Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since my last forum post, but my ZOE is now 14 months old and for the last month-and-a-half has been giving constant electrical issues. I'm interested to hear if these sound familiar to others...

It all started with the amber check electrical system light, which initially came on seemingly at random when the car was switched on. Sometimes it would clear after a charge. Then it would come on during 50% of journeys, before coming on permanently...anyway, it was soon into Renault for repair.

Two weeks (16 days to be exact) later I got it back with a new AC/DC converter I believe. The "technician" referred to it as a "DC/DC converter"...but I always thought home supply was AC and you wouldn't convert something to itself! Replaced under warranty. I'm still awaiting the copy actual invoice in the post to confirm the works. (Incidentally the courtesy car was petrol so I've complained the Renault customer services about paying battery rental at £119/month, on a car I couldn't use for half the month, on top of petrol costs. They said they'd look at it, but the promised email/text message update from them hasn't appeared...)

Anyway, since getting the car back it's charging fine on a 7kW charger but on the public 42kW chargers it's still charging at the standard 7kW rate...it used to charge from empty to 99% in 45 mins or so, now in the same time it only takes about 20% charge! Useless.

I've called Renault and it's booked back in next week.

My two year PCP is up on Aug 1st and at it's looking like I'll be switching back to an efficient petrol. I love the way the ZOE drives but at 18,000 miles a year I'm not looking forward to another winter with a cold cabin and limited range.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I remember your posts and blogs well. Zoe is great fun but sadly it's badly let down by poor heating and electrical gremlins IMHO. Apparently @Sandy has a fix for the heating. Never worked for me but it's worth a go though. Have you had the PEC r240/BCB q210 changed yet?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,303 Posts
There is an AC/DC charger to charge the traction battery from the mains, and there is a DC/DC converter to charge your 12V system up from the traction battery.

Could be either.

The charge rate issue could just be co-incidence and if it was the DC/DC converter then it would be.

Sounds like you have a 22kW Zoe, in which case it also sounds like somehow it has reverted to single phase charging only. Would it be impossible they meant the AC/DC converter and didn't know better, and would it be possible they've just forgotten to reattach two phases?.... I wouldn't like to comment.. :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,478 Posts
It does sound like they have screwed up and not repaired the charging system change properly or there is a fault with the car remaining so that it won't charge at the proper rate.

If they have failed to do a repair correctly and if you've had other issues previously you may be able to reject the car at this point and get something else in time for winter. It is only 14 months old which is no age frankly.

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I feel for people in these situations but I don't think the Consumer Act allows you to reject a car after 14 months!
You have 5 years to reject if the car is not fit for purpose, not of a satisfactory standard or doesn't function as described. You must give ample oportunity to fix and provide evidence to support your case.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,872 Posts
The DC/DC charger keeps the 12v battery topped up. A lot of the electrical messages can be triggered by a low/dodgy 12v battery.

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
You have 5 years to reject if the car is not fit for purpose, not of a satisfactory standard or doesn't function as described. You must give ample oportunity to fix and provide evidence to support your case.
Not easy to actually achieve as no test cases of new law yet. There are examples where people have succeeded in extreme cases such as this one with 3 failed gearboxes. Obviously they still had to contribute to cost of new car, £4K in this case.

Rejecting a 18 month old car after 3 gearbox changes? - Page 1 - Speed, Plod & the Law - PistonHeads

·
26,303 Posts
To clarify the 'sale of goods' law, AFAIU;-
If there is a manufacturing defect with any product then you can return it for refund repair or replacement at any time whatsoever if the defect was present at manufacture, I don't think there is any automatic right to a refund under the sale of goods act though.

If this happens in the first 6 months it is automatically assumed a manufacturing defect, unless proven otherwise by the vendor.

After 6 months it is for the buyer to prove it was present at the time of manufacture, that is if the vendor refuses to accept that is the case.

If there is no satisfaction from the vendor, the buyer has 6 years from the date of purchase to take action. This is a limitation of statute simply to close the avenue of legal redress after a given time. Technically the vendor is still liable if the product was defective at time of purchase, because it is that contract which was not properly fulfilled, and in some cases where the requirement of the product is to perform after 6 years the limitation of statute might not apply if the contract terms specifically cover that situation.

So in this case, the OP would be responsible for proving the fault was a manufacturing defect if Renault deny it.

Most vendors, especially vehicle manufacturers, are very robust in refusing to accept things are manufacturing defects past the stated warranty period, which is odd really because the manufacturers warranty only actually covers manufacturing defects. For example, for Vauxhall to replace corroded wheel rims under 3 years old the vendor (but not Vauxhall after the warranty period) should also replace all wheel rims as it is tantamount to an admission of a manufacturing defect to replace them 'under warranty'. (I went to Black Horse Finance with this case, and they sent some twit who claimed such corrosion was normal on a car that age. Couldn't be bothered to argue the case in court for a few £100.)

In fact, to put a sharp description of a manufacturers warranty, ALL it does is to offer the chance to go to the manufacturer rather than the vendor for repairs. A manufacturer's warranty offers absolutely nothing that should not already be a natural part of buying any product from any vendor, excepting that the usual liability lies only with the vendor.

To this extent, when a dealer offers you a warranty on a 2nd hand car, it is to protect his interests not yours. In UK law he is always liable to fix the car whatever 'warranty' is in place, so a 6 month warranty is totally pointless, the vendor is already completely liable to an even greater extent than these limited warranty policies.

The above material has been gained from many mis-adventures of mine in the world of being a mis-treated consumer, and much of it comes out of the mouths of ombudsmen, court proceedings, etc.

New regulations have strengthened car buyers rights recently and there is an absolute right to return a car in 30 days now, for any minor defect.

FWIW; It is also always worth walking away from a dealer after looking at the product and negotiating terms by email/phone. This makes it an off-premises contract, so long as you've not discussed prices, terms and such, on-premises (these rules replace the old distance selling regs). Then leave a deposit >£100 by credit card which then makes the credit card company severally liable for all of the above as if they were the vendor.

Just to add to the 6 year statutory limitation; case law allows for the reduction of the claim according to the amount of use a thing has had, with respect to its expected lifetime. This might well mean a court would expect you to throw in a contribution and not just get 'new for old'.

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
To clarify the 'sale of goods' law
You are a bit out of date. That law was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act in 2015. These is no case law for the new act in regards to motor vehicles either.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I retuned mines after a little over 2 years ownership. Full refund of the value on the car I traded in, 28 %refund of all payments, 100 % of the deposit back, the remaining finance cleared and any reference of the car wiped from my credit history.

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
I retuned mines after a little over 2 years ownership. Full refund of the value on the car I traded in, 28 %refund of all payments, 100 % of the deposit back, the remaining finance cleared and any reference of the car wiped from my credit history.
Good result. What car was it?

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
Zoe q210. The car was deemed not of a satisfactory standard due to constant reoccurring electrical faults. Renault were given ample opportunity to fix to no avail.
Oh gosh yet another Zoe. I am genuinely starting to get concerned as I was possibly buying a Zoe 40 next spring.

Clearly there are less Zoe in UK than Leaf but far, far more people on here with serious issues.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Honestly the zoe is a great and fun car but don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't have its issues. If you are in a position to be extremely tolerant of problems with the car/after car and dont rely too much on the car not to let you down you'll love it.

·
26,303 Posts
You are a bit out of date. That law was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act in 2015. These is no case law for the new act in regards to motor vehicles either.
Sure, OK, consider it amended, I was trying to get across the essential principle which remains that any contract purchase has to be in respect of a defect-free item, whether sold to a consumer or B2B (not covered by new law).

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
Sure, OK, consider it amended, I was trying to get across the essential principle which remains that any contract purchase has to be in respect of a defect-free item, whether sold to a consumer or B2B (not covered by new law).
It sounds like when owners push enough Renault are accepting rejection - we have seen a few examples now where people have succeeded, so it bodes well for others.

It is of course tragic that Zoe have these faults and dealers seem unable to fix them. Probably the latter is more concerning?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,872 Posts
And that they take soooo long in repairing them when they can. I reckon that half my neighbours wait of 10 weeks was because of the sheer number of Zoes in to be fixed. This, of course, may not have been the case and they were waiting for parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember your posts and blogs well. Zoe is great fun but sadly it's badly let down by poor heating and electrical gremlins IMHO. Apparently @Sandy has a fix for the heating. Never worked for me but it's worth a go though. Have you had the PEC r240/BCB q210 changed yet?
Haha, thanks. I took down my blogs as they dated, but I, going to write an in depth one on a year of EV ownership.

The what changed?? Renault says they updated the software, then checked the heating was working once they'd fixed the charging issue. Clearly they didn't check the heating too well!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably was the DC/DC converter then. On top of it no longer charging properly the heater now blows no warm air, just as it's getting colder, and it sounds like something is rattling around under the bonnet...

Great job Renault!

Real shame, because when it works the Zoe drives really well and is good fun. A lot of hassle for a year old car though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts