Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

I currently own a 57 Ford C-Max 2.0 diesel and really want to change for an EV. I test drove a 24 kwh Leaf in February and was starting to look around before the world went in to lockdown. My budget would be around 10k (or under £200 pcm) and I average around 8000 miles a year (Daily 20-30 mile commute with occasional longer journeys of say 80 miles) I'd also be using it probably once a year to go on longer journeys for holiday etc. Looking at the figures I'm currently spending around £150 a month on the C-Max (fuel, road tax and general maintenance) so I could almost buy the new EV for a similar price (and potentially save much more once it's been paid for). It would be a choice of either a loan or a PCP depending on which car I end up going for.

So after initially looking at the Leaf 24 kwh I realised that a Leaf 30 would be much better. I've now also started to look at the Zoe, here's my thoughts on the cars I have in mind, any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leaf 30 - £9-10k Range 90-120
This was my initial first choice but having read of the poor battery degradation if I was to purchase the car outright I'd be concerned about the resale in 3 - 5 years time.

Renault Zoe.. but which one to choose..?

Zoe 22 Q210
(Lease) £6-8k Range 80-100
They seem like a really nice car. I'd be looking for a car that was under warranty (or had the warranty extended) as I've read about failures with the chargers and inverters being very expensive to repair(?).
Zoe 22 Q210 (i) £9-11k Range 80-100
As above but with the battery being owned I'd be more likely to keep the car for longer if it suited without worrying about paying the battery lease.
Zoe 40 R90 £10-12k Range 140-170
This seems like the perfect car for me to own for a couple of years, the range would be perfect for me 99% of the time except for longer journeys. With it only having the 22 kw charger, this would mean lengthy (1h 45m) stops on longer journeys, meaning the same trip could actually be quicker with the Q210 motor (budget wouldn't stretch to the Q90).

Does anyone have any experience of the monthly battery lease? I've heard people say just to opt for the lowest tier >4500 miles as either their mileage wasn't checked or it's as cheap to pay for the excess mileage?

I'm going to try and go for a test drive in the Zoe as I'm quite tall (6' 3") to make absolutely sure that I fit comfortably! If I had the budget I'd also be looking at the Soul 30 and Hyundai Ioniq 28 but unfortunately they're a little out of my price range.

Any information, insights good dealers to try (I'm East Midlands based) or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,100 Posts
I'm going to try and go for a test drive in the Zoe as I'm quite tall (6' 3") to make absolutely sure that I fit comfortably!
I'm 6'2" And feel like there's still a fair bit of space beyond my size. The seat in the Zoe isn't very adjustable but it's already fairly low down imo so you end up with quite a lot of space for taller people.

The LEAF Does feel like a nicer car though, and is generally more spacious. The 30kWh one, as long as you opt for one with a healthy battery to start with and continue to look after it throughout your ownership (don't get it too hot, don't leave it sitting around with very high or very low charge etc.) then degradation won't be too much of a worry. It's definitely not as big of an issue as some people previously posted since the early horror stories were mostly from people who simply needed a software update! The 30kWh cars all have 8 Year warranty on the battery too, so that should help settle fears about degradation or bad cells.

For the longer journeys, very few cars at this price point can beat the rapid charge speeds of the 30kWh LEAF. Against something like a Q model Zoe especially there's no competition!

·
Registered
203 Posts
From what I understand, the Zoe looks after its battery more carefully, so degradation is pretty low (the Zoe can use its heat pump to heat or cool the battery during charging) compared to the leaf: Nissan Leaf battery degradation data: 24 vs 30 kWh batteries - PushEVs vs on average about 3% per year on Zoes.
Zoe is pretty high inside - perfect for tall people on shorter commutes. Driving position is fine but the rest you'll find small compared to a C-Max - it really competes in a different size bracket. Do a test drive!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts