Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got the home charging station installed this week by British Gas, unfortunately still another week or so until we have a car to plug it into :(

It occurred to me that as we have a 3kWh solar PV system, charging at 10 amps will mean a taking longer to charge, but a larger percentage of the electricity used will come from the panels; assuming the sun is shining of course!

Is there any reason why a 13 amp socket cannot be supplied from the terminal box supplying the charging unit. I know the supplied EVSE cable limits the current to 10amps anyway, but don't know if there's any reason why this isn't permissible.

Any advice greatly received.

Ian

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Sorry :(

Even so, if you have a spare way on the consumer unit it is definitely worth doing. We have done exactly that. When we had our Home Pod installed we paid the electrician to also put in a completely separate circuit from the CU to a double 13A socket beside the Home pod. We used 32A wiring and a 32A RCD. Now, we can charge one EV on the Home pod and a second on the 13A. OK, we can only charge at 10A for the second but overnight that doesn't matter at all.

We also use the extra 13A sockets whenever we need power in the front garden as it is an IP rated double 13A box.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you say it's something I would consider anyway, and is a fairly simple job as the CU is on the other side of the wall the socket would go on. It would also
make mowing the lawn easier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm the other way round - have car but no fancy EV wallbox. So I've just been plugging into a common or garden 3 pin socket in the garage. No problems at all. It does take a while to top up from near empty, though!

I did spend the first day or two watching to make sure nothing was getting warm. But then I remembered my old granny who, when she got too decrepit to chop logs, used to heat her house with 3 bar electric fire things. Those must have sucked a few amps through her ancient wiring.

Must get round to ordering a BG wallbox. Just hope that the wiring to the garage is meaty enough as, otherwise, it'll need lots of work (and expense) to connect a rather distant garage to the house. Existing cable looks quite thick and the garage has its own fuse box so I'm optimistic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts