Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
301 - 320 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID3 Family PP 58kWh, glacier white, east derry alloys
42 Posts
Booked online at Inchcape Stockport and surprised to be offered 24 Aug. A couple of hours later in response Inchcape phoned and told me this date was not possible - the 'need 2 techs' story - and offered 23 Nov (!) with 2 day courtesy car. Ok with me but why does their booking system not work more efficiently?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Booked online at Inchcape Stockport and surprised to be offered 24 Aug. A couple of hours later in response Inchcape phoned and told me this date was not possible - the 'need 2 techs' story - and offered 23 Nov (!) with 2 day courtesy car. Ok with me but why does their booking system not work more efficiently?
As I think ii posted somewhere above 😁 on Monday I was offered 25th Nov at Inchcape Stockport - so a similar stormy. Bit I was able to get late sept at their Trafford Branch - one day - with courtesy car. Worth A try?

·
Registered
VW ID3 Family PP 58kWh, glacier white, east derry alloys
42 Posts
As I think ii posted somewhere above 😁 on Monday I was offered 25th Nov at Inchcape Stockport - so a similar stormy. Bit I was able to get late sept at their Trafford Branch - one day - with courtesy car. Worth A try?
Good idea thanks but Trafford is further away and am in no great hurry. Impressed by quick phone back from Inchcape and that they seemed to be organised for the update now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Phoned a few days ago, got it booked in for 2nd September. I suspect I could have had it done a bit sooner but I took up their offer of a courtesy car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My saga continues...though might get it back on Wednesday, after they received a new module. Now getting an error on Lane Assist. Then Thursday it seemed like my rear camera was the wrong part number in the database! I have a ID.3 1st Edition, with all parts specced in the order (including transport hitch). So I couldn't understand why my camera module was not in the database. It's VW, built by VW and fitted in the VW factory.
Anyway Friday came, and the part number was not the issue. VW are asking for more (I presume log files etc.) info about the error. So another weekend in the T Cross curtesy car. Maybe Monday, but I'd expect more like Tuesday.
On another note, to add to my paranoia, my VW 2011 T5.1 LWB 2l diesel campervan is in for a service (not the same garage) and despite only having done 20k miles on the timing belt it should be replaced. Seems like 5 years have gone quickly. They cannot do it in the time slot, so that'll be next month. But I haven't got my van back as the alternator pull needs sorting - squeaky and stuff. So instead of getting any can back on Friday, it'll be Monday.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I received my email today from VW Customer Service inviting me to book my car in with my local retailer to have a new and improved 12v battery fitted and the 2.4 software update. My car is a 1st and I purchased it in Nov 2020 (so 21 months old and 23,000 miles). Having dutifully (or more accurately, stupidly) waited until I received the invite email, I called in at my local retailer today. When I explained what I wanted the after sales advisor sucked through his teeth (I expect this was stage 1 of his training) and advised that installing 2.4 was taking longer than expected, so they were only booking in 2 cars per week. Not a problem I thought, because both 2.1 and 2.3 had to be installed at this same retailer, and each took 2 days. The earliest date he could offer was mid November - 3 months time! I have absolutely no idea what I will be doing in 3 months, so I politely rejected his proposed date and left. He seemed surprised that I had said "no thanks". My car will need its 2 year service in November, so when it gets booked in for the first service I will get the battery changed and the software updated at the same time. Anyone know what the waiting time is for servicing?

I am aware that there is a £199 service/MOT/brake fluid offer, so I need to find a way of getting this before I book the service. Is the £199 offer only available for cars with 2.4/3.0?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the update and battery completed a Lookers VW Preston. No issue at all. Simple to book, completed in the 2 days and handed back cleaned. I’ve had no issues with the car over 10,000 miles and so far so good with 2.4.
Had mine updated at Preston Lookers last week too. Took just over a day with no issues at the time and friendly overall service and knew all about it. Although sadly the car wasn't cleaned (which would have been a nice touch) despite it being with them for three days (as we were on holiday).
Unfortunately car went offline shortly after I got it home (didn't notice on the way home but could have been then) and hasn't restored connection yet. Grrrrrr.

Any tips on something I have to reinitialise or accept appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had mine updated at Preston Lookers last week too. Took just over a day with no issues at the time and friendly overall service and knew all about it. Although sadly the car wasn't cleaned (which would have been a nice touch) despite it being with them for three days (as we were on holiday).
Unfortunately car went offline shortly after I got it home (didn't notice on the way home but could have been then) and hasn't restored connection yet. Grrrrrr.

Any tips on something I have to reinitialise or accept appreciated.
Mine has gone off line 3 times over the last 21 months. In each case for around 10 days, but it always reconnected without any intervention. Many will advise that 'fuse 19' will fix it, and it probably will, but VW strongly advise not to pull fuses because it might cause other issues.

·
Registered
Volkwagen ID3 1st Edition
185 Posts
Mine has gone off line 3 times over the last 21 months. In each case for around 10 days, but it always reconnected without any intervention. Many will advise that 'fuse 19' will fix it, and it probably will, but VW strongly advise not to pull fuses because it might cause other issues.
Not sure whether a coincidence or not but on 2.3 I lost connectivity whilst in a no signal area and it took days to show up again regardless of the signal, driving and parking in a no signal area on 2.4 and it warns me about the loss but connects straight back once I get a signal again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes I was trying to avoid fuse 19 for now and sit tight. It's a Dec 2020 car and has never had an issue before this recent 2.4 update frustratingly.

I'm hoping as it's a bit of an interim on the way to 3.0 that it maybe just a bit of temporary flakyness on the way to something more stable and better. Never can tell though.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
355 Posts
Got the email today and decided maybe it’s time get it booked…

Phoned Telford VW (my nearest)… ”There’s a bit of a delay on this” she said, and then offered me a date in mid-September (which didn’t seem much of a delay to me, given what others here have encountered). I have various trips booked in September so opted for early October, just in case mine turns out to be a “problem child”... Not really in a rush, and it will give them more time to practise on other people’s 😉

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have chosen to ignore the service adviser at Vertu Lincoln, and booked mine in online :). 5 Sept is much better than mid November. However, I am fully aware that once they realise what I have done they will telephone and cancel my online booking. Hopefully this will enable a sensible discussion about a service and software update done in a single visit, at the discounted price - at least that is my plan.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3
3,774 Posts
Mine is a December 2020 registered Life. Got the email yesterday and booked it in for 2nd November! They only do one per day apparently at Vertu Skipton.

It's where I got the car, and the one before it, so I will go with the flow. They should be good at it by then at least.

·
Registered
97 Posts
1 per day is much better than the 2 per week at Vertu Lincoln. VW have really screwed up with this. The whole future of the company depends on the success of the ID range of cars, but the dealers are not equipped to work on them. Most dealers seem to have just 1 trained technician and/or just 1 workstation. I am certain they can deal with more than just 1 ICE car at a time and they probably have more than 1 set of spanners (and I am not referring to VW management).

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
288 Posts
From what I've learnt it seems the update itself is done via a USB install. I don't see why they can't create a installer for home use and then if it fails we go to the dealership. This would solve these massive queues.

The battery swap can be booked in but that is likely only a couple of hours at most with little chance of failure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From what I've learnt it seems the update itself is done via a USB install. I don't see why they can't create a installer for home use and then if it fails we go to the dealership. This would solve these massive queues.

The battery swap can be booked in but that is likely only a couple of hours at most with little chance of failure.
Battery swap is done mid-process between the updates. First part goes in via usb, not all.

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
288 Posts
Battery swap is done mid-process between the updates. First part goes in via usb, not all.
But it could be done is my point. I'm amazed they went this route instead of coding a way round this so the nerds and enthusiasts could atleast go it alone. The time and cost having it all done in the garages must be insane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At 8.45 tomorrow morning my ID.3 1st Edition will have been at the dealer that supplied it for 3 weeks. It consistently failed the software upgrade and it was decided that a replacement central control unit was required. The ETA for that was last Friday. I called today to see if there was any news but there wasn't. I asked them to do the 2 year service while the car was in their hands and this will (I hope) be done to save me another trip to hand the car over.

At present I have an ID.4 as a courtesy car so I'm not too bothered how long the ID.3 stands on their premises. I have no complaint with the dealer - apart from the lack of information about when I might expect my own car to be returned - but I do think that VW has messed up big time by launching a car that was - and is - manifestly not fit for purpose as far as its software is concerned.

Nothing's new, I suppose, Dieselgate wasn't that long ago but I keep recalling my days working as a product planner at Ford of Europe in the 1960s when exhaust emission control first took off in California. The DIN guys in Germany decided EEC regulations would soon be introduced everywhere so they asked their biggest manufacturer (VW) to supply them a bog standard Beetle off the production line so they could measure its emissions. The idea being that whatever VW could deliver without modification would set the standard and if this meant that other manufacturers had to add bits and pieces (e.g. catalytic converters) and incur expense at least VW wouldn't have to and this would maintain their profitability.
VW had no idea that this was DIN's motive so made very sure that the Beetle supplied was as clean as they could make it. How we all laughed when it turned out that Beetles were pretty dirty and a lot of effort had to be put into cleaning them up to meet the standards eventually promulgated.

There must be a very interesting management culture in Wolfsburg and it has lasted for a very long time.

·
Registered
422 Posts

I would say that if that was so, and it failed, the car may not even be able to get to the dealers. As for self-installation, then I doubt that it is very much like applying some latest mobile phone OS update. It should be, but the maturity and limited target numbers (compared to millions of phones) make it more difficult to create all the variety of test cases and the associated fixes. So comparing it to a phone update, or even a desktop, laptop update is not a reasonable view. It does seem that there are multiple systems and sub-systems which need to be tied up, and my ID.3 1st Edition (very early release) has had a module replaced, and even then the dealer is struggling to get an error message resolved. Maturity in my view would look like that the software updates apply smoothly in many more situations, and when they don't, the support, tools, diagnostics, parts, etc. need to be much more readily available to the dealerships. They too need more knowledge in depth and to more of their staff. My ID.3 was dropped off Thursday 28 July, so now I am three weeks without it.

301 - 320 of 418 Posts