Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

i think the 12v battery is about to die on my env200, whats your thoughts on replacing it with a AGM battery, my prius has one fitted to it and its been faultless.

Thanks.

Anthony.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi buddy, yes, the battery is definately shot, it was actually smoking, very hot, looks like a dead short in cell 3.

Thankfully i had a battery in the shed from my wifes Juke that I changed before the winter, it just fitted, so thats on at thre moment, i`ll get a battery for it tomorrow, looking at changing to a AGM battery.

Thanks.

Hi
This may appear random... but have you put new washer fluid in recently?

The combination of old and new fluid (red and yellow.. and vice versa) can often smell like rotten Eggs!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might be worth running a voltmeter over the battery terminal when charging and make sure it is not overvolting and cooking your battery before putting a new one in

Ive not experienced a flooded battery boiling or shorting out since the 80's, quality is normally very good and electrolite losses very low.

That said, others on here have noted how hard the battery is worked on these vehicles, running heating and accessories at standstill etc...

I'm looking at changing to lithium race starter batteries as prices have really come down recently - good quality ones with low voltage protection start at about £120 now and should last the life of the vehicle

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks,

I did do this, it measured 14.4V, so pretty much as expected.
The battery has now been changed and all is working well. I opted for Bosch S4 calcium flooded battery. I did consider a AGM battery but it was at least 2 x the price, with a 5 yr warranty. I can fit 2 bosch batteries and have an 8yr warranty, so opted for the bosch.
Thanks for the advice anyway, much appreciated.

Anthony.

Might be worth running a voltmeter over the battery terminal when charging and make sure it is not overvolting and cooking your battery before putting a new one in

Ive not experienced a flooded battery boiling or shorting out since the 80's, quality is normally very good and electrolite losses very low.

That said, others on here have noted how hard the battery is worked on these vehicles, running heating and accessories at standstill etc...

I'm looking at changing to lithium race starter batteries as prices have really come down recently - good quality ones with low voltage protection start at about £120 now and should last the life of the vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts