Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I've just got an Ampera and I think it's great. However I'm still undecided if I should get a home charge station or just an external 13A socket and run via the provided lead?

I'm not sure the decrease in times is worth the extra money, and the fact that I will have to get an un-tethered station and purchase an extra 10M lead as my car is parked about 6-7 meters from where the point could be installed.

Anyone got any opinions??

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Interesting one - firstly a warm welcome to the fun (and smugness!) of owning an Ampera! And welcome to the forums too.

I think a home charge station is about £115 now, but I'm guessing you would have to pay more because of the location.

The main benefit of using the proper charging point is you get 16A, i.e. full charge in around 4 hours. With the standard mains socket, you can charge at 6A (full charge in 10 hours) or 10A (full charge in 6A). Whether you use 6A or 10A will depend on how good your mains socket and electricals are. Can you use the existing lead, plugged directly into your ring main, and is it a fairly modern house (<30 years old)? If so, then you should be able to use 10A all the time. If it's an older house and the electrics haven't been re-done in the last 20-30 years, or if you need to use any kind of extension lead, then you will need to use 6A as using 10A for several hours is likely to cause overheating at the plugs or sockets which may cause a fire.

Also make sure you have a decent RCD and so on, ideally a dedicated spur from the mains junction box in the house, like you would with a shower.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi,

Welcome!

Installation under the new OLEV funding is still free for a 16A and quite possibly depending on manufacturer may be free for 32A aswell... Shhh!... will confirm in due course.

The cost of a 10M 32A Type 1 / Type 2 Cable is approximately £220.00 - awaiting final pricing and a delivery date.

Whilst an external 13amp socket may do the job, I think most people would advise a dedicated EV chargepoint.

Ultimately, if you are going to pay a sparky to install a dedicated circuit for an external socket (which is what should be done to charge off a 13 Amp socket) you may as well have an EV charge point.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI - driveway is next to the house, but the lead will have to be about 6 meters long as the standard 4.5 one won't reach. I've purchased a waterproof extension from B&Q that I've seen other people use here, and it charges it fine.. However would like the charge point for convenience I guess. British gas are charging 125 quid for the polar charger point, and they want 50 quid extra for no lead!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thanks for that.

I would recommend getting a dedicated charging station. You will get the full 16A charge rate and it will be easier and safer IMO.

Why are British Gas are charging you £125? You should be able to get a 16A one (which is all you need for the Ampera) for free although that would be with a standard length cable. A better option IMO is to get one with a type 2 socket and just buy a lead for the length you need. That way, if you change your car in the future to one that uses a different plug you just buy a new lead.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - that's what I was thinking. BG not very impressed with so I'm gonna avoid them going forward. I think getting the un-tethered type-2 socket and just getting the correct length lead will be ok, just wanted a couple of different opinions.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
366 Posts
British Gas now charge for the basic installs under the new scheme:
  • 16A data-enabled tethered wall-box (base) £115
  • 30A data-enabled tethered wall-box upgrade base + £99
  • 16A data-enabled non tethered wall-box base + £50
  • 30A data-enabled non tethered wall-box base + £125
As a plea to all EV owners / Speak EV members that genuinely want to see EV's grow.... support a local installer or a company that is giving back to the industry. Many smaller companies that install EV chargepoints, actively promote EV's to business and the general public.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Definitely a proper charging station. You'll find I'm sure that you'll be grateful for the more speedy recharge on enough occasions for it to be worthwhile. Those times at weekends where you go out, come back having done 30 miles by lunchtime, and want to go out and about in the afternoon. During lunchtime the car would be back to full charge again with the 16A charger. Also as @Paul_Churchley says, it will be a much safer solution given the currents involved than a 13A socket.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Yep...get a box while the scheme is on. One day the scheme will end so it adds value to your property as EVs increase in popularity. But the 'safety' factor alone makes it a no brainer. Before you get someone out though, you need to make sure you have a spare slot on your consumer unit.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't think it really adds value to the property. Same as a new kitchen doesn't, it just makes it slightly easier to sell.

The whole adding value malarkey was something pod point and the likes said in their eBay adverts when they were giving them away to people who had no intension of going electric at the tax payers expense.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't think it really adds value to the property. Same as a new kitchen doesn't, it just makes it slightly easier to sell.
The whole adding value malarkey was something pod point and the likes said in their eBay adverts when they were giving them away to people who had no intension of going electric at the tax payers expense.
Absolutely, the only 'value' (if any) it adds is £100. In the context of a £200,000 house it really is no value at all...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts