Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great new charging hub at Wallyford, just off the A1. 16 22kw posts a 150 kW and a 100kW charger with long bays to cope with trailers and 5 m cables to deal with varying charge port locations. This is the future

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
that one seems light on rapids
I Think its important to note this is a park and ride next to a train station with not a lot else around. It's expected that most visitors would be there for several hours.

There used to be only one 50kW Rapid charger here, with 2 x 22kW AC Posts, and there were a few times that I encountered a car abandoned connected to the rapid charger and sitting there for the majority of the day.

Especially given the higher speed of these chargers, I would say that 2 rapids is probably enough for this location.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I Think its important to note this is a park and ride next to a train station with not a lot else around. It's expected that most visitors would be there for several hours.

There used to be only one 50kW Rapid charger here, with 2 x 22kW AC Posts, and there were a few times that I encountered a car abandoned connected to the rapid charger and sitting there for the majority of the day.

Especially given the higher speed of these chargers, I would say that 2 rapids is probably enough for this location.
Stop jyour negativity!!!!. This is a great installation well done. I think the terms of usage will sort out any abuses.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
Stop jyour negativity!!!!. This is a great installation well done. I think the terms of usage will sort out any abuses.
I'm not being negative? I was replying to the person who said they were light on rapids by explaining that just the two are likely enough and the 16 x 22kW posts also there are far more necessary given the purpose of the car park they are in...

I'm very happy to see this installation complete and will be making use of it quite regularly. I personally can't wait to see even more around the UK in the coming years.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Cool, I used to splash and dash at Wallyford regularly often leaving the car there to continue my journey on bike to Edinburgh City center. Not plugged in I hasten to add, lol. I knew work was ongoing like other P&Rs but good to see it's complete. Must swing by for a nose at some point. In fact, I'll be in Tranent this evening...

·
Registered
955 Posts
That's good though init? Being close to the A1 benefits longer distance drivers and commuters using train/buses :)

Reactions: 80698

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The rest of the P&R's around edinburgh are awful so hopefully this is signs of change. Many have one rapid and nothing else.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The rest of the P&R's around edinburgh are awful so hopefully this is signs of change. Many have one rapid and nothing else.
Sheriffhall Roundabout P&R is currently being upgraded. Would be nice if Hermiston and Straiton P&Rs also got a much-needed upgrade.

Reactions: Domhnall

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good news on Sheriffhall, it is often in use and a lot of taxis use it. Totally agree, Hermiston Gait and Straiton P&Rs would be ideal for a similar upgrade to Wallyford standards as well as others round Scotland.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I'm not being negative? I was replying to the person who said they were light on rapids by explaining that just the two are likely enough and the 16 x 22kW posts also there are far more necessary given the purpose of the car park they are in...

I'm very happy to see this installation complete and will be making use of it quite regularly. I personally can't wait to see even more around the UK in the coming years.
Great, we agree this is a super installation. Good mix of 22kW and 7 kW chargers for those parking and can charge via 3 phase or single phase respectively.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Really pleased that I bought a ZE50 now. It's turning out to be the perfect choice for central belt Scotland with the 22kw charging. In a month of ownership haven't paid a penny towards lecky. My new favourite Sunday routine is taking an hour to charge up somewhere on AC in Edinburgh whilst reading the Sunday papers. Why don't more cars offer 22 kw charging?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Great new charging hub at Wallyford, just off the A1. 16 22kw posts a 150 kW and a 100kW charger with long bays to cope with trailers and 5 m cables to deal with varying charge port locations. This is the future View attachment 134666

Any ideas why AC costs 16p/kWh and DC costs 30p/kWh? Is it better quality electricity? Will my car go further on it?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Really pleased that I bought a ZE50 now. It's turning out to be the perfect choice for central belt Scotland with the 22kw charging. In a month of ownership haven't paid a penny towards lecky. My new favourite Sunday routine is taking an hour to charge up somewhere on AC in Edinburgh whilst reading the Sunday papers. Why don't more cars offer 22 kw charging?
I hope it's a good paper you read, not full of anti-EV nonsense.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Some of us have better things to do with 2 1/2 hours than sit on a 22kW post reading a paper. Do you take a flask too? Wear a kagool and sandals and socks too? :ROFLMAO:

I do miss 22kW AC, but only because it means I could leave a car for a few hours and return to it fully charged and not feel guilty about leaving my car on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any ideas why AC costs 16p/kWh and DC costs 30p/kWh? Is it better quality electricity? Will my car go further on it?
I expect it is paying for the convenience. Charging at 100kW plus is going to save you a lot of time but it uses a much more expensive charger. So if you want that express service you pay more. If money is your concern then sit there for a few hours and read a book :)

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I expect it is paying for the convenience. Charging at 100kW plus is going to save you a lot of time but it uses a much more expensive charger. So if you want that express service you pay more. If money is your concern then sit there for a few hours and read a book :)
Not only that, making the slower charging AC posts half the price of the rapid charger to use is a clear incentive for those who would plug 3kW PHEV's etc into the rapid charger to use the cheaper posts instead instead of hogging the rapid charger. (Assuming the prices are clearly signposted of course)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Great, we agree this is a super installation. Good mix of 22kW and 7 kW chargers for those parking and can charge via 3 phase or single phase respectively.
Now all we need is something on the Edinburgh end of the M8 that isn't an airport or a park and ride with multiple rapid chargers and amenities... because why wouldn't you want the busiest motorway in Scotland which links the biggest and capital cities together to have good charging infrastructure ? ;)

The number of times I stopped at Hermiston in my Ion praying that the rapid would be working and wouldn't have an abandoned Tesla Model X charging on it for 6 hours was enough to put me off to driving to Edinburgh in that car after a while. (Yes, I encountered a Model X not once but twice which had been charging for over 6 hours on the AC outlet of the rapid charger with empty AC posts in adjacent spaces...why does the rapid charger even let the session continue that long ?)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just had to try one of the new HPC rapids at Wallyford in my C-Zero :ROFLMAO: Gosh, never seen so many chargers in my life!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I used the Ayrshire Altheletics centre rapid chargers yesterday for the first time since they built the new canopies and chargers.

Last time I was there it was one lone antiquated E-Volt unit out in the weather. Now there are four new tripple head rapid chargers and two dual output AC chargers. Much nicer. :) I notice they removed the original charger even though the signage is still there for it saying the spaces are charging only!

The only other car there charging was a Model 3 which was there before and after us, presumably the owners weren't too far away as there was a baby seat in the back.

If only all sites were like this...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts