Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

OK a bit pathetic I know, but I pick up my car tomorrow morning after best part of 2 years of trauma. A story in itself.

Anyway that aside, it's showroom and keys time! I've done a fair bit of homework but all the same it's for real now and some advice on the first route and your experience on charging would be interesting.

I have a very decent panel on the car that advises charging places and I believe also if they are working or not. I have the Zap map, Electromap and Plug Share apps on phone but all new. The car has more than decent range in reality but I want to learn the charging routines and locations. Charge point is on drivers side rear and it's a long old unit.

After collection we are driving up to the Lake District for a couple of days from Shropshire. I've travelled a lot but never been there before, can you believe? Stopping in Coniston and the hotel does have a Project EV charger although they know little more than that about charge rates etc.

So part of the fun of this new world is of course learning the new tools, locations and techniques, and I'm more than prepared to invest the time in that.

But just from your own experiences, what charge points would you recommend (or suggest avoid) for the haul up there and the day after when we will do the big lakes loop. I've pasted the 2nd day map below. And the drive up I guess will be getting on M6 at maybe J14 or J12. Just looking make the first outing a relaxed, fun lightweight one before starting to get this thing to stretch it's legs on some more challenging long hauls.

New car, new fuel, new place to drive round all in one day :) Many thanks in advance.

Colorfulness World Rectangle Organism Map

Colorfulness World Rectangle Organism Map

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What make of car and battery size?

Instavolt network is your friend in the Lake District (and anywhere else really). Usually to be found at Booths supermarkets around The Lakes.
It's an EQS and battery is 108kw. So practically there should be no issue. But I'm keen to get to understand the networks and best options / methods etc. Less concerned about range anxiety etc, just best places, best chance of well maintained units .... and if I can get the thing in at the right angle to connect it :)

Instavolt .... super stuff, will check the details out for them. Not heard of Booths but time has come to learn about that. I can see Ionity chargers at Stafford M6. Useful for the way back. Also at Darwen.

Thanks for the steer.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can also recommend the MFG site just off M6 J27. 8 x150 chargers I think

Costa on site

Good spot for on the way there AND of course if you need a “splash” on your way back knowing how many miles it is from there to home
Nice one Cheshire. Is a good mid point option .... not heard of MFG before. Just reading about now. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, use Zap-map to check what networks that are in the area and download the apps.
Add a credit card so you are ready to charge.
Rapid chargers will get younfrom roughly 20-80% in 30-40 minutes.
Watch out for parking restrictions.
Thanks Harry. Yes I have the app but not greatly familiar with it yet. Time has come :)

I know on the car I have a plug & charge option .... but again unused and not hugely familiar where it can be used. A credit card I will add. Is good advice. I didn't know about parking limitations. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My advice would be try to stick to Rapid Charges and then only fall back onto fast charge if no other options - I can't comment on in car map on yours but I know on my Enyaq it is useless so I no longer trust it and resort to zap maps myself.
Interesting to know about the quality of the car map Dreador. I had assumed that would be a good source. But based on zero experience. Will take all that on board. . Also will report back when I'm in a position to assess better, how good the car map is on ours. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use ZapMap in the car and have the premium version which supports CarPlay and Android Auto. Although a rip-off at £49 per year for just that feature.
Thanks for the advice. It does appear that Zap Map gets good marks. Will be interesting to compare the various apps and car system.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have an EQS so you'll fit right in at Booths ;)
Made me laugh. Well although I've been ruined with top end cars with the career most of my adult life, the last 10 years I've been running a 94 106 Peugeot diesel base model with 250k on the clock. It's not a bad upgrade is it? :)

Truth of the matter is that I've never bought a new car, this is the first. And we always said we would only get one when there was something genuinely interesting and when we had the time to do some genuinely interesting touring. Granted Lake District is a baby step but that's the plan, to use this thing in anger with some long hauls.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also like WattsUp (not WhatsApp) - it's also excellent - may even be better.

But with that car and charge speed and range it will be decent.

Stick to Ionity, Instavolt, MFG

Avoid BP Pulse like the plague
Will download that one and take a look SoulGW. Not hear of that one. I think I have some sort of arrangement were MB plan the charge costs for the first year. I need find out with what partners that is.

Have to confess for signing up for the BP card although it has yet to show. I guess this is where the learning begins. I didn;t know they were not rated.

Thanks for sharing experiences.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Worth your while getting a Mercedes Me charge card. You get 1 year free subscription with your EQS and 26p per kWh at Ionity.
Indeed ... I got one oniline and registered it. Then they gave me one with the car and rather cleverly lost the original registered one! Scrabbling around trying to find it! Best laid plans ....

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Agree with the Instavolt suggestion. I rely on them when I go to the Lakes.

To be honest:,

a. The options for other operators are limited up there. The Lakes area is not over blessed with rapid options.

b. Lakes, or anywhere else for that matter, Instavolt should be on your list of go to chargers. They are one of the best operators for reliability, are easy to use and take contactless payment.

The ones in the Lakes at Booths do tend to be the older 50kw units, so you're going to be waiting a little while. Fortunately, Booths have a nice cafe in them.

Bear in mind as well though that, because options are limited, and Instavolt are known to be reliable, you won't be the only one seeking them out as option no.1. Therefore, they can often be busy.
Thanks for the heads up. All useful stuff and expectation setting for us. The mindset needs reprograming some to say the least. Really looking forward to this.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was all enthusiastic about planning for all charging eventualities when I got my first EV 2.5 years ago. Applied for every card I could and downloaded and registered on every app. I got so many cards I bought a separate little wallet thing to keep them in which lives in the car.

I have NEVER used one of them. I decided very quickly that contactless payment was the only option I am interested in and would actively avoid an operator that didn't offer that payment option (looking at you Geniepoint). With a modicum of planning, it is straightforward to make sure you stick to the good networks and this vastly increases the odds of you not being one of those people who finds the charging experience to be poor.
Yes guilty as charged on that one DSL ... I'm tending towards the same fat wallet of cards.

I like the plug & charge facility that comes on the car. I've set it up but of course set up and actually being familiar are different things.

But for sure I think that's solid advice. I'm hoping to be one of those that comes back saying how easy it all is :)

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Instavolt, Osprey good. On my summer road trip up that way, Pod Point at tesco were very useful and not just because they were cheap. They also have much bigger charging bays than the ones at Booths, which are very tight
Instavolt definitely seems be coming up regularly EdH. Is going to be interesting this. At last I will have something to share not just be planning for :)

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
With that sort of range you really don't need to be even a little worried with charging.

If you have the choice go for sites with lots of stalls, hopefully you will pretty much be able to destination charge overnight to save any grief at all.

What's the total mileage you're expecting?

Lovely car, just need the lottery win for one of those and the Taycan 😁
Morning Belzok, no I'm not worried about range at all, just keen to get opinions and advice on charging given the start and end point. And you absolutely right, with a car like this, being worried should not be a factor. For me it's more having a fall back set of advice to build on and indeed use to improve the learning, even if we are not strictly needing.

At the same time, it's that first time out and first of everything .... even the Lake District :) No.1 Son called me Friday, he'd just done a presentation in London to near on 100 folks (and serious VC types ... no room for brevity) and needless to say he was hyped beforehand and full of adrenaline after. He's not done it before and of course now he has, it's a breeze. I remember that feeling very well. This is a little bit similar ... exciting and apprehensive at the same time.

Mileage I guess is about 150 up there. And I printed a route called 'Lake district Ultimate drive'. .... it's a big loop round. And I think that was 126 from memory. So not huge miles although I imagine it will expand as is the nature of these things.

And indeed in reality, the hotel does have it's own charger. I'm expecting the minimum there but all the same

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If you use Octopus energy sign up for Electric Juice (or is it universe). Growing number of charge points you can use their card for and billing back to home account
I did try to move to Octopus some months back Trevor. Unfortunately just as the energy issues were starting and informal advice from Octopus was to hang fire as we would loose out and come back when things were a little calmer. I don't think that will be anytime soon now unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Good choice on getting Honister and Hardnott pass in, great roads to drive on.

Just don't move to far over to make way or you'll be in the ditch like others do 🤣 theres usually a car off on Hardknott at the steep climb/decent switch backs.
Good advice and worth to know .... it's not a small car.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I would NEVER get down to 10% on a lengthy (or any) journey... or ever.....

20% and I'd be getting twitchy! It's not range anxiety - it's that if you are at 10% (25-30m in my car - nearer 40 in yours) and then you get to a broken charger, move on to the next one and see it full you are starting to have a problem.

If you have nigh on 400m range, I'd adopt the "little and fairly often" strategy - get down to 30% ish and then try and make a 30%-80% top up "fit in" with what you are doing (lunch, a decent driving break etc etc)...

So, if you drive 250m that's a good 3 hrs drive - probably nearer 4 - you'll be well overdue for a stop.

I'd do 3 hours, plug in, have a snack, drink, loo, etc....

Then that will probably take you from 40% up to 60-70% (say 45 min)

Then I'd do another 2 ish hours - that will probably drop you from 70% to 25-30% or so.

Have some lunch, a break - take you from 30% back up to 70-80% or so.... that's probably given you 500m or so of driving with 0 stress, 0 worries about chargers etc.....

Even if you were to have some charger trouble, you are no-where near your danger-zone, you still have 100m or so of range...

And don't try to charge past 80% - it's utterly pointless in a car like that. Charging from 10/20% up to 80% is very very quick - but it quickly drops off from there onwards - much better to stop charging, get back on the road and use your time to travel not slow charging. Saying that, if you need to get to 82% or so that's fine - but don't wait to get to 100% - that last 10% will take as long as the previous 30% did or more even! Have you seen the charge curve for your car?

Most dealers don't tell customers this - look it up (somewhere will have it online) I suspect it will drop sharply at 80% so that's the point you unplug and go.
Solid stuff, going to have a read back through that and indeed all the posts later today when on the way. Thanks for the summary.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Hi fellow Mercedes’ driver here an EQC so my range is a tad lower! The MBUX navigation system with the chargers on it is reliable here in France. Mercedes’ me charge works well and simply so if you have set up your card and Mercedes’ me charge is live you should be good at any of the charge networks supported. you can track spend in the Mercedes’ me app. They take a month to charge the card.
Ionity work well with Mercedes’ systems but I have not been to the U.K. with an electric car so I cannot comment on the public charging network there. I can totally identify with the apprehension when making a first trip, here using the motorways is a breeze but if going cross country we were a little more anxious but the advice to top up when the opportunity presents itself is sound in my experience and also if you know you can top up at the destination and you have the range to leave it to a destination charge.
If you have not come across it I really recommend the Mercedes eco coach app full of lots of info and you can earn points to offset public charging costs.
On a recent cross country trip we pré planned stops using A better route planner and chargemap then put them into the navigation as waypoints and it all worked well for locating them.
Hope you enjoy the EQS as much as I enjoy my EQC.
Hi Parkwood. Solid advice. Like the well organised guy I am / are not (delete as applicable) ... I applied for the Mercedes Me card and it arrived a week or two before the card. I registered it and then promptly lost it!

Fortunately one came with the car but it was a lengthy job on the morning of collection to transfer from one to another. In fairness they did and all good

I have to confess to having zero anxiety of any sort regarding range although it turns out we should have had!!! :) .... will post the story shortly. We did a good 580 miles the last 2 days and mainly fun miles.

Yes the onboard nav was very very good. And I did indeed have the eco coach on which made fun reading end of day. And the augmented HUD navigation was amazingly good. I tend to be a bit tetchy about members of family who rely too heavily on nav systems .... I always get them to try to read signs and the road rather than rely on a mobile. But I have to confess, a day into using the HUD based nav, I forgot about signs and common sense. Today I made a conscious effort to return to not just relying on the car to tell me where to go. :)

First outing in the EQS was a game changer. Been a long time since I used a car that genuinely elevates the experience. I have a logic that most don't that says if it's not the best then go as low as you can go. That sounds and reads pretentious. What I mean is, that I resist the 'grey middle' and would rather swim at the utility end of the pool until something truly special comes along. Hence using ultra low end cars the last few years since my company car days. High mileage, early 90's base models with high efficiency and self maintaining. But now I do have something truly uplifting, I have to admit, it's a super feeling.

Ionity I meant to test this morning on the way back but the wife was running late for work so had to pass on that.

Will post my 1st charge experience shortly .... was a challenge but funny now.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Many thanks folks to all those who took the time to give me advice with first journey. Hugely appreciated although I have to confess to not being able to use all of it .... yet. Will tell the story in another post maybe later today. But all valuable stuff and 100% I will be using it in next trips. Appreciated.

But the morale of the story is definitely, check where the Coniston Hall Hotel & Spa actually is rather than assume it is at Coniston. Best laid plans :)

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Skipton ain't bad in fair weather but Hawes n the cheese plant is the best ! n the drives /walks around Keswick /Kendal /Sedbergh or inland to Kirkby Stephen are spectacular (our son lives in the Eden valley ) get back there again n enjoy !
Gotta say, was a very nice area. We didn't do a great deal of walking but a lot of driving this time :) .... we did however walk down to the Ribblehead Viaduct. What a thing that is. And indeed we did walk into the cheese plant and spent a small fortune on things we didn't need but enjoyed :)

No a super part of the world and will be returned to for sure. Only other previous experience was in collecting bits bought off ebay rather than exploring properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts