Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that my 12v battery has died in my 2016 30kw Leaf. Are there any recommendations for a particular battery or is it just any battery that fits? Take it that there are no problems fitting a new one.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Something like this will do
If you can get the model of the battery then you can search in these ones

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
I was looking into this too, is it possible to fit say a larger Ah battery to give more run time for the things powered by it, it there an upper limit to the capacity of the 12v battery for a leaf, would having a larger capacity battery improve range, for example if the main traction battery did not sense the need to recharge the 12v due to it not being heavily discharged due to its larger capacity?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You will be limited by the space available.
You don't have a starter motor so CCA is pointless
45AH is plenty for a 16' Leaf but you can always try to get a Li-On battery more expensive but it will last a lot longer as long you don't let it run too low or have long driveway periods. Li-On batteries don't like to spend long periods doing nothing.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The battery charging on the LEAF30 is designed for a lead/acid battery so that it will not look after a Li-On properly.
Four years is about the life of a modern battery. I'd suggest sticking to the same form factor otherwise you'll have to fabricate new mounts.
A larger capacity battery will make no perceivable difference to range, the amount of energy in a 12v is less than 0.5kWh so even doubling it is minimal to the standard 25kWh in your traction battery. Concentrate instead on driving slightly slower or more smoothly, and turning the heating down slightly and using the preheat when plugged in.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As long the battery doesn't go too low (below 20%) a Li-On will charge on a "normal" charger.
If in doubt get a battery with own cell balancing system but those are more expensive.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,371 Posts
I've replaced my one in my '64 reg with this one end of last year:
Exide Premium 012 Car Battery 5 Years Warranty 53Ah 540cca 12V EA530

Works great and really easy to do. Chose this rather than the absolute cheapest was because this has 2 more years of warranty, was only £10 more expensive at the time, and according to Exide marketing material, this one charges quicker than standard lead-acid, so it's more suitable for EV's shorter charge cycle.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Exide are still acid batteries but use GMS (glass matt separator) material instead of flooded battery.
weight wise, they are not much lighter than normal flooded ones.
The only batteries that are lighter would be the Lithium ones but not because they are lighter but because for the same power you will have a smaller battery.
Again, the difference in weight is a few kg so on a 100 miles range you would hardly notice any difference.
Think about it as if it a couple carrier bags in the boot coming from the supermarket ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Just take the junk out of the trunk (boot) for a greater effect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exide are still acid batteries but use GMS (glass matt separator) material instead of flooded battery.
weight wise, they are not much lighter than normal flooded ones.
The only batteries that are lighter would be the Lithium ones but not because they are lighter but because for the same power you will have a smaller battery.
Again, the difference in weight is a few kg so on a 100 miles range you would hardly notice any difference.
Think about it as if it a couple carrier bags in the boot coming from the supermarket ;)
How about the use of a deep cycle battery, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
How about the use of a deep cycle battery, any ideas?
For what I just found out the disadvantage of deep cycle (DC) is the charging process.
While CCA batteries work better when being top-up most of the time the DC should be charged when nearer the lower recommended charge (looks like 25% for most) and unplugged once fully charged.
Also, I was surprised to see that AGM batteries are more easily damaged than traditional acid counterparts. So a point to consider.

Source: Best Marine Boat Battery 2019 - We Found It! - Deep Cycle Battery Buyers Guide

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Found this other one.
A gell DC battery.
weight is over 30kg so no gain in there and in the reviews there is mentioned that the battery should be charged at 14V not above or below.
and costs a whopping £180
Question on Amazon:
"Can I charge this battery with a ctek car charger and what voltage should it read when fully charged
Answer:Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in our products,

This would depend on the model of car charger, but only if the charger produces less than 20A and charges to a voltage 14.4V (Boost) and 13.6V (float). Please make sure that the charger is ‘intelligent’ (can be left unattended and completes its charging programs automatically).

Please get in touch with us directly at [email protected] if you require any additional technical support.

Kind Regards"

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Not forgetting the thin layer of paint you remove too.
But don't wax it. During WW2 they discovered that waxing the wings of the P51-D Mustang actually slowed it down - it was fastest in unwaxed painted rather than waxed polished form. Clearly someone had too much time on their hands ...... ;)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
But don't wax it. During WW2 they discovered that waxing the wings of the P51-D Mustang actually slowed it down - it was fastest in unwaxed painted rather than waxed polished form. Clearly someone had too much time on their hands ...... ;)
I don't understand, wax should make it more slippery

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found this other one.
A gell DC battery.
weight is over 30kg so no gain in there and in the reviews there is mentioned that the battery should be charged at 14V not above or below.
and costs a whopping £180
Question on Amazon:
"Can I charge this battery with a ctek car charger and what voltage should it read when fully charged
Answer:Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in our products,

This would depend on the model of car charger, but only if the charger produces less than 20A and charges to a voltage 14.4V (Boost) and 13.6V (float). Please make sure that the charger is ‘intelligent’ (can be left unattended and completes its charging programs automatically).

Please get in touch with us directly at [email protected] if you require any additional technical support.

Kind Regards"

Thanks for info, very useful.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I don't understand, wax should make it more slippery
Something to do with the design of the wing needing the flow to detach at the correct point - not at all applicable to the discussion about cars and just joshing about the futlity of some modifications.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts