Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife managed to damage the side wall on one of my Zoe's front tyres today. Then the problems started, having scraped the internet all afternoon it appears that Michelin have discontinued the Energy E-V tyres and the replacement tyre is the Primacy 4, 195/55/R16 91T XL. It's been recommended that I don't mix the Energy E-V tyre and the Primacy 4 on the same axle so that's 2 new tyres. I only changed them a couple of month's ago and have done less than 1000 miles on them - bugger!

Just the logistic problem of getting a jack under the car and the wheel to the tyre shop then the car there for the other tyre change now. I think I will have to drive the punctured wheel onto some wood to lift the front a little to get enough height to get my jack in. Fortunately it's behind a locked gate so I should be able to leave the car on an axle stand for an hour while I go to get the tyre fitted. Having phoned Renault assist I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to use them.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,219 Posts
That's annoying. Have you tried Camskill and Micheldever? They're massive distributors so if there is one knocking about they should be able to find it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried them and now have paid for the Primacy 4's as I need to get the car back in the road.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
509 Posts
Don't forget to keep the old good tyre as a spare or sell on

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,791 Posts
It's been recommended that I don't mix the Energy E-V tyre and the Primacy 4 on the same axle so that's 2 new tyres.
I bet they do, but unless your rallying the car you won’t notice any difference.

I ran an odd front (cheapo) tyre and never noticed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bet they do, but unless your rallying the car you won’t notice any difference.

Yes and no, its all about grip and how the car handles in the extremes.

I wouldn't change all 4, but at least keep the same tyre with around the same tread per axle.

The handling, especially in the wet will become unpredictable.

New tyres should always be fitted to the rear, regardless of which are the driving wheels for safety too.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,791 Posts
The handling, especially in the wet will become unpredictable.
Will it?

I never noticed. At least not any more than if say one tyre was older or more worn than another, which tends to happen on the Zoe due to uneven wear.

I never got the Zoe on a skid pan to check, but had plenty of driving on wet roads.

Of course most people who get their car into a skid-turn event wouldn't know what to do even if the tyres were all new and perfectly matched.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
673 Posts

When I last looked, a long time ago, UK regulations require that you have the same type of tyre (radial or cross ply) on each axle.

The French are far more strict, requiring (AFAIK) the same tyres (brand and variant) on each axle. French tyre outlets refuse to fit otherwise in my experience.

I have had skid-pan training and I can confirm that, for example, having a low tread tyre of one side and a new tyre on the other has a disastrous effect on handling on a skid pan. As does having old tyres, with little tread, at one end and new tyres at the other. The effect can be exaggerated by having the old tyres at high pressure and the new tyres at low pressure, and the extreme behaviour is one way of learning how to control skids, with lots of understeer or lots of oversteer, depending on which end of the car you have the different tyres.

Skid pan courses recommended - I learnt a lot.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A quick search found the tyre available here:

Also just to check - is the "Energy Saver" https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-energy-saver tyre not closer to the energy e-v than the primacy 4? the E-V was only really aimed at the Renault Zoe.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Of course most people who get their car into a skid-turn event wouldn't know what to do even if the tyres were all new and perfectly matched.
Skid pan courses recommended - I learnt a lot.
I agree with both. They should be part of the compulsory driver training.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just the logistic problem of getting a jack under the car and the wheel to the tyre shop then the car there for the other tyre change now. I think I will have to drive the punctured wheel onto some wood to lift the front a little to get enough height to get my jack in.
I had a similar situation a few months back and got a mobile tyre company in. They charged £25 call out but it was worth it to save the hassle of getting Renault Assist to take it to a tyre shop. Also they have serious jacks which Zoe requires being quite heavy (which is why the manual doesn't advise using normal car jacks and doesn't provide them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My small trolley jack lifted the car reasonably comfortably once I had driven the punctured tyre onto a 2" block of wood, which I was happy to do knowing the tyre was already trashed. I suspect a standard car jack would struggle.

The new tyres are appreciably heavier than the old ones, which I presume is down to the side walls. The new tyres came with 6 mm tread depth, which is marginally lower than the Energy E-V tyres at 6.5 mm in the centre when new. Ha the tread depth been reduced to get the efficiency up or does the newer rubber compound wear more slowly. I suspect the latter and they've reduced the tread depth so they don't last too long.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It surprises me that tyres in the EU don't have any standard for ware, unlike the USA. We are left with marketing information and no numbers. Yes its going to depend on how you drive and what car they are fitted to - but it would provide an obvious comparison.
Do the numbers on USA tyres give an accurate figure for same brand tyres in the EU or do tyres differ country by country? Michelin Tire Traction, Temperature, Treadwear Ratings

·
Registered
137 Posts
My small trolley jack lifted the car reasonably comfortably once I had driven the punctured tyre onto a 2" block of wood, which I was happy to do knowing the tyre was already trashed. I suspect a standard car jack would struggle.

The new tyres are appreciably heavier than the old ones, which I presume is down to the side walls. The new tyres came with 6 mm tread depth, which is marginally lower than the Energy E-V tyres at 6.5 mm in the centre when new. Ha the tread depth been reduced to get the efficiency up or does the newer rubber compound wear more slowly. I suspect the latter and they've reduced the tread depth so they don't last too long.
Thats crazy, so the tyres only have 3mm if usable life in them as they should be getting changed at 3 due to the risk of aquaplaning.

I was always under the impression that new tyres came with 8mm of tread, i was shocked when i measured my EV tyres and they were down to 5.5mm after 5000 miles, but if they are only coming with 6.5 that makes much more sense.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Michelin advertising for the Primacy 4 says they have squared the bottom of the channels in the tyres so they can shift more water when they are worn and say they have the same performance when worn as new, which seems to be quite a bold claim.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
This. In a dynamic situation in FWD, most people will get it wrong anyway and pendulum off the road. I wouldn't worry too much. Also, ESP systems these days are so clever that you'd have to go full throttle into a tight corner on ice to cause it a problem.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Why do people say the Zoe is too heavy for a 'normal' jack? Ours weighs less than 1½ tons. Our diesel Mazda5 MPV weighed more than that and had a normal jack. And that's with all the extra weight at the front of the car instead of more spread out like the battery in a Zoe.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The weight capacity of scissor jacks is greatly reduced when they are in their lowest position, so when the rated capacity of a jack might be 1 tonne, this is the maximum and at it's lowest height it might only be 50% so 500 Kg.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The weight capacity of scissor jacks is greatly reduced when they are in their lowest position, so when the rated capacity of a jack might be 1 tonne, this is the maximum and at it's lowest height it might only be 50% so 500 Kg.
Seriously!? So if the jack fails on a car, they can say that the rated load is actually false? :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts