Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15 metre ordered for my leaf, should hopefully be able to charge with no problems

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you are looking at the one on the wall called Rolec you will have no hope in hell
Because Rolec wall charger don't work with the new Nissan leaf

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
What's the issue with leaf and ROLEC? I have an *old* 16A leaf, but am switching to a 32A i3 next year. Whilst i have a polar chargepoint at home - which works fine with both, I am looking at a charge point for my parents, and rolec fits the best aesthetically ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the new leaf and the charger keeps tripping out and two weeks ago Rolec said this is a problem with the new Nissan leaf. I have no problems charging with the Nissan charger but the Rolec keeps tripping out after 15 minutes

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is what Rolec came up with ?

They have had some issue with the pods because the car manufacturers have upgraded the intake charge to the maximum amount the unit would handle in short bursts.
i.e. A 16 amp car unit used to start with a 16 amp short burst of load at the start of a charge, then ramps down to between 10 and 13 amps for the remainder of the charge, thus giving the unit time to cool and carry on with the charge and have no thermal effects.
New car units start with a 16 amp load and continue with this load over the charge period (4 hours) in this time the charger unit has no time to cool and the thermal effect is to high for the RCD or Breaker and is causing them to have thermal overloading and thus causing the charger to trip under fault

And that was two week ago

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Where did this info come from ?
It doesn't make any sense, where are you, perhaps try the car on a ZCW unit nearby.
As soon as my contactor fires the unit pulls the full load for hours until ramping down on a 100% charge

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is what, the fitter said, the Technical Manager at Roles came up with.?
I have had the car for 6 weeks and done just over 2800 miles and did a 370 miles round trip with no problems charging on the road and no problems using the Nissan charger but the Rolec keeps tripping out

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Where did this info come from ?
It doesn't make any sense, where are you, perhaps try the car on a ZCW unit nearby.
As soon as my contactor fires the unit pulls the full load for hours until ramping down on a 100% charge
Mine does about the same thing. It ramps down a few tenths of an amp and then jumps back up. It does that until ~98% SOC and then starts ramping down.

We've got the 6.6kW option and I've charged at 6.6kW multiple times from two different Rolec chargers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I going to pull the plug on Rolec because I have e mail the government transport about my problem
Lets see if I gets feedback from them

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is what Rolec came up with ?

They have had some issue with the pods because the car manufacturers have upgraded the intake charge to the maximum amount the unit would handle in short bursts.
i.e. A 16 amp car unit used to start with a 16 amp short burst of load at the start of a charge, then ramps down to between 10 and 13 amps for the remainder of the charge, thus giving the unit time to cool and carry on with the charge and have no thermal effects.
New car units start with a 16 amp load and continue with this load over the charge period (4 hours) in this time the charger unit has no time to cool and the thermal effect is to high for the RCD or Breaker and is causing them to have thermal overloading and thus causing the charger to trip under fault

And that was two week ago
So is this a 16 Amp charger or not? If the charger only works when the vehicle draws 10-13 Amps it doesn't sound like a 16 Amp capable unit. And if the MCB or RCD are being overloaded, are they actually tripping? They can't reset themselves.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Who installed your charge point?

Are you talking directly to Rolec or your installer? Rolec does not normally install home wall pods.

Have you asked the dealer to check the charger on your car?

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Perhaps this only affects a model year 2015 LEAF in combination with the Rolec wall pod.
I've got an ammeter in my charger and Leafspy. My January 2014 built car stays at full power until about 98% SOC.

My guess is there is a problem with the wall pod, the installation, or the car.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have charged an Accenta 6.6kw many times from either of my 2 role chargers. No issues charging to 100%. Both with 2 different EVSEs; in fact add my portable EVSE with the Mainline EVSE and that's 3 different EVSE modules charged to 100%.

I suspect Installer knowledge issue deficit.

Use The Phoenix Works for hassle free charger installation. @Thomas_Newby

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have just had a nice email from the Office for Low Emission Vehicles.about my problem with Rolec
Should see something now

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
I have just had a nice email from the Office for Low Emission Vehicles.about my problem with Rolec
Should see something now
That's good to hear, hope they can get this resolved for you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Something is starting to get hot at Rolec

Dear Mr Palmer,
Before I am willing to pass your contact details to an alternative OLEV approved installer, I need confirmation from you that you are accepting that the works to be carried out will need to be paid for. There is nothing wrong with the unit you have had installed it is just not the correct unit for your vehicle. I am not willing to pass your details to an alternative installer if you are just going to constantly suggest the unit is faulty, they will not be willing to carry-out the works for free.
There are several options available to you:
· Confirm your acceptance of the above and I will pass your details to an alternative installer who can give you a price to amend your unit.
· You purchase a 20amp RCBO from us at £19.00 (including delivery and VAT) for your own choice of installer to fit.
· You purchase a 32amp upgrade kit from us at £34.27 (including delivery and VAT) for your own choice of installer to fit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts