Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we know any more yet about the 12V battery swap "campaign" and the 2.4 update at the dealer?

Timings, when will it come and how long will it take?
Why is the battery needed?
What will the software update add?

Also anything on the 3.0 update OTA the will follow it?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
What functionality will this upgrade allow to be implemented that the original battery fitted to pre-2.3 built cars can't do in their current hardware state? I thought it was mentioned previously, but can't remember.

If it is needed, this will cist VW quite a bit, and they're not well known for spending money that they don't have to.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
410 Posts
Do we know any more yet about the 12V battery swap "campaign" and the 2.4 update at the dealer?

Timings, when will it come and how long will it take?
Why is the battery needed?
What will the software update add?

Also anything on the 3.0 update OTA the will follow it?
I don't think there has been anything official other than that we would hear more by the end of March (that was posted by VW on the ID driver's Facebook group, 2 or 3 weeks ago).
About a week ago, someone at VW messed up and posted an article on the website. It got put on some Facebook forums before they took it down. It didn't tell us anything new though, other than that when the time comes it will be for us to contact our dealer.
Battery Life (YouTube) was at some VW event last Friday which he was being all schtum about but I had the distinct impression at least some of it was about software upgrades - he said he's allowed to talk about it from Monday so will be doing some videos next week. Which sort of lines up with VW saying we'd hear more before the end of March. I wouldn't be surprised if they put something out on Monday.
Battery Life has also said that the main point of 2.4 is (1) to enable 3.0 and (2) to fix the battery heating consumption problem in cold weather - but I don't know where he got his information.
(I'm not even sure yet whether my car is going to need it. I've seen everything from all cars need the lot, to cars built with 2.3 don't need any of it and can go straight to 3.0, or cars built with 2.3 don't need the battery but still need to visit a dealer and get 2.4...etc. It's not a good look if they're even calling in the cars to the dealer that are being delivered to customers this month.)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Frankly the promises of over the updates for the ID.3 have not to my mind been met. 18 months after I took delivery of my car there's been one over the air update, which some people still haven't had. Apart from a couple of bug fixes the only new feature has been the ability to change the home button to a flag and they didn't even incorporate the UK wide Union flag in that. The sat nav maps haven't even been regularly updated. The time taken to fix the winter battery heating issue seems extraordinary.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Apart from a couple of bug fixes the only new feature has been the ability to change the home button to a flag and they didn't even incorporate the UK wide Union flag in that. .
Brexit revenge? :LOL:

On every VW I've had with Satnav, updates have only been available approx. every 6 months and we've had to download and install manually. Presumably sat nav updates are now expected to happen automatically and over the air for ID3?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Frankly the promises of over the updates for the ID.3 have not to my mind been met.
I'd say that's a bit of an understatement! The ID range software is a farce at the moment. It's difficult to understand how they could have messed it up so badly that the first cars needed a dealer visit to install a version that can download OTA updates (2.1), then after one OTA update (2.3) all cars will need to go back again to get the next version (2.4) that will allow further OTA updates (3.0+).

It may seem petty but if the software wasn't so poor and was more responsive I likely would have kept my ID.3 for longer. As it stands the software was a major annoyance to me that the system was so slow and clunky, it frustrated me to use at all. With the lag, skipping while listening to Spotify, random crashes etc, it just tipped me over the edge. I know Tesla is a different beast but I've had my car 3 weeks and have seamlessly downloaded & installed 5 updates. A few new features and some bug fixes, but importantly it just "works".

Apart from a couple of bug fixes the only new feature has been the ability to change the home button to a flag and they didn't even incorporate the UK wide Union flag in that.
The flags available in the car are the countries that took part in Euro 2020 I believe. The Union Flag is a bit of an anomaly as it's not a country flag.

Presumably sat nav updates are now expected to happen automatically and over the air for ID3?
Yes they definitely update OTA, and separately from the software versions. My car updated twice (that I noticed) while I had it.

Reactions: Monkeyhanger

·
Registered
99 Posts

this from 1d3 forum:

For anyone know doesn't want to watch, 2.4 is to be delivered via a dealer in Q2, some cars will also need the new battery but not all, and the 2.4 upgrades should (as well as enabling 3.0 OTA) include:
  • changing when a cold car heats the battery so it happens in steps (as cars built with 2.3 seemingly already have)
  • allowing the car to heat the battery when plugged in (wasn't clear to me whether you can prompt this yourself though so I assume not?)
  • upgrading peak charging power to 120kW for 58kWh cars (again, cars built with 2.3 already have this)
  • fixing the charge timer functions

This came from a VW event the other week so is presumably reliable information. Info on 3.0 over the next couple of days.

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

But Chris added this below the Video

VERY VERY IMPORTANT !!!! I have been informed by VW, there has been a change. The higher DC peak charging power for the Id.3 Pro (58 kWh) will be implemented with 3.0 I am very sorry I had wrong info.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,491 Posts
I’m not sure what VW have done with the current 2.3 software on cars built with it, but last week I swapped out my ID.3 1st Edition for an ID.4 GTX, so I’ve had a bit of time to compare the two iterations of the same software.

I was generally pretty happy with 2.3 in the ID.3, most of the bugs have gone and it‘s almost 100% stable. The remaining bug bears were the slow startup (albeit much improved since 2.3) and occasional general lag when performing some operations.

The ID.4 starts up much quicker, ie no screen saying ’navigation/vehicle settings not yet available’, so presumably they’ve upgraded the computing horsepower somewhere. The pull down shortcut menu is sometimes stubborn to appear though, and there’s still the driving on the right/left bug for headlights.

The cold weather short journey efficiency seems better as well, I’m doing exactly the same trips as in the ID.3 and a couple of times the last few days it’s been a -2c start and it’s using noticeably less.

We get so many updates on the M3, I wonder sometimes what they’re changing now. My wife in particular gets very irritated with the bombardment of updates. She also finds the media options in the Tesla poor, she’d love to have Apple CarPlay in it.

I hope VW continue to improve the software in the ID models, although I read that you’ll need some kind of side sensor setup to benefit from things like park assist and the lane change stuff. If your ID doesn’t have them, they won’t be implemented apparently, which makes sense I suppose. Mind you, I had Park Assist on my 2015 GTE, I never used it, and I would never let a car change lane for me either, so by the time I’ve checked over my shoulder and tapped the indicator stalk, I may as well do the manoeuvre myself especially as the ID ACC doesn’t disengage by a mere lane change.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I’m not sure what VW have done with the current 2.3 software on cars built with it, but last week I swapped out my ID.3 1st Edition for an ID.4 GTX
I can't believe you are deserting us, you have been the level head on this ID.3 forum. The ID.4 lot are lucky to have you joining them.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,491 Posts
I can't believe you are deserting us, you have been the level head on this ID.3 forum. The ID.4 lot are lucky to have you joining them.
I’m not deserting you guys, I still love the ID.3, and it’s developing into a great EV.

If I could have got my hands on a 77kWh version this side of 2023 I would have.

The ID.4 is lovely, and surprisingly efficient so far on my regular journeys, although it has got slightly warmer since I’ve had it, but it is bigger than I’d normally drive.

Ideally I’d have an ID.3 GTX, but still seems a way off especially with supply chains as they are.

·
Registered
VW id3 Style
84 Posts
Just watched the Electric Viking - EV You Tuber on the upcoming VW 3.0 software update - Qtr.2 this year? Intriguingly he mentioned that as part of the 3.0 software update, the range and the energy efficiency of the ID3/ID4 are going to be improved also? Anyone hear more details on this??

·
Registered
VW id3 Style
84 Posts
On mature reflection I think this might be just about adjusting the winter battery heating parameters .......which of course will result in improved efficiencies and hence increased range in colder temperatures:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
10,491 Posts
On mature reflection I think this might be just about adjusting the winter battery heating parameters .......which of course will result in improved efficiencies and hence increased range in colder temperatures:rolleyes:
There was some talk around this last year, along with the ‘e-shop’ feature, where you could ‘purchase’ extra range for a very long trip.

I think the conclusion was that it was possible VW could open up access to the buffers to give an extra 20 or so miles etc.

It’s also possible that VW will tweak other things along with the battery heating algorithms that might help with efficiency too, but guess we’ll find out soon.

1 - 20 of 316 Posts