Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Ampereans

Just a few quick questions, as some of you know I recently managed to acquire a new Ampera (64 plate translating to re-registered 12 MY), surprising after the serious issue I had with the last one, but I'm hooked as I love the car and hopefully this time I haven't got another 'problem' car. I gave it a thorough going over before deciding to purchase, all the usual cosmetic stuff, door button entry system on handles, condensation on rear cluster etc etc. The only thing I couldn't check was the 12v battery. So my questions are: (finally getting to the point lol) the current reading I'm getting from my in car plugin volt reader is 12.3-12.4v output whether car is turned off or on. So do you think that's ok, or do you think it's time to look at getting it replaced as it's getting close to the dreaded 12v and under level, which down the line will give me no end of problems. I am due to go down south in a few weeks and just thinking of popping in to Bellingers via an appointment to have the car fully health checked (by professionals who know what they're doing, rather than dealerships who dont gave a clue) . Hopefully this check will include battery health check as well as the dreaded bearing issue to ensure all is well and above board. If battery does need replacing which type should I go for? Whilst down south can Bellingers fit it for me, if I've purchased it separately from them? Do Bellingers do this sort of check on request? Anyone know roughly the cost for all the above?

I've had a look in the battery compartment but couldn't confirm what make of battery was in there?

Thanks in advance for any advice troops.

Dan

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My opinion.... Yes.
The inverter is 14.4v

12.3 on power on means your battery is absorbing a fair few watts just doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You need to measure the battery voltage across the terminals when the car is off. The 12v power sockets are only live when the car is on. The inverter is then probably in use.
I imagine you will need to request a battery check.
As an alternative, remove the plastic tray over it . (10mm long socket needed I think) and see what it is and if your lucky there will be a first charge date on it., Looks old replace!

I feel the cost (£100 or so for a new one + fitting) is in reality cheap insurance for the next 3-5 years. Its considerably less than my insurance premium! and split over a few years its not that much (a pint a month if you live down south ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Spiny

I'll look into all that thanks again to you and Marli for the advice, just a quick one if I go ahead with battery replacement what would be the best battery to get.

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I took my car to Bellinger's for a service and check over (after I acquired it in May) they checked the 12v battery for me and gave it the all clear - very re-assuring. If you do decide to change the 12v battery it isn't necessarily an expensive proposition - the choices are here.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The original battery seems to have been an AC Delco with a GM xxxxxxxx part number on it. Do lift the rear boot floor & check. If it`s the original, change it at once. 12.4V showing while driving is quite typical. Usually goes to over 14V immed after starting as the car gives it a boost. I recently saw 11.9V show on my 3 yr old Bosch,so I`ve changed that for a Lucas AGM. Prob a lot cheaper doing your own battery swap than getting Bellingers to do it, good though they are. So I suggest get them to just check the condition & report that to you.
The 2012 model doesn't recharge the 12V while the car's plugged in for days. The 2013 is better, and does a daily topup. so 2012s might need a battery conditioning charger if left for ages undriven.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts