Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my 13 amp EVSE died today. As it's my only way to charge at home that's going to be a bit annoying, I hope the dealer has a replacement in stock but of course I can't call them until Monday morning.

In other news, nearby public chargers seem to be getting a fair bit of use:

This morning we drove down to Reading and used the Polar point in the Oracle car park: only one of the two sockets is working there and that was the case last time we went which was at least a month ago. When we returned to the car there was a white Leaf in the other space but of course they hadn't plugged in because I was using the only socket. Drove home with a bit of a detour for lunch so the last mile was on petrol. :(

Charged from the 13 amp socket for a bit over half an hour. That gave me just enough range to get to Abingdon Waitrose where I plugged in to the Polar post next to a blue Leaf that was at 96% on the rapid charger (I thought those guys usually only went to 80%). When I came out of the shop the Leaf had gone, but for some reason the Volt hadn't charged at all. o_O

Drove home, mostly on petrol. ::mad:

Plugged in to 13 amp socket: no lights on EVSE. Tried other socket in garage. Tried socket in house. Tried changing 13 amp fuse. Tried 13 amp fuse in a different appliance. Not the fuse, EVSE is dead. :eek:

Now worried that perhaps the car was at fault too (and had blown something in the EVSE) I went back to Waitrose (dino juice again!) and plugged in next to a silver Leaf (rapid charger had a battery symbol saying 82%). Left it for 20 minutes and it had gone up to 4 miles of range, so I guess I just hadn't plugged in properly the previous time. :oops:

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There may be an internal fuse in the EVSA block. Worth a look at any rate ;)
Internal fuse or broken wire. Unfortunately it's a sealed unit and I think they should replace it under warranty so I'm not about to try and cut it open.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
I had my second one fail in October, just after 12 months. This time I called My Ampera and they replaced it free of charge. The replacement is a new design and I think from a different manufacturer.

I cut my first one open and it's a failure on the power supply board. Well known issue over on GM-Volt.com. However the whole thing is conformal coated and nigh on impossible to repair yourself. I might gut it and replace with an open EVSE board.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm booked in at the garage for 8:30 this morning, it would have been 5 minutes to swap the cables but they want to apply the power inverter fix as they think that might be related to the cable dying. Also the daylight running light fix which it surprised me wasn't applied when they serviced the car back in May.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charging cable replaced and seems to work. The new one has is all black, no more orange cable.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Mokka e Launch Edition May 2021 (nee Ampera Electron May 2012)
423 Posts
Just got my third warranty replaced cable today, really miss the light in the connector, also had drivers door handle replaced so the keyless entry now works.

I have had a few issues with customer service at Arnold Clark and when the driver who collected it found the engine management light came on he duly reported it and I got a free charge port door replacement, which was interesting as I only got it replaced in May and I am fairly sure that it was probably due to the fuel cap not being tightened as I have been fuelling from cans waiting on the new charge cable.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got my third warranty replaced cable today, really miss the light in the connector, also had drivers door handle replaced so the keyless entry now works.

I have had a few issues with customer service at Arnold Clark and when the driver who collected it found the engine management light came on he duly reported it and I got a free charge port door replacement, which was interesting as I only got it replaced in May and I am fairly sure that it was probably due to the fuel cap not being tightened as I have been fuelling from cans waiting on the new charge cable.
Confused here. The cable I got yesterday has a light.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Lucky you then, my first was white with light, great toy and so practical. Second orange but no light so I presumed cheap version. This one is black but not unwrapped yet, however my first check was to see if it had torchy bit and couldn't see one through the plastic bag but tomorrow will tell.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Holding hands up - it does have a light. The more I find out the less I know. Maybe the last one did have a light but I never charged in the dark?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,632 Posts
Dont know if this is what others have done or not but I have dropped and broken 2 laptop brick chargers and broken them. So as soon as I saw my evse which is bound to get dropped on concrete at some point I wrapped it in bubblewrap and taped it. I can still see through it and see the lights on and hope it will save me from an expensive drop.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Busted! My evse charger went with a pop at 5pm when I plugged in. Swapped fuses etc, but the brick is as dead as Nelson.

Mine has lights, torch & orange cable. Any ideas folks? I hated burning oil on the way home tonight

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
:cry:
That is possibly going to be expensive but you should be able to claim its part of the 8 year HV warranty, at least I hope so.

Reactions: GregH

·
Registered
253 Posts
:cry:
That is possibly going to be expensive but you should be able to claim its part of the 8 year HV warranty, at least I hope so.
Thanks Spiny, here's hoping but I am a pessimist. Had a nosey at those DIY fixes on yetube, so I'll be keeping that in mind if GM thumb their noses at me.

Either way, I'm hoping for a speedy solution as these hiccups are frustrating.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Thought it was only covered under the three year....do the replacements have the switch to charge at lower ampage like the original?

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,307 Posts
Any granny cable with a type 1 plug will work fine as a replacement. I've used the OEM one, a Leaf one and an Outlander one just fine. You I'll be able to pick up a secondhand replacement online much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have a bought working one and a dead original, if I can get a six or ten amp replacement, I'll take it up with Vauxhall

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine broke too a few days ago. I found a 10 A charger from a Nissan Leaf. Working fine and also charging may take less...5 and a half hours at 10 A.

It's electricity time. Go electric ! Now !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts