an appearance despite being driven around to shake it up a bit. Could it be low on water ?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
It shouldn't be unless you have a serious problem, aren't most batteries these days "sealed for life" so have re-combiner caps and don't need to be topped up?
I know. But shaking the battery hard the green ball can be seen slightly as it bobs back and forth - as if it wants to float in sight but there isn't enough liquid there.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You can still lose electrolyte from a sealed battery. There are videos showing you how to top them up on youtube. I guess its when its overcharged and it is forced out.
A Leaf shouldn't be overcharging the battery though, the dc-dc converter tops out at around 14.4 volts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
6 months would be an electrical fault.. Batteries last way longer than that even on EVs. Never had an issue on my year old leaf even leaving it for over a week.

I suspect newer generation EVs will start using different batteries for 12v - the ones we are using now were designed to power starter motors not be run at maximum of a few amps for their entire lives - this impacts their longevity (I read that the load spike powering the starter motor actually conditions the battery and helps keep it healthy).

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Is it just me, but I can't help but notice you never seem to see Leafer's who have the Solar PV Panel (aka Solar Cell Spoiler) reporting battery issues on forums. Maybe it is just because a very low % of people have one? Or Maybe it actually does work well?

What do you think, does the PV panel pro-long the 12V battery health and reduce potential problems? Maybe it is worth that few quids extra investment?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is it just me, but I can't help but notice you never seem to see Leafer's who have the Solar PV Panel (aka Solar Cell Spoiler) reporting battery issues on forums. Maybe it is just because a very low % of people have one? Or Maybe it actually does work well?

What do you think, does the PV panel pro-long the 12V battery health and reduce potential problems? Maybe it is worth that few quids extra investment?
Nope.

Mines died twice with a solar spoiler:

Nissan Leaf 12V battery totally dead

Nissan Leaf 12V battery totally dead

If you read those posts, you'll see both times the car wasn't "sleeping" properly for several days before. Don't know whether that killed it or that was a symptom of something else remiss.

Both times just re-charged 12V. Battery at 3 years now.

I've just noticed: first time May 2015; second time April 2016. Maybe I'm due!
Also both times were after returning from Wales. Guess where I will be returning from in a week or so. Might start checking12v battery in leafspy...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Jack - no, haven't run it flat. Car is driven long enough to charge the battery (at least I believe so...)

@Tony Hale - agree, it is likely to be an electrical fault (only thought it was the battery as this light also was lit).

Let's wait and see...

All I know it is very frustrating... :)

Update: just got a call from the hire car company. They are unable to drop a car off to me, and asked if I can come and collect. Hmm, so my car is in the garage... answer is.. :) Thankfully my partner is here and can take me to collect the hire car.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I have this PV and still have had 2 battery flat incidents on a 2013 Acenta. I suspect the panel is too small to be much use, especially in winter. Or maybe my panel has stopped working. There is probably no sensor built in to tell it works.

When the OP said "I got the yellow car icon with the ! mark through it, the yellow ! in the top left and the red battery light showing" reminds me that I got that today when charging a flat 12V, see my other posts today. But when I disconnected and reconnected the 12V it cleared the warnings and the car ran. So I wonder if you had done this that you could have continued your journey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've nearly agreed to swap my 2011 acenta for a 15 one. Not yet 3 years old, I asked the dealer to do a battery check and they need to replace the 12 volt battery in order to do this. I have had no problem with my 7 year old leaf. I'm wondering why this newer one should have this issue. It's very low miles, less than 4k. Should I steer clear? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
T
I've nearly agreed to swap my 2011 acenta for a 15 one. Not yet 3 years old, I asked the dealer to do a battery check and they need to replace the 12 volt battery in order to do this. I have had no problem with my 7 year old leaf. I'm wondering why this newer one should have this issue. It's very low miles, less than 4k. Should I steer clear? Any advice appreciated.
The battery is checked via the obd2 port. Not sure why they need to replace that to do the test unless it's flat.

My 2011 12v goes flat after a few days of none use. I would say if the battery checks out then go for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts