Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New to the forum and new to Ampera (or my Sports Taxi as my son like to call it). I see that many of you are recommending the replacement of the battery after 3 years - mines done 5 years/ 90k miles so I thought I would do the same. Vauxhall are quoting £275 which seems a little crazy and I wondered if anyone knew of any cheaper options? I'm not sure what I'm shopping for. many thanks

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,453 Posts
Mine is 4 years and 4 months old with 93k under the bonnet. Only had one glitch with the battery, or at least that is what the dealership put it down to. Loads of warning lights, messages about this and that not being available, no or little regeneration, reduced power and no speedo display. All fine after an overnight charge and as it was going into the dealership anyway for it's MOT I had them look at it. All they did was charge the 12v overnight and it's been fine since (I do not carry a lithium charge pack just in case to start the car).

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
That's the battery the RAC fitted for me the other day - seems to have solved all my problems, which I think are odd for a 2012 model with 22K on the clock

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,453 Posts
The 12 volt is coming up to 6 years old, if original, and it may have been sitting with a low state of charge which they don't like. Hopefully, that is the end of this particular problem. Hope the big one is sorted in a similarly straightforward manner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So much has been written about the importance of maintaining a healthy 12v battery voltage that I've decided to change mine every two years anyway. Looking around for a reasonably priced AGM replacement I went for the Lucas LF027 which was just under £100 delivered from Tanya.

Just one word of caution though - the vent position on the OEM article is on the RH side as you look into the boot area. For some annoying reason, the Lucas battery has it on the left, which is under the plastic block that holds all the 12v feeds. So I had to buy a short length of 5mm pipe and a 5mm connector to extend the vent pipe, and cut a small slot with a mini hacksaw in the plastic box so it would fit back onto the battery. Fortunately the slot is right behind one of the 12cable so you can easily saw either side of it, then drill out the top of the slot to make a neat job.

Anyway - buyer beware - check where the vent comes out !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts