Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have driven past these today (in a petrol hire car), and there were no cones out front but also no signs of them being in use. Very impressive to see such capacity outside the Tesla network.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,448 Posts
So is this Burghfield eastbound or westbound - or both? Zap-Map only lists the Ecotricity pumps, not these Polar ones.
According to Plugshare there are 4 units each side. Not yet working for some reason.

573E2F10-D80A-4E3F-A423-6C74168D92AD.png

48B86069-D83F-4290-B762-759131DE87C9.png

·
Registered
117 Posts
Happened to stop by these yesterday partially out of curiosity if they were activated.

Certainly not commissioned, the connectors are all wrapped up in cellophane still and sat on top of charge units. The Didcot Polar looks further along than these - however still not on map so guess that’s not yet commissioned either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I notice BP have installed some at London Road, Woodley petrol station also, though not working as yet.
Nice, I happened to rapid charge nearby there at the BP station on Henley Road w/GeniePoint as a key worker free vend.

I'm morbidly curious to get onto a 150kW at some point to see if the Leaf e+ can pull more than 50kW...

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
I'm morbidly curious to get onto a 150kW at some point to see if the Leaf e+ can pull more than 50kW...
There are no CHAdeMO rapids in UK that will give more that 50kw and it is very unlikely there ever will be. CCS has won the DC charging market in Europe and we probably won't see any new model cars using CHAdeMO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are no CHAdeMO rapids in UK that will give more that 50kw
There are some CHAdeMO units that are rated above 50kW, but I don't know if they will deliver more than 50kW. Don't know if the limiting factor is the unit, the connector, or the vehicles. I had a go at an Instavolt one a few months ago out of curiosity and didn't get any faster charge than the top speed of ~43kW I get at good Polar units.

For example the Instavolt on the A303 near Honiton.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
There are some CHAdeMO units that are rated above 50kW, but I don't know if they will deliver more than 50kW. Don't know if the limiting factor is the unit, the connector, or the vehicles. I had a go at an Instavolt one a few months ago out of curiosity and didn't get any faster charge than the top speed of ~43kW I get at good Polar units.

For example the Instavolt on the A303 near Honiton.
You are right that Zapmap does say that the Honiton Instavolt is 100kW CHAdeMO but no confirmation it actually does. No European Leaf takes more than 50kW though, so that doesn't help to check. IIRC the 33kWh Soul can take more - the New Soul is CCS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are right that Zapmap does say that the Honiton Instavolt is 100kW CHAdeMO but no confirmation it actually does. No European Leaf takes more than 50kW though, so that doesn't help to check. IIRC the 33kWh Soul can take more - the New Soul is CCS.
The last check in on PlugShare at that Instavolt site reported a rate of 80kW on their MG ZS EV, which I believe is the maximum obtainable on the MG.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
The last check in on PlugShare at that Instavolt site reported a rate of 80kW on their MG ZS EV, which I believe is the maximum obtainable on the MG.
Sure, but that is CCS. Our sub thread was discussing if they actually supported more than 50kW on CHAdeMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So it was. These CPE250 devices only support 125A Chademo in Europe, which means 50kW at 400V.
To expand: In paired mode, max output power 125kW shared between both units. Per unit: CCS max 200A so max 80kW. Chademo max 125A so max 50kW.

In standalone mode: Max output 156A so max 62.5kW for CCS and Chademo.

All assuming 400V.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts