Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Peugeot Partner EV
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Leaf with 17" alloy wheels as shown below. Is there anyone out there with similar wheels, but 16" want to consider a swap? At the time of posting this post, the tyres have done less than 100 miles!

http://bitz.me.uk/wheels.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
The 17” wheels ride better on my 2018 Leaf than my old Leaf24 Acenta wheels did!

In my opinion the only reason to change would be that 16” tyres are cheaper!

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's amazing the cost difference on 16 v 17. I put cross climates on my Soul (admitted on a good 10% flash sale with Black Circles) for £378 fitted. To put four on the Leaf we are getting the cheapest I could find it was just under £500 and that includes some codes and £50 cashback from Michelin. There would probably be a slight efficiency gain from running 16's v 17's as well so I can understand why someone would want to do it. I'm tempted to keep the stock tyres and use it as a work from home excuse and we have one car that can get out in (most) winter conditions.

·
Peugeot Partner EV
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason for the change is simply less punctures.

With the low profile tyres, there's not enough give in the side walls to prevent side wall damage. When you live down a country track where the road is made up of stones and rocks, its a big problem. Whilst my track is dog rough, some of the local roads are getting just as bad with craters all over the roads.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I've only ever seen Leaf 40s in Tekna spec, with the 17s.
They already look too small, swamped by the somewhat bulky bodywork.
It must look hellish with 16s.
It's not as if changing to the 16s would give much more sidewall, there's only 5.25mm difference in sidewall height between the 205/55x16 and the 215/50x17.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't want to hijack your post, but I have a question.

With my Prius, the 16" wheels gave lower CO2 (keeping it free of London congestion charge) and gave it more MPG compared with the version with 17" wheels.

Would smaller 16" wheels on the LEAF, get you further on a charge than with 17" wheels?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I don't want to hijack your post, but I have a question.

With my Prius, the 16" wheels gave lower CO2 (keeping it free of London congestion charge) and gave it more MPG compared with the version with 17" wheels.

Would smaller 16" wheels on the LEAF, get you further on a charge than with 17" wheels?
In short. Yes.

On the Austrian website I’m sure I saw a reference to higher WLTP figure with 16” wheels. No idea why it’s not mentioned in the UK

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I've only ever seen Leaf 40s in Tekna spec, with the 17s.
They already look too small, swamped by the somewhat bulky bodywork.
It must look hellish with 16s.
It's not as if changing to the 16s would give much more sidewall, there's only 5.25mm difference in sidewall height between the 205/55x16 and the 215/50x17.
There's a visia at nissan Westway Altrincham and that's riding on 16" wheels. I can imagine that will be a hard to shift car when it finally gets registered at some point!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts