Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 64 plate Tekna 24kWh has a Renault Nissan branded battery. 24410 JD11A is the Nissan fitment information written on the battery.

Anyone know what is the actual physical size of the battery? I've measured it to be W17.5 x D21 x H21 cm, but could well be wrong.

What is the standard battery size number for gen 1.5 Leaf? Closest I can see is type 012, which is 17.5 x 21 x H19 cm.
List of common battery size numbers to the left side of this page: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/

Anyone done battery replacement? Care to share links to the battery you bought? Was it same size as original? Is it a straight swap?

Back story:

I've had the car serivced last Friday. The service battery tester showed it cannot draw more than 280 A for my 420 A rated battery. The dealer recommend changing the battery.

Originally, I've zero plan changing the battery. But since we plan to keep the car long term, spending £50 before the cold winter should ensure reliable usaging of our Leaf through this winter, it's one less thing to worry.

3A4221C3-3CD0-4AF7-8892-440D1B56F830.jpeg

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done, it came back with this website: https://spareto.co.uk/oe/24410jd11a
This website doesn't contain the size numbering. But the size looks to be the same as type 012.

I'd just like a second opinion, preferably by someone who have done the replacement.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An 012 fitted my 2016 Tekna perfectly. I bought one from Tayna Batteries. It arrived the next day and slotted straight in.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/012/
May I ask specifically which one did you buy?

Anything problem with the car as result of loosing 12v power? eg. loosing settings etc.

The £32 "Powerline" looks very tempting...... any reason to spend 50% more for the "star buy" at £49?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The recommendation is that you should replace a battery with one of a similar capacity. I completely ignored that and did, actually, buy that Powerline one. It's been fine so far but... I did notice that my EO charge point seems to supply current that the car uses to charge the 12v battery even when it's not actually charging the traction battery so, in my car, the 12v battery gets a charge every two or three days. If you tend to leave your car for many days without plugging it in or taking it for a run, a larger capacity battery might be a better bet.

As far as losing settings, there was nothing significant lost as a result of disconnecting the 12v battery.

"The service battery tester showed it cannot draw more than 280 A for my 420 A rated battery. "

As far as that goes, your leaf doesn't need to draw a high current, it doesn't have a starter motor so unless you're having issues, why change it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've came across threads on this very forum saying treat 12v battery as a consumable. So if I replace the 12v with cheapest every 3-4 years, it'll last us 6+ years. With the way Leaf charges its 12v, even buying the best one with 5 years warranty but double the price (£63) may still mean having to change the battery at or before 5 years. So I think I'll go with "Powerline".

Our Leaf gets used every single day, plugged in almost everyday. I also have home automation that polls the Leaf once every 2 hours (down from default once an hour). 44 Ah vs 50 Ah is 88% of original capacity, doesn't sound like too much decrease, it'll be better than my traction battery degradation, haha.

As far as that goes, your leaf doesn't need to draw a high current, it doesn't have a starter motor so unless you're having issues, why change it?
That is very true. I'm still weighing up buying new battery for Leaf or a 12v Li-ion booster battery. The booster battery can be carried with us in our 6 years old diesel (which may also need a new expensive AGM stop/start battery soon).

This thread is for gathering information. Hopefully help other gen 1.5 Leaf owners in their search.

Thank you for your detailed post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts