Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might seem an odd request but I'm wondering if anyone has an old 16A charging cable they dont want and are willing to give it away for free or for the price of postage plus a little bit?

When I'm charging my Niro 4 from home, I'd like the option to charge at a lower rate for times when I'm not in a rush to get it charged. This is so that I can charge purely from my solar panels and/or Powerwall 2 and not draw electricity from the grid. At the moment as soon as I'm drawing more than 3.9kw, the grid kicks in. Usually most of that 3.9kw is the car.

Also I'm assuming it's okay to stick a 16A cable into a 32A 7.4kw Rolex wall charger. I'm sure I read here that the car will detect it's a 16A cable.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
I don't know about the Niro4 but my KonaEV has settings to be able to limit the rate of charge, high, med & low.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If you're feeling adventurous, you could make something like this:
Variable-current 32A cable
The plug on mine has a resistor inside a wire which indicates the allowable current for the cable. 6A is an unofficial value that some cars/controllers respect, but it's not in the J1772 spec. 13, 20, and 32A are, so you cold have 3 resistors in your handle & choose which to use. I replaced my single resistor with a network of resistors, each has a tiny magnetically-operated reed-switch in series. On the outside is a small high-energy magnet in a rotating-clicky-holder 3D printed, so this maintains the waterproof safeety of the plug itself.
I haven't pubished any plans for this item, and details will depend on space inside the handle, whether you can get inside it, etc. I intended to use it for the exct same solar-panel use as you, hoping the (unofficial) 6A setting would work on my Rolec & Ampera. It didn't, so the lowest I cold go was 13A, and the max my car takes anyway is 14A, so not a success tbh! But it would have been great if car had been a 32A sucker!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If your Rolec is a non-smart one, another option is to replace the ECU with a Viridian Mainpine unit; this has a resistor connected across 2 of the terminals, which sets the current in extremely fine increments, anywhere from 6A up to 32A. So you would keep your 32A cable as-is, and fit something like a rotary switch with a shed-load of resistors wired to each terminal, and simply tweak it on the fly. Or hook in a digital potentiometer, an Arduino with a current-clamp round your mains supply cable, and control it dynamically to minimise grid import.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good grief. You guys are hackers in the nicest use of the word. I dabble but anything likely to either set my house on fire or my wife's £38k car is a no go area for me especially with my experience of insurance companies. Though if I did blow up her car, divorce would be inevitable so silver lining and all that :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Might seem an odd request but I'm wondering if anyone has an old 16A charging cable they dont want and are willing to give it away for free or for the price of postage plus a little bit?
Type 1 or Type 2? Matters not, cable will be free, postage £150. :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol..nice
Happy to pick it up in person.
Called your bluff

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Collection admin charge is £140. No such thing as a free lunch. Bid for one on ebay you cheapskate.
Put it on eBay then. Send me the link and I'll put a bid in. I'm not a cheapskate. No one here is, otherwise they wouldn't have paid a premium for an EV. Look forward to seeing the link.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
349 Posts
... Niro 4 ... solar panels ...Powerwall 2
If you can't afford the charging lead I suggest you have a flag day on your local high Street. I'm sure passers by would be sympathetic and donate!

Reactions: DonB

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can't afford the charging lead I suggest you have a flag day on your local high Street. I'm sure passers by would be sympathetic and donate!
Things have gotten a little dark suddenly.
There's a difference between being able to afford things and wanting to spend the least amount of money for an experiment.
I earn a good wage. Own my house outright. Paid for my Niro outright. Have a shed load of savings. Retire next year with a very comfortable pension. Have lots of disposable income. That doesn't mean I'm willing to dispose of it willy nilly. It's not a question of affordability. If you can't help then frankly go fornicate with yourself. If you can help then please do so even if it means you stick your unwanted cable on eBay. If you can't afford to get rid of your UNWANTED cable then give me a price and I'll consider it. In terms of affordability, I guarantee you I'm not the weak link but I suspect you both are. Good day to you both.

·
Registered
604 Posts
There's a difference between being able to afford things and wanting to spend the least amount of money for an experiment.
I earn a good wage. Own my house outright. Paid for my Niro outright. Have a shed load of savings. Retire next year with a very comfortable pension. Have lots of disposable income. That doesn't mean I'm willing to dispose of it willy nilly. It's not a question of affordability. If you can't help then frankly go fornicate with yourself. If you can help then please do so even if it means you stick your unwanted cable on eBay. If you can't afford to get rid of your UNWANTED cable then give me a price and I'll consider it. In terms of affordability, I guarantee you I'm not the weak link but I suspect you both are. Good day to you both.
I should have two, both type 2 32 amp. A recoil BMW one from my BMW I3 and a straight one from my Nissan Leaf. Both 5m. Will dig around in the shed / garage Wednesday and get them on ebay. Any 32amp cable will run at 16 amps, it's vice versa that wont work. My wife has a 32amp Nissan Leaf type 1 cable (bought off ebay) she uses at home and work on 7 kw T2 chargers to charge here 16amp T1 Chevy Volt, works no problems.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't bother. I've decided I can't afford it at any price. Gone off the whole idea and I don't need the bull that comes when you ask an innocent question on a forum that is supposedly created to help like minded people. Good day everyone. I'll be unfollowing this disaster of a discussion thread.

·
Registered
87 Posts
considerably richer than yow I’m sure - Pistonheads is that way >>>>>>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts