Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Polestar 2
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

We're looking at a new (new) Ampera at the moment. Is there any way to tell if it has the 17.1Kwh battery pack rather than the older 16.5? Dealer knows nowt about an increase..

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Anything I have ever read indicates that they are trying to sell old stock of the Ampera before any more are built at the Detroit factory. As the increased battery capacity is a 2015 Model Year Chevy Volt specification update I doubt there will have been an Ampera built yet with the increased capacity as yet.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.

Derek

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Polestar 2
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fear you might be right Derek... Dealer is saying that specs and colours of cars he can get is limited, pointing at old stock being sourced. Shame as an extra 0.6Kwh for nothing would be nice!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
0.6kWh only works out at about 1.4 miles so I wouldn't be too worried ;-) but of course it would be nice!

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
I am still waiting and watching the ads to buy my Ampera hopefully for Christmas or the New Year. Just wondered has anybody had any real issues with their Ampera?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I am still waiting and watching the ads to buy my Ampera hopefully for Christmas or the New Year. Just wondered has anybody had any real issues with their Ampera?
Most of us have a few niggles, but I don't think there have been any real show stoppers for a while now. The only one I can think of (not that I have had it myself) is the plastic gearbox bearing.
But that's a known fault and should be done under warranty.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Most of us have a few niggles, but I don't think there have been any real show stoppers for a while now. The only one I can think of (not that I have had it myself) is the plastic gearbox bearing.
But that's a known fault and should be done under warranty.
I think that bearing cage failure is something you either got in the first year or two of ownership or you never get it. That guy is the USA with his 140k miles on a 2012 Volt has not had that failure, and if anyone would you might say it has to be him due to interstellar mileage. From what I've read it was traced to poor alignment / assembly in the factory causing premature wear. I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to trace the cars with faults back to they days and factory shifts they where made and sacked some dodgy Mexican immigrant who was doing a poor job with the bearings he fitted. Problem disappeared now!

M

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
Not making any more ?? Unbelievable ! What do you think that will do to the second-hand market? Will they still depreciate £1000+ every year or will they become collectors cars ???

·
Super Moderator
5,939 Posts
Not making any more ?? Unbelievable ! What do you think that will do to the second-hand market? Will they still depreciate £1000+ every year or will they become collectors cars ???
I think the price will stabilise and possibly even start to edge up slightly once all of the new stock is sold

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Despite various random non-concrete reports, I still firmly believe the new Ampera will come to Europe in 2015/6...

·
Super Moderator
7,620 Posts
If that's the case then GM really ought to let their dealer network know as at the moment they are seriously "off message"
Agreed, plus the fact Vauxhall didn't even come to LCV2014 says a lot about their market intentions.

Reactions: Brooktop

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The Facebook group 'Chevy Volt Owners' is very popular with our cousins across the pond...and they moan about the poor marketing of a (dare I say it) unequalled car. Boy, they ain't seen nothing!

In 10 years Marketing students will be studying it as a 'how not to...' case study.

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
Just looking at the Autotrader Ads for Amperas. I see one or two 2012 Models are down to £15K with around 39K on the clock so if you are looking to buy one (Like me) the New Year should see even more reductions especially when everyone has spent their Christmas money and demand could be even less. Might be some real bargains around. Let's wait and see....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts