Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf e+
239 Posts
I didn’t snap any pics when I was there, but I get the feeling BP are either holding them because of COVID, or some big marketing reveal...

The Didcot 150kW Polar has been installed for some time too and looks like its waiting for activation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
No European Leaf takes more than 50kW though, so that doesn't help to check.
The 2019 e+'s were sold on the basis that they did with the lower charging rate quoted for the 2020s.
Do these new rapids deliver both CCS and Chademo?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,527 Posts
The 2019 e+'s were sold on the basis that they did with the lower charging rate quoted for the 2020s.
Do these new rapids deliver both CCS and Chademo?
Yes, but while they deliver CCS at up to 150kW, Chademo is only 50kW.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There’s reports, maybe even on here, of Leafs (Leaves?) getting around 75kW on HPCs in the UK.

Also, don’t get too exited about bagged hardware being in place, it seems the DNOs can be as lethargic as a sloth, case in point, Necton which has taken over a year, was due to be connected on 21 March, then an emergency appointment came up and the power network engineers were relocated elsewhere, lockdown commenced and even though its eased, it seems to be the lowest of low priorities, as it seems most rapid chargers are.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Yes, but while they deliver CCS at up to 150kW, Chademo is only 50kW.
#?
How would that be? Makes no sense if by design.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,527 Posts
#?
How would that be? Makes no sense if by design.
Isn’t the Leaf e+ the only EV that can charge at more than 50kW on Chademo? Maximum 100kW, but averages 70kW. Most manufacturers ditching Chademo in favour of CCS.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Isn’t the Leaf e+ the only EV that can charge at more than 50kW on Chademo? Maximum 100kW, but averages 70kW. Most manufacturers ditching Chademo in favour of CCS.
The original e+ is supposed to be one of them. Apparently 2020 e+'s are limited to 50 though. I don't know of any other.

The 40kWh Leaf can regen at 70kW apparently.so i suppose Nissan just upgraded the Chademo components to allow the higher rate from a charger too. Maybe it was just a matter of lifting a software restriction which has since been reinstated on the current version for a reason only known to Nissan.

I'm surprised a dual CCS/Chademo rapid feature wasn't included on the e+ as some suggested the 40 might have had from some of the interpretations derived from the early camoflagued sightings. It would have been a great future proof feature.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
Leaf e+
239 Posts
There are no CHAdeMO rapids in UK that will give more that 50kw and it is very unlikely there ever will be. CCS has won the DC charging market in Europe and we probably won't see any new model cars using CHAdeMO.
So I stopped and charged at the new 150kW Polar / BP Chargemaster station at BP Milton Connect Didcot today. Great news is that my '69 Leaf e+ charged at 71kW peak, and the station physically says 100kW on it!

Glad to finally debunk the myth that Leaf's cannot charge at >50kW. Battery got pretty toasty though, finished at 44.9c. To note, I had rapid charged earlier in the journey @44.60kWh average for 30 mins. So this was the second rapid after a 77 mile drive.

I got 35.47kW in 31 minutes - so an average of 68.65kWh.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Glad to finally debunk the myth that Leaf's cannot charge at >50kW.
Good to hear. I am surprised with no active cooling and not surprised it got rather warm!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 in void and standard suspension
113 Posts
Called into Reading services East and Westbound today (meeting in Marlow).

The new chargers and all the associated power boxes are now covered in green covers with 'coming soon' all over them on both sides of the M4. Also saw an i-pace struggling to charge on the ecotricity eastbound. I suspect that these points will be quite popular when they eventually open.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
121 Posts
These still aren’t open yet according to zap map.
they looked ’finished’ ages ago so no idea what the problem is.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
239 Posts
These still aren’t open yet according to zap map.
they looked ’finished’ ages ago so no idea what the problem is.
Wow yet the Didcot points were commissioned quite a while back...

It makes me think it’s a political hold up rather than a technical one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are these BP charging points live, yet? Zapmap still only showing ECO charging points. :(
Went there a few months ago and still not live - Had wondered why the branding is all wrong - Polar, now BP ChargeMaster, now BP Pulse.
Ecotricity maybe old and slow but at least they work occasionally.

·
Registered
485 Posts
As mentioned previously on a different post, these have been "Coming Soon" now for over 2 YEARS!!
These fast chargers are actually on a BP forecourt so I cannot believe they are having problems with the electricity supply.

I checked 3 weeks ago and still not working and asked the petrol station manager also. No idea when they will be connected up. Same as it was when I first saw them in May 2019!

I honestly feel BP do not really want to us to change over to EV motoring any time soon. They (BP Pulse- probably one of the stupidest re-branding names I have ever come across- just try googling that and you get lots of medical equipment or medical search returns!) are all about MARKETING, glossy press releases and glossy charge posts that are often faulty. Bloody shambles.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I suspect we will have to wait for the supply to the Ecotricity chargers to be upgraded, before the BP ones spring to life.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts