Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conversation on another thread about picnics on long journeys to avoid the temptation of spending money on buying food to eat on long journeys during charging breaks got me thinking...

Would a 12v cooling bag like this be a good thing to take on long journeys to fill with water bottles and sandwiches and suchlike? Could plug it into the 12v in the boot of my ID.3 and being soft sided, it could squish down under the false boot floor the rest of the time.

Only thing I'm not sure of is, would running one of them on long journeys eat up much battery range? I appreciate this is probably a noddy question for a generally technically minded bunch like EV owners, but I have no idea what sort of power consumption something like that is likely to have!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
Or just buy a cool bag and stick a couple of freezer bricks in, works for me, costs you nothing when your out on a picnic. They can't really go wrong either, just melt then you re-freeze at night.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Conversation on another thread about picnics on long journeys to avoid the temptation of spending money on buying food to eat on long journeys during charging breaks got me thinking...

Would a 12v cooling bag like this be a good thing to take on long journeys to fill with water bottles and sandwiches and suchlike? Could plug it into the 12v in the boot of my ID.3 and being soft sided, it could squish down under the false boot floor the rest of the time.

Only thing I'm not sure of is, would running one of them on long journeys eat up much battery range? I appreciate this is probably a noddy question for a generally technically minded bunch like EV owners, but I have no idea what sort of power consumption something like that is likely to have!
I have a similar thing with solid sides. It takes about 3 amps, (36w) so may take 1 mile range for every 7 hours you run it.

BTW, I'd definitely get that one, if I did not have mine.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,928 Posts
Or just buy a cool bag and stick a couple of freezer bricks in, works for me, costs you nothing when your out on a picnic. They can't really go wrong either, just melt then you re-freeze at night.
Yeah, this is what we do for day journeys, for longer stays (proper holidays) we have an electric cool box for the groceries. On those occasions we know we are going to stop for a charge.

Reactions: loggamatt

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,129 Posts

·
3,129 Posts
I’m a little bit tempted by one of these - maybe next winter

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,928 Posts
I’m a little bit tempted by one of these - maybe next winter

That's a cracking box and looks to be extremely good value. (y)

Reactions: loggamatt

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! If we’re talking in the order of 1 mile every 7 hours then sounds like a no brainier to get it then to me. Even if the one I get is half as efficient as that, 1 mile out of every driving stint would be nothing in the great scheme of things.

I like the idea of a powered one instead of just using ice blocks as it’s more useful on longer trips where I’ll be staying overnight and might not have the opportunity to re-freeze the blocks.

Heated lunchbox looks great too! Not sure I’d get enough use out of that to be worth it for me, but I can certainly imagine a lot of EV drivers finding it useful!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
Yeah, this is what we do for day journeys, for longer stays (proper holidays) we have an electric cool box for the groceries. On those occasions we know we are going to stop for a charge.
😆 In our household we have the same discussion every year. Why are we taking groceries from home on holiday with us, do they need a break before we eat them? What's so wrong with doing a quick shop when we arrive then we'll have 50% more boot space on the journey to take the stuff we actually need? Which is usually replied along the lines of "I don't want to go shopping when we arrive!" or "just pack it better. What normally happens is 1. something foodwise is forgotten and I end up in a supermarket anyway and 2. the kids end up having half a boot worth of stuff around their feet because the boot is full of a weekly shop. 😆

I’ve considered a 12V box/bag before, but ended up with this (or it maybe a slightly different size) ... and it’s excellent. Stuff stays cold for ages, and when not in use it folds down nice and compact.

Very popular and highly regarded - which may be at least part of the reason why currently showing as out of stock.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fresh-compact-camping-walking-ice-box-36-litres-white-s8/_/R-p-175496
Nice. Always worth checking the middle of LIDL (or Aldi) deals, they usually have squishy cool boxes on and off offer from Spring through Summer. Can be cheaper on occasion.

Reactions: E Geeza and Neilew

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
Thanks all! If we’re talking in the order of 1 mile every 7 hours then sounds like a no brainier to get it then to me. Even if the one I get is half as efficient as that, 1 mile out of every driving stint would be nothing in the great scheme of things.

I like the idea of a powered one instead of just using ice blocks as it’s more useful on longer trips where I’ll be staying overnight and might not have the opportunity to re-freeze the blocks.

Heated lunchbox looks great too! Not sure I’d get enough use out of that to be worth it for me, but I can certainly imagine a lot of EV drivers finding it useful!
That 1 mile might be the difference getting to your destination. 😆 You know someone was going to say it. Plus if your staying overnight its the perfect opportunity to refreeze. ;) Its if your driving 7 hours to a place, to have some food, then 7 hours back that might be the issue, but you wouldn't be going on a trip like that to bring food back.

·
3,129 Posts
(y) If staying overnight in hotels then may be worth looking into ones where you can also power then from 3pin mains — or getting a 3pin to cig socket adapter. I think the key is to make sure it’s as cold as possible before you plug it in inside the car, as - as I understand it - most of them basically reduce the ambient temperature by a set amount, rather than always operating a 5°C or whatever.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That 1 mile might be the difference getting to your destination. 😆 You know someone was going to say it. Plus if your staying overnight its the perfect opportunity to refreeze. ;) Its if your driving 7 hours to a place, to have some food, then 7 hours back that might be the issue, but you wouldn't be going on a trip like that to bring food back.
Haha... well, would just be nice not to have to faff around with remembering to re-freeze ice blocks in someone’s freezer. The chances of me doing more than 3 or 4 trips like that without me forgetting to repack the ice blocks the next morning is close to zero :ROFLMAO:

Plus, I can see there being value in having it for the 7 hours there, then 7 hours back in the same day use case too. You may know that your charging locations on the way back are unlikely to have places to buy food, so may want to buy something from a shop as you pass it earlier in the journey so you have it to eat on one of the later charge stops.

And if I’m going to be getting down to -1 miles on the GOM, I will have turned the climate control in the car off long before that point which should have a bigger impact on energy use! Haha

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(y) If staying overnight in hotels then may be worth looking into ones where you can also power then from 3pin mains — or getting a 3pin to cig socket adapter. I think the key is to make sure it’s as cold as possible before you plug it in inside the car, as - as I understand it - most of them basically reduce the ambient temperature by a set amount, rather than always operating a 5°C or whatever.
Oh yes, good shout! I’ll keep researching what’s available...

·
3,129 Posts
One thing I would say is we really like the fact that our cooler is soft sided — means it’s much easier to pack into the car as it can be squidged and squished as needed to fit into footwells or alongside other items. Also means it’s easier to fit the food and drink inside it as it has a lot of give to accommodate different shapes — so you don’t have to do quite so much Tetris.

So definitely in my view worth seeking out a suitable soft sided bag with a 12V chiller unit, rather than a fully rigid box.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
most of them basically reduce the ambient temperature by a set amount, rather than always operating a 5°C or whatever.
They do, it’s worth researching what the various boxes claim to do, and then reading a few group tests, not all of them are equal.

I’ve got two cool boxes, a squishy one that does a reasonable job of keeping things cold for a day trip, and a hard box version that’s better insulated and is more like a fridge in operation and cools to fridge like temps in even hot weather.

Good ones cool to around 15 to 17c below ambient temperature, but be aware that means that some stuff might end up frozen if the ambient temp is only just into double figures, very few seem to have a thermostat.

I’ve got an Outwell something or other, runs off 12v and mains, and does heat as well as cold. Runs off a 12v leisure battery topped off by portable solar for longer camping trips quite happily. Doesn’t squish down though.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
I actually have one of the hard boxes that cools. They serve a purpose, like keeping beer cool sometimes.😁 They are typically just a fan blowing against a big aluminium heat sink. They advertise they drop temps by 5-10 degrees ambient. So in summer if its 30 degrees in your car they'll drop it down to 20 if your lucky. So you might still want a freezer block in there. In winter they can get as cold as your household freezer if its cold in the car (I've had one freeze shut before).

I mentioned middle of LIDL earlier, they also often do freezer blocks of various shapes/sizes at low prices. Worth just buying a stack of them. I've lost (left behind) loads over the years. Cheap to replace. (y)

Both solutions are good, but remember the big hard plastic box will take up a lot of boot space... all the time. A squashy bag one can be squashed down once you've scoffed the contents.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,928 Posts
In our household we have the same discussion every year. Why are we taking groceries from home on holiday with us, do they need a break before we eat them?
No matter how hard I try, I can't get SWMBO to run down the stocks in the larder and the fridge prior to going away. So not only do we have a cool box, but bags of groceries as well. Still it's just us 2 in the car so plenty of room for everything.
mentioned middle of LIDL earlier, they also often do freezer blocks of various shapes/sizes at low prices.
We ordered some burgers (chicken) from Heck (very tasty and low fat) and they came with frozen bags with some gung in them. They're extremely efficient and stay cold for absolutely ages. We've not arrived at a destination with them thawed out yet. I reckon 24 hours might be possible inside a cool bag.

Reactions: Sandy

·
3,129 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts