Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced the turtle for the first time last night. I left work with 19 miles to do a 10 mile journey.

Less than a mile from Gloucester services (sign in vision) turtle on dash I ground to a halt on the hard shoulder. It was a long hour before the recovery truck arrived to take me less than a mile.

Could it be the weather that caused it to drop so rapidly? The heater hadn’t been put on just the seats.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Lately I have seen 1+% for a mile.. what was the SoC and do you see any weak cells on LeafSpy? What's the max voltage diff?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
But even so, to only get 9 miles range to a complete stop with 19 showing on the GOM is pretty staggering. I would be more interested to know what the battery percentage was when the GOM showed 19 miles and rely on the battery percentage more than the GOM.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
But even so, to only get 9 miles range to a complete stop with 19 showing on the GOM is pretty staggering. I would be more interested to know what the battery percentage was when the GOM showed 19 miles and rely on the battery percentage more than the GOM.
That just implies that one of the cells reach the lower voltage limit whilst others still had capacity.

There will always differences in voltage across 96 cells but it gets worse as cells age.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Would really need to see the SOC rather than just the GOM reading.

Every models different, but in cold weather the B250 for instance has a pretty severe "departure tax". It uses a lot of energy to heat the battery pack (and interior too if you've not pre-heated) and that really hammers the battery for the first 5 miles or so, easily doubling normal consumption. In this weather 60miles is usually possible from a full battery but multiple short trips will really hammer it.

When its really cold, i've seen the B250 use close to 30% of the battery to do the 5miles each way to the wifes work.

Infact today she did 2 short 1 mile trips, plus two longer 20mile trips, and it was down to 10% SOC. She went to drive to asda (1mile away) this evening and the GOM was showing 6miles at 10% SOC. By the end of the street it had already dropped to 4 miles, so she chickened out and turned around, and ended up spending 10 minutes defrosting the ICE to go collect the shopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts