Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I charge my EV via 32A Commando and Ohme cable overnight. SWMBO is thinking of getting a PHEV that does not have inbuilt timer capability. I’d like to use overnight tariffs to charge both cars simultaneously. If I were to add a 13A socket on the EV charging circuit for the PHEV's granny cable; can anyone recommend a suitably specced timer that I could install with the 13A socket, or indeed a socket with built in timer?

I guess I'm concerned that domestic timers might not be up to sustained charging currents.

TIA, Mike

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I charge my EV via 32A Commando and Ohme cable overnight. SWMBO is thinking of getting a PHEV that does not have inbuilt timer capability. I’d like to use overnight tariffs to charge both cars simultaneously. If I were to add a 13A socket on the EV charging circuit for the PHEV's granny cable; can anyone recommend a suitably specced timer that I could install with the 13A socket, or indeed a socket with built in timer?

I guess I'm concerned that domestic timers might not be up to sustained charging currents.

TIA, Mike
What is your EV charging circuit good for, 42A?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RCCB is rated at 63A so I was feeling confident ... but your explicit question's made me look up the Matt:e "Single Phase Voltage Monitoring and Protection Unit" ... whose spec sheet gives "Suitable for 1 x 32amp load".

Hmmm foiled... if I take 13A supply before the Matt:e then I guess I'm back in to the world of driving big nails into my utilities.

Thanks for nudge to remember the Matt:e

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Don't know about a plug in timer that I'd trust, but I wonder if an immersion heater timer controlling the socket would do the job. It's been a while since I've had to buy an immersion heater timer, but I think the last one I had was rated to 16A 13A, and you'd hope that they're good for a sustained high current...

Standard disclaimer: this is probably a stupid idea, provided with no warranty, don't blame me if it burns down your house or electrocutes anybody.

EDIT: it was rated to 13A, here's the datasheet: https://04646a9cf351cc0d3888-b8b406...98dedab22e0063dfed0f760b53bd6c.pdf?1583761262

1 - 6 of 6 Posts