·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
With so many cheap EVs coming into the market (MG, Fiat, VW Up, used Leaf 40s etc), surely Renault have killed the used market with the battery lease?

£13k for a Zoe 40? Great. £13k + battery lease (or £18k battery owned)? Not so much.

Not meaning to rain on yer parade, I’m sure it’ll sell right now - but I don’t think this will be the case for much longer.

Reactions: Nat038

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
575 Posts
I used to think the same about Zoe's but most people only keep cars for 2-3 years to these days and the battery lease gives people piece of mind and a cheaper purchase price.

When you factor it in with monthly finance payments it probably works out cheaper in the short term to lease than buy a Zoe with a battery and a bit like a PCP the option to purchase the battery is now there too.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,297 Posts
More to the point, buyers have an option to buy out the battery lease now.

I can't understand where the downside is in this.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,297 Posts
£13k for a Zoe 40? Great. £13k + battery lease (or £18k battery owned)? Not so much.
There's a reason these cars are advertised at this price - because they sell at that price.

It's a 2018 car, high spec and low mileage. What's not to like?

·
Premium Member
11,915 Posts
With the new Zoe at £25K+ there is definitely still a place for used battery lease cars. There seems to be some people on here with a pathological aversion to it, but it can work out well for a lot of people, especially those who do low miles. Just like share ownership of property, it allows people to buy an EV who perhaps couldn't otherwise. Renault are still offering the option in other countries.

Anyway, good luck with your sale. I struggled to sell my ZE40 Signature privately a few months ago. I had it on Autotrader, Facebook and here at a lot less than dealers and despite lots of views, got no enquiries. Your colour is rare and the market changes, so hopefully you will do better.

In the end I sold mine to an independent EV dealer, who paid a fair price, collected and transferred battery lease. PM me if you want details.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Why oh why did you really feel it necessary to add your two pennies worth to my advert? You could have raised a new topic in General EV Discussion for your opinion which adds no value whatsoever to my attempt to sell the car. You've not rained on my parade, you've pissed all over it!
It’s a discussion forum ;) Autotrader doesn’t have a comments section if that’s more your thing 😆

@cah197 That was my point - they sell at this price... for now. I wonder how much longer.

Reactions: Petriix

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think it's valid to discuss pricing on a for sale post. This is a discussion forum after all. It's pretty interesting to see the way the second hand market responds to battery lease. It may well be that, over the typical length of ownership, it works out cheaper to pay the lower purchase price and pay the lease on top.

For me, however, it's a bridge too far to pay more for the battery lease than I was paying for diesel in my old car. I know that depreciation is even more costly, but the psychological impact of the battery lease is significant, especially as new cars aren't sold under this model any more.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
The BBC has just discussed battery longevity - who in their right mind would think that paying what feels like a mobile phone contract cost to never ever have to worry about the battery is a bad thing. Throw in a low EV purchase price, and a Zoe with ongoing lease with free recovery is the deal of the century. A sig 40 version with that bit more luxury and range is a steal for someone who travels a fair distance for work, and for maybe a retired couple - are you sure you really want to sell them both ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts