Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my experience. I have a 2016 94aH REX which I purchased in December 2020

I was pleased with the car, a lot that I really like but I found the handling disappointing. For me, the steering was way too twitchy, particularly round higher speed corners and also while on motorway. I saw some threads recommending wheel spacers. I have never been into cosmetic mods on my cars but I wondered if this would improve the handling

Fitted 15mm spacers all round and I am really impressed. The car feels much more stable and so much better in corners. I am surprised how much difference for the better there is with spacers fitted

I purchased THESE Which cost me £91.36 for 4 delivered, even had the black bolts rather than silver, nice. Very good quality and a doddle to fit

I am in no way affiliated with the seller, advise you do your own due diligence and let your insurance know

·
Registered
193 Posts
Insurance companies really don't care about these things and the whole 'insurance company won't pay if you don't declare the aftermarket furry dice' is an urban myth. Call centre operators are there to either say no or to charge you, they won't ever say go ahead I'll take the responsibility. This is why we get all this nonsense about having to tell the insurance company about fitting snow tyres and then having the operator say no. I had a heavily modified car written of a few years ago ( 2 sides of A4 of declared modifications) and the only thing the assessor checked was the tyre tread depth, he didn't even open the (someway crumpled) bonnet. What will cause a claim not to be paid is doing something that causes the loss such as allowing tyres to wear below the legal minimum or trying to claim for expensive aftermarket components. I used to know an insurance assesor and apparently the standard conversaton after a car was stolen would go, "Your car is worth £2000. No its not, the alloys alone cost me £2500. Did you declare them ? No. Your car is worth £2000".

One final thing with the I3 is that since there are at least 7 different combinations of wheel width, offset and diameter, who is going to determine what is original and what is aftermarket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Your car is worth £2000. No its not, the alloys alone cost me £2500. Did you declare them ? No. Your car is worth £2000”
So clearly better in this scenario to declare them......

Anyway, I’m comfortable that I declared to insurance company and have the peace of mind that I’m covered, my inclination is to err on the side of caution. Appreciate not everyone will follow the same path

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,652 Posts
Insurance companies really don't care about these things and the whole 'insurance company won't pay if you don't declare the aftermarket furry dice' is an urban myth. Call centre operators are there to either say no or to charge you, they won't ever say go ahead I'll take the responsibility. This is why we get all this nonsense about having to tell the insurance company about fitting snow tyres and then having the operator say no. I had a heavily modified car written of a few years ago ( 2 sides of A4 of declared modifications) and the only thing the assessor checked was the tyre tread depth, he didn't even open the (someway crumpled) bonnet. What will cause a claim not to be paid is doing something that causes the loss such as allowing tyres to wear below the legal minimum or trying to claim for expensive aftermarket components. I used to know an insurance assesor and apparently the standard conversaton after a car was stolen would go, "Your car is worth £2000. No its not, the alloys alone cost me £2500. Did you declare them ? No. Your car is worth £2000".

One final thing with the I3 is that since there are at least 7 different combinations of wheel width, offset and diameter, who is going to determine what is original and what is aftermarket.
Snow tyres are an exemption for the majority of UK insurers now, you just don’t have to declare them.

Anecdotal evidence aside, your insurance small print will always say modifications from standard specification will need to be declared.

In my experience, insurance call centre drones don’t just say ‘No’ or charge you, but just record the material change to the car in line with your conditions of insurance.

It’s a no brainer to declare these things, in my view, then you’ve got piece of mind.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
I agree with everything that you wrote above except the implication of this. Yes, the modification makes sense and particularly if it just replicates one of the existing options. But some wheel spacers are really badly done and I have seen the after-effects of some that have failed including OEM bolts torn from aluminium spacers and from hubs with too short OEM bolts used.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with everything above, I am not arguing about informing your insurance company but as with everything it is a matter of degree. 15mm longer bolts and spacers with OEM wheels on an I3 arent going to cause any problems. It's the people who put spacers on and still use the standard bolts that you need to worry about. I knew someone who accidentally swapped the wire wheel adaptor sides on his MG and had two wheels fall off before he realised his mistake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thought I would share my experience. I have a 2016 94aH REX which I purchased in December 2020

I was pleased with the car, a lot that I really like but I found the handling disappointing. For me, the steering was way too twitchy, particularly round higher speed corners and also while on motorway. I saw some threads recommending wheel spacers. I have never been into cosmetic mods on my cars but I wondered if this would improve the handling

Fitted 15mm spacers all round and I am really impressed. The car feels much more stable and so much better in corners. I am surprised how much difference for the better there is with spacers fitted

I purchased THESE Which cost me £91.36 for 4 delivered, even had the black bolts rather than silver, nice. Very good quality and a doddle to fit

I am in no way affiliated with the seller, advise you do your own due diligence and let your insurance know
any pictures of before and after?

I'm assuming the tyres dont stick outside the arches?

·
Registered
75 Posts

So BMW with a research budget of millions fails to identify that spending £91.36 will dramatically improve the handling of its expensive showcase EV?

Odd, very odd.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts

Did you have to modify the existing bolts?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Thanks. That would be my preferred way but the ones I've seen for the Leafs use the existing studs to retain the spacer and then have separate studs for the wheel nuts. This only works if the spacer is thick enough or there is a recess in the wheel flange, otherwise you have to cut off the excess.
I'm also not keen on bolting my wheel to an alloy spacer with only 10mm of thread holding it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I fitted spacers the back of my Honda Gen 1 it transformed the handling on it as well, they have a narrow rear track which causes wandering even on straight roads due to tram lining, cornering was much improved along with Matiz rear springs to improve its ride.
I am thinking of spacers for my I3

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
I fitted spacers the back of my Honda Gen 1 it transformed the handling on it as well, they have a narrow rear track which causes wandering even on straight roads due to tram lining, cornering was much improved along with Matiz rear springs to improve its ride.
I am thinking of spacers for my I3
The Leaf could do with set of 40mm lower springs and better dampers as well. It's really badly affected by cross winds too. I've had to steer it in a straight line this morning as it just wanders about. My coach built camper never wandered: it just leaned. This and the handling are the most disappointing things about the Leaf, but when did Nissan last produce a 'drivers' car?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts