Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stopped in the petrol station part of the westbound services to sort out the sat nav and noticed 4 (I think) Polar 150kW chargers being installed. I didn't look too closely as I was in a hurry but they looked pretty near to being finished. Has anyone else noticed them and are there a matching set on the eastbound services?
Seems to me the Ecotricity are losing the monopoly on motorway services as Ionity and now Polar (part of BP and Chargemaster) go for installations in the fuel stations. With 150kW plus chargers you aren't going to be hanging around for long so a quick coffee and loo stop at the petrol station seems a lot better (and cheaper) than the services and slow EH chargers.
Can't see a list of proposed sites on Polar's website, just a statement that they will have 400 150kW chargers by end of 2021.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Fantastic news. It will be great if EH's stranglehold on the MSA sites can be circumnavigated by Shell and BP putting the chargers in the petrol stations. We need 150kw chargers at all services to avoid queues and 4 at a time is better than 2 x 50kw chademo's and partial CCS which is all EH can offer.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
Odd as for the 150kW units I believe they need planning approval. As it is my local council, I keep an eye on West Berks for planning applications that mention Electric Vehicle charging and hadn't see one. It is late now so will double check tomorrow.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Could this finally persuade the owners of the services to kick ecotricity to the kerb? More and more people charging at the fuel station and not visiting the actual services at all is surely the last thing they want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reading services bank of four BP ultra chargers pictures on PlugShare looks like they are ready to go. Hope they do more of this at all services.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Doesn't this give the lie to the story about there not being an adequate mains supply?
Look on the bright side, there could have been 12 unreliable EH DBT's there if the EH budget was sufficient to make full use of the power supply.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,732 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Excellent. Just what's needed at every MSA. I might even think about going back to an EV. Four chargers and 150 kW. So throughput is 6 times the two 50 kW EH units. I take it this is the Burghfield services.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I take it this is the Burghfield services.
Yes, Burghfield services.

Approximately double the throughput on CHAdeMO given that there are 2x CHAdeMO on EH and most CHAdeMO vehicles only go up to ~50kW. But throughput is up to 12x higher on CCS than the current EH offering, which is where the industry is going.

I agree that this is the kind of setup that should be at every MSA.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Doesn't this give the lie to the story about there not being an adequate mains supply?
Depends what you mean. The Burton Instavolt units were installed way before they were connected up. Instavolt said the DNO connection was the limiting factor. They also hinted that the two x 6 charger hubs at Chorley on the M6 were held up by DNO connection (but would not explicitly say this). Basically if you pay enough and wait long enough the power supply is no problem :(.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,732 Posts
No, often the cost of getting an addational 50kw is nearly as much as getting an additional 1000kw.
Probably because EH don't contribute anything to the services to get upgrades, just to lay a fat cable from the shops. The garage will probably have its own network connection, for the car wash, shop, pumps etc. BP etc don't mind spending money on infrastructure because they know it'll make them reliable.

I can see EH dying out at MSAs as the garages install posts away from the shop services.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It might help that there's a substation just a mile away from the MSA, so it likely already had 11kV provision. You can see the green transformer housing which will hold the 11kV to 480VAC kit, which then supply the larger ABB units behind the charging posts which do the AC to DC conversion. Interesting that they are not using a paired setup like Ionity or Tesla, and appear to have a dedicated AC-DC unit for each charger.

The 50kW Ecotricity units, in all likelihood, run off existing spare capacity that the MSAs will have. Many MSAs will have planned for air conditioning and not all have it fitted. If they don't have this fitted this will give them the capacity to put 1-2 x 50kW posts in. Plus there are some diversity assumptions. A 64A 3ph 230V circuit is all that is required for a 50kW charger (the EH units top out around ~44kW which seems to be in line with this assumption); fairly easy to see this spare capacity being found if the engineers who designed the MSAs in the 80s had any sense. 600kW on the other hand... that will be a little trickier to get hold of.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,449 Posts
Found this on a website about motorway services:

As times change, BP insist that their name stands for 'Beyond Petroleum'. They developed a network of charging points called BP Chargemaster, which they intend to introduce to the motorway network to rival Ecotricity.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,449 Posts
List of motorway services where BP have a fossil fuel forecourt. All potential locations where they could install 150kW charging points.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts