Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio Oxford was discussing electric cars this morning and included a brief interview with me. If anyone wants to listen to it, it was about 9:40 on the Phile Gayle show. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_oxford

I don't think Phil Gayle could really cope with the idea of spending over £30k for a car.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is good Duncan.

We got the first Nissan Leaf in the South-West a year ago and so I did several interviews with BBC local radio and from that experience I would offer a word of caution.

Yes, of course, we all want to spread the word of EVs. We have seen the sense of them and want to help others see it too. However, there is a lot of people out there who just want to rubbish any idea of progress. It doesn't help that these cars are so expensive right now as it gives everyone who wants to take a pop at us and the cars easy ammunition. I have found that radio presenters see no benefit to them to be on our side. They get ratings from controversy and entertainment value from ridicule. Every time I have done a radio interview I find they want to criticise unreasonably and poke fun for the sake of entertainment. I can't blame them I suppose... that is their job. But the only thing I would say when people do interviews about their electric car is this: do it with your eyes open to what they are about. They are generally not doing the interview with the intention of making you or the car look good.

Of course, I am not suggesting you don't do them. It is an individual's choice and I would never criticise anyone for having a go and if you are successful at it then fantastic and you have my full support! However, if your experience is anything like mine was then don't be too surprised if the result is less than satisfactory.

Personally, I have chosen not to do radio interviews anymore.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the program this morning was generally positive. Allegedly as from today Oxford has the highest density of charging points per head of population of anywhere (1 per 2,000). They're being set up by Chargemaster as part of the Polar network, but they said £10/year fee which isn't nearly as bad as the normal Polar fees. The other news today is the launch of a scheme from Hertz will make Leafs available for hire in Oxford. It's all being presented as good news for Oxford so not greatly controversial.

I think the interview went down fine: they had someone on who said he was thinking about getting an electric car and then brought me straight in to tell him why I decided to buy one. The interviewer blanched slightly when I said I was spending £31k, but didn't ask me to justify the cost: my answer if he had asked would be that I don't think you can ever justify any new car on cost, if that's the deciding factor then buying second-hand will always win. I'm buying a Volt because I want one.

Some of the sms's that were sent in were saying things like how we'll all get power cuts from the drain on the grid, but that didn't come up in the discussion.

FWIW, I'll try to post a proper link when they've got the program up on 'listen again', but it doesn't seem to be there quite yet.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is great new Duncan. I am glad it went well.

I might venture into doing further interviews as EVs become more accepted and I am less of a target!

I am looking forward to hearing you on "listen again" ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts