Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a 13 reg Nissan leaf zeo u5
Bought this from auction and drove it home 15 miles, only had 4 miles showing so found the eBay cable in boot and plugged in to mains with 3 pin plug, power light on charge cable kit so I then plugged into car, one blue light the left one flashed 3 times along with 3beeps and a clunk, then went off, by pressing the handle on the charge cable then releasing it the car would repeat this. Charge cable shows charging and fault light does not light up I have also replaced the 12 v battery. I am reluctant to have the car towed to a dealer any ideas would be welcome

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi All, I have a 13 reg Nissan leaf zeo u5
Bought this from auction and drove it home 15 miles, only had 4 miles showing so found the eBay cable in boot and plugged in to mains with 3 pin plug, power light on charge cable kit so I then plugged into car, one blue light the left one flashed 3 times along with 3beeps and a clunk, then went off, by pressing the handle on the charge cable then releasing it the car would repeat this. Charge cable shows charging and fault light does not light up I have also replaced the 12 v battery. I am reluctant to have the car towed to a dealer any ideas would be welcome
I use the EVSE charger regularly when away from home. I always plug into the car first and then switch on the socket. Mine is a gem 2 car so it may behave differently.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,274 Posts
Three beeps? Is the charging timer enabled?

There's a timer override button to the right of the steering wheel. Press that and see if charging starts.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
903 Posts
Three beeps? Is the charging timer enabled?
It'll be the charging timer, I bet. This has caught me out more times than I like to admit.

Unplug, wait 10 secs, plug in again, go immediately to the driver's seat and press the far left hand of the four buttons by your right knee, marked with a plug and a clock symbol.

If you had a charging timer set up there'll be another clunk, and charging will start.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charging timer is off, 12v battery is new and every forum I search none has this problem with just the first light on the left flashing three times then nothing, thanks for the quick response though

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Nothing in your profile/autosig to show where you are.

Share that info and maybe someone living nearby would be able to lend you another EVSE cable for testing purposes or even allow you to get a short tow to their wallpoint. Or of course if there's a rapid charger not too far away, you could get towed to that and see if the Chamedo can get enough juice into the battery to allow it to work normally afterwards.

Reactions: LettuceLeaf

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Can you try plugging the EVSE in another (mains) socket? It could be lack of or a faulty ground connection, or as suggested above, a faulty EVSE.
If you've plugged the EVSE into an extension cable, try plugging the EVSE directly to a mains socket.
I doubt it's a flat 12 volt battery as the car has been run successfully. If it was flat it probably wouldn't power up the car.
I recall a dealer in Lancashire I visited to get a rapid charge was trying to charge a recently p/x'd vehicle which I think had the same problem. I've no idea what the outcome was though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys, I e tried different sockets
And also checked the microswitch in the charge cable, I thought about having it transported to meadowhall shopping centre they have a charger with cable but I've been told that the large charging socket on the left bypasses the leafs circuit program so I may still have same problem.
Located in Sheffield by the way

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Easiest thing would be to eliminate a problem with the EVSE. Either try yours on another Leaf and/or get someone to try their EVSE on your Leaf.
Suspect the reason the car was at the auction was due to the fault though so if double checking the timer settings in the car and eliminating an EVSE problem doesn't resolve it then either a trip to a Nissan dealer is called for or get someone local with LeafSpy to see if he can show any error codes through the OBD port.
If you have AA Relay with home start, give them a call!

You said, 'one blue light the left one flashed 3 times'
Can you clarify, was it the the near side one flashing or the offside one? What's the left side depends on whether you're standing at the front of the car or sitting in the car!

Best first thing... get someone local who is familiar with Leafs to come and have a look at it for you to double check the settings and eliminate a EVSE problem.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Thanks Guys, I e tried different sockets
And also checked the microswitch in the charge cable, I thought about having it transported to meadowhall shopping centre they have a charger with cable but I've been told that the large charging socket on the left bypasses the leafs circuit program so I may still have same problem.
Located in Sheffield by the way
I was suggesting that battery might have got so low that the EVSE lead wouldn't recognise it. Yes, a Chademo would charge the battery independently of the 'normal' socket & its onboard charger but that's an advantage : doing that might get enough in the battery for it to respond normally afterwards.

I'm not that far from Sheffield but not really in a position to help - I really wouldn't like to try towing another Leaf with mine and my EVSE cable wouldn't be compatible with a 13 reg socket.

If Meadowhall isn't too far from you, you could perhaps get someone with an ICE to tow you there to plug into the charger that Zap-Map suggest is in the orange car park and free to use. Or just across the road there's another rapid at IKEA. Or indeed local Nissan dealer is Bristol St on Attercliffe Rd. Zap-map seem to be suggesting that their Chademo is out of service but that may not be latest position.

Surely the battery of a 2013 car would still be within its 8 year warranty so Bristol Street ought to be able to help.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Surely the battery of a 2013 car would still be within its 8 year warranty so Bristol Street ought to be able to help.
That wouldn't be the case, it's 5 years on those for the main battery dropping down to 8 bars. So no warranty work possible it would seem.
@Charles Firth - Any guarantees or claims as to condition from the car's vendor? I know with auctions that isn't usually the case.
If no one can help locally the only solution would seem to be to get it trailered to a dealer for them to diagnose any fault(s) and give you a quote to get it fixed (presuming there is a fault, maybe there isn't!) One has to wonder if the previous owner tried that and found it proved to be uneconomic to repair hence auctioning the vehicle off, in which case I hope you didn't pay over the odds for it. However, the jury is still out and it might be nothing much wrong at all.

I still maintain the usual reason for that failure is a grounding issue with the mains supply (strangely quite common according to the chap who installed my Chargemaster.) Can you try plugging it in at someone else's place? If all OK doing that get your mains supply checked out.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Check when it was last services by Nissan. If it's within the last 12months then call for a free recovery to meadowhall for a a charge on the rapid or other local rapid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for your input, I suspect the last owner had a home charge unit and never used the three pin cable as it looks new, but the grounding issue is something I've read a few threads on, having tried multiple sockets I'm not sure it's the problem so I'm downloading leaf spy pro and checking for any fault codes today.
Will keep you all posted and thanks again

·
Registered
52 Posts
PS there’s a Leaf FB group; if you do FB or a family member does, might be worth asking if someone near you could let you try their EVSE lead.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,055 Posts
As a last resort to get a few miles worth of charge in the car is to tow it at 25mph using a beefy ICE - with the Leaf switched on, set into B drive, and with the hand/foot brake off. The car will then 'think' that it is actually going down a long steep hill and the strong regen system in B will put quite a bit of charge in the car. Probably enough to get you to a nearby Rapid charger which then gives you options to look into the granny charge cable issue.

The guy in this vid was only proving the concept. He should have set it in B drive to get stronger regen.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts