Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SR+ with Aero Wheels and really want to replace them with OEM 19 inch Sports Wheels. Plan to order the wheels from Tesla.
Has anyone else done this? If so have you notice any range, comfort or performance differences?

Also wondering if there is a market for barely used Aero Wheels?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've no doubt there will be a huge market for used aeros, for people looking for spare sets for winter tyres.

Nothing for the SR+, but EPA ratings for the LR should give you an idea:

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a great review if you haven't seen it:

https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/reviews/tesla-model-3-uk-the-first-3500-mile-mega-review.html

As you will note, he has upgraded to 20" and seen a 15% drop in range. I get that we all want our cars to look good but it still baffles me how we can all spend so much time talking about range of EVs and maximising it and then voluntarily giving 15% away just for the car to look marginally better! 🤯
Fair point, but range isn’t usually the only deciding factor. For me the appearance of the car is also hugely important, otherwise I would’ve just got LEAF e+ or gone for a kona/e-Niro which get comparable range to the SR+ on Aeros, if not more and are slightly cheaper.

My typical daily drive is less than 30 miles. I have a 7kW home charger. I do one or two 100+ mile drives in a year. So even losing 15% range is no big issue at all.

I very much doubt that I will lose anywhere near 15% range during my typical urban city driving on 19s but am interested to see if anyone has had first hand experience with them on their SR+.

Just to add, I would’ve configured my SR+ with 19 inch Sport Wheels had Tesla offered that. My budget and need didn’t stretch to the AWD LR variant and when I placed my order Tesla had stopped offering 19s with the AWD LR anyway. What can I say, I guess I’m a bit vain.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Fair point, but range isn’t usually the only deciding factor. For me the appearance of the car is also hugely important, otherwise I would’ve just got LEAF e+ or gone for a kona/e-Niro which get comparable range to the SR+ on Aeros, if not more and are slightly cheaper.

My typical daily drive is less than 30 miles. I have a 7kW home charger. I do one or two 100+ mile drives in a year. So even losing 15% range is no big issue at all.

I very much doubt that I will lose anywhere near 15% range during my typical urban city driving on 19s but am interested to see if anyone has had first hand experience with them on their SR+.

Just to add, I would’ve configured my SR+ with 19 inch Sport Wheels had Tesla offered that. My budget and need didn’t stretch to the AWD LR variant and when I placed my order Tesla had stopped offering 19s with the AWD LR anyway. What can I say, I guess I’m a bit vain.
Life is full of ‘should do this’ or ‘should do that ...’. But, in my opinion, personal preference is important and a differentiator. If you want something different, if it doesn’t adversely impact others and you can afford it, why not? 19 or even 20s on a SR+? Why not!

·
Striving for a greener planet
327 Posts

Completely agree with you mate. If looks had nothing to do with it we’d all be driving around in boring grey boxes.
I went for the 19s on the LR AWD for the same reasons as you. Don’t like the look of the 18s at all. Each to their own.
I saw someone on here order a set of 19s from Tesla for £1500. I thought they’d be more. I’m now considering this myself so I have 2 sets. One winter and one summer. Did contemplate having a set of second hand OEM 18s for winter but that’s for 4 months of the year without the 19s I paid extra for so the car looked good. So a second set of 19s may now be on their way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Completely agree with you mate. If looks had nothing to do with it we’d all be driving around in boring grey boxes.
I went for the 19s on the LR AWD for the same reasons as you. Don’t like the look of the 18s at all. Each to their own.
I saw someone on here order a set of 19s from Tesla for £1500. I thought they’d be more. I’m now considering this myself so I have 2 sets. One winter and one summer. Did contemplate having a set of second hand OEM 18s for winter but that’s for 4 months of the year without the 19s I paid extra for so the car looked good. So a second set of 19s may now be on their way.
A fellow M3 owner I met at the Dartford service centre yesterday, said he originally ordered his AWD LR with 19s but changed his order to Aeros to speed up delivery, got a set of 19s afterwards for £1500 (without tyres, he got those from Costco as he didn’t want to pay Tesla prices for Hankooks when he could get Michelins from Costco).

I’ve requested a set at Dartford SC also without tyres, though they refused to give me a price until they have the set in their hands. I assume it’ll be £1500.

·
Registered
948 Posts

I do get it - i would usually choose the bigger wheels too, especially in an ICE. It’s just that with EVs I am already concerned with range so have changed my perspective. It sounds like in your case it really doesn’t matter but I have a suspicion there will be quite a few on here talking about turning air conditioning systems off etc to eek out more range whilst having removed their aero wheels...!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I do get it - i would usually choose the bigger wheels too, especially in an ICE. It’s just that with EVs I am already concerned with range so have changed my perspective. It sounds like in your case it really doesn’t matter but I have a suspicion there will be quite a few on here talking about turning air conditioning systems off etc to eek out more range whilst having removed their aero wheels...!
I am with you, I really like the Arachnid 21” wheels for the Model S, just not enough to have to stop more often to charge en-route, so swapped out for Slipstream 19” and live with cheaper tyres too...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got my local SC to order in a set of 19 inch sport wheels. Now I have to decide whether to get the Hankook tyres Tesla provide of get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and get them fitted at kwikfit/costco.

Next I'll need to find new home(s) for my 18 inch Aeros. Any one have an idea for a fair price for these? They've done 308 miles since collection day on 9th November.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i've no doubt in east london where i live, if I kept the Aero wheels on, they'd be stolen by the end of the week...

·
Registered
175 Posts
... just for the car to look marginally better! 🤯
I disagree, I don't think the 19's or 20' look any better - subjective of course as others have pointed out. Either way, here is a list of definite negatives in going for larger wheels:
  • Expensive tyres
  • Harsher/firmer ride
  • Increased road noise
  • Curb rash more likely
  • Wheel damage from potholes more likely
  • Reduced range
I also think Tesla overturned the traditional view of performance cars by producing under-stated, comfortable, family sized, cars that out-perform their ICE counterparts screaming GT performance left right and center. IMO that is also why it makes little sense to fit body kits with fake exhaust openings to Model 3.

As we know, performance ICE cars come with big wheels standard. But for everyday non-track use, it is more of a statement rather than a technical requirement. Just like the fact that large performance brake systems are mostly beneficial at top-end speed and track endurance more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The slower you go, the more rolling resistance has an effect compared to aerodynamic drag.

However, if you do mostly urban miles, even 200 miles of range is likely to be way more than you need in a day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts