Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a first time owner of an EV and in my case a new Leaf 40, 250 miles on the clock. Hasn’t been used much due to the fact I have been shielding most of the time.

As we are not allowed out now, I am worried about the 12v battery deteriorating and would like some advice about maintaining it. I see two options, take it for a drive every now and again which I think may now be illegal or buy a battery charger and put it on charge once a month or so. I had a quick look at Amazon and the battery chargers seem to have come along tremendously since I last owned one.

Would really appreciate some advice. Car is parked in our driveway and access to a 13 amp socket is there.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
I’m a first time owner of an EV and in my case a new Leaf 40, 250 miles on the clock. Hasn’t been used much due to the fact I have been shielding most of the time.

As we are not allowed out now, I am worried about the 12v battery deteriorating and would like some advice about maintaining it. I see two options, take it for a drive every now and again which I think may now be illegal or buy a battery charger and put it on charge once a month or so. I had a quick look at Amazon and the battery chargers seem to have come along tremendously since I last owned one.

Would really appreciate some advice. Car is parked in our driveway and access to a 13 amp socket is there.
The LEAF is quite good at defending its 12v battery and tops it up daily from the HV battery. However, if you have additional electrics attached that are always on (some dashcams etc.) then it is possible to flatten the battery.

To keep it topped up you have identified the two options
  • "run" the car - you don't actually have to drive it, just leave it turned on for a while (although keep it safe from being stolen!).
  • buy a battery conditioner - they are cheap and effective

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
357 Posts
...I see two options, take it for a drive every now and again which I think may now be illegal...
It’s not illegal to drive to a supermarket (you don’t even have to get out of the car) so you’ll still have plenty of opportunities, treat yourself to a weekly drive out and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
None of my cars get used very much at all, so 12V battery health is always a concern.

I have had a LEAF 30 for nearly 4 years and have never used any sort of 12V battery conditioner, and it sits outside. Tempting fate I know, but it's still got the same 12V battery in it.

As for the ICEs... garaged, have always used...
AA 1.5 Amp 6 V/12 V Car Battery Charger Maintainer AA4956 UK Plug Fully Automatic with Crocodile Clamps Eyelet Connectors As Used By AA Patrols: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

And those outside (I use the older model with less power, but it's basically the same...
AA 12V Car Solar Battery Charger 4.8W AA1432 - For Vehicles And Caravans - Battery Connectors Included: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

That's what works for me YMMV.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,559 Posts
Just like other cars with lead acid battery, turning on the car for 10-15min stationary once a week should be enough to keep the 12v battery in good health. Unlike fossil fuel engine cars, EV doesn't heavily strain the battery when starting up, so a shorter running period can recharge more of the 12v battery.
But specific to EV, be sure to try to keep the main high voltage battery charged at around 50%. Long period sitting at very high or very low state of charge is bad for the Li-on battery.

If you are buying battery charger for use outdoors, be sure to buy weatherproof ones (eg that AA one linked above).

The solar panel module, I always wondered about those...... do they work well placed under windscreen? I thought windscreens are meant to filter out most of UV.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
The solar panel module, I always wondered about those...... do they work well placed under windscreen? I thought windscreens are meant to filter out most of UV.
They do, but as the 12v turns off you need to hard wire them on the LEAF. Also, there's not a lot of solar generation at the moment, and the orientation is important so it isn't easy to get a lot of charge from one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe that for most cars, 'starting' the car (so that you see the green 'READY' text in the dashboard) is more than enough. At that point, the traction battery to 12v converter will be running & your battery will be being charged.
If you want to save energy, switch off everything else (lights, radio, heater/ac) - although saying that it's often best to give air conditioning systems a run of at least 30 mins a month just to ensure that no seals dry out or perish.

The vehicle doesn't have to move at all, so the actual 'hit' on the traction battery should be trivial. If you've got the car in a secure place (e.g. garage) then you could easily leave it unattended in the meantime. Or just sit in it and listen to the radio or read for a while.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
357 Posts
Reactions: TylerCello

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
716 Posts
I know they say we’re not ‘allowed’ to go out but in all honesty there’s nothing stopping anyone from going for a drive every couple of days, even if you don’t get out the car. Keeps the mind and car in good health 👍🏼

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Mate just drive the damn thing. Buy a telly from curry’s and go collect it or something.

Pro tip: everything is basically open, nobody cares where you go

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,144 Posts
Freezing weather, rear brakes can jam on and not release, just driving in reverse every couple of days will free them - regular drive keeps everything in order.

Couple of youtube video of "what if the 12v battery fails"

40kWh Nissan Leaf - Dead 12v battery

40kWh Nissan Leaf - 12v Battery Fault update + Rapidgate fix issue

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
348 Posts
probs not relevant to the 40kwh but the early gen1s have a serious fault where the precharge resistor will blow due to a low 12v, cold weather and sticking relay. I'm told this is a firmware issue which is why its largely not seen in later generation leafs. The issue is you have to drop the main pack and open it to fix it with a non oem part since the originals are far too expensive, Terrible design and worth looking in to ovms to monitor 12v health so that the situation can be avoided as afterward you need a tow as the car will not go into drive without a working precharge resistor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts