Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've ordered my first PHEV, (2020 Kuga). It will be used mostly for short commutes 5/6miles and for towing our caravan every 4/6 weeks. As I don't do loads of miles I probably would only need to charge it 2 or 3 times a week and this would almost always be overnight so no need for high speed charging.

We live in a 1950s 3 bed semi with a drive that I will be parking on.
The electrics are not new, we are looking to have them redone this year.
My CU is on the external wall that is next to my drive.

So my first question is what sort of charger should be looking at? (I have many more haha!)

Many thanks all!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Probably a slow 2kw regular plug charger. Phevs tend to have small batteries (6-10 kwh), even with the basic plug charger, it would only take 2-4 hours to top up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
I believe the battery is 14.4kwh in the Kuga, so this would take 7ish hours with a 2kwh charger I'm assuming?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Personally I would look to take advantage of the OLEV grant and get a 7kw charger installed, simply because you may well end up moving to a full electric in the future (as often happens with PHEV owners) and the OLEV grant may not always be there (watch the March 11th budget ). However you need to jump through a few hoops to make certain your electric supply is unto it and that your local DNO will support it. Most of these things can be done by whoever you choose to provide the charger. If you also feel your home electrics need updating as well you might consider going with a good electrician who is approved to do EV charger installations (lots of things on this forum about the pros and cons of this). If you have more questions then ask away as people on this site and been and done it and got the tee shirt !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Trevor.
A 7kw is a consideration no doubt, I just don't know if I'm completely comfortable with all the electric work that would need to be done as our house would definitely not be up to it. Will give it some thought tho. Is there a middle ground option that would not need much upgrade to the current electrics?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What should I be looking at in terms of energy provider and tariffs? Id say a maximum of 3 charges a week so that's less than 50Kw if I'm on the right lines.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thank you Trevor.
A 7kw is a consideration no doubt, I just don't know if I'm completely comfortable with all the electric work that would need to be done as our house would definitely not be up to it. Will give it some thought tho. Is there a middle ground option that would not need much upgrade to the current electrics?
A good weatherproof external 13amp plug socket installed by a certified electrician is the backstop (not sure what Ford provide but you will need a specific lead for this). I would have said go for 3.6w charger still with an OLEV grant but frankly you will probably have a lot of the hoops to jump through (albeit you might get away with a less capable main s feed to the property)

As to energy provider. You will see a lot of people on this site will recommend Octopus Go or Octopus Agile (which is what i have). However for these you will need a SMETS 2 (Smart Meter) installed and again more hoops!!. Failing that anybody who can offer a good electricity rate with no penalties to move later.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
556 Posts
or Economy 7 should work fine for charging overnight, (if you can still get that installed). If you know your consumption you'll need to do the calcs

·
Registered
257 Posts
yep di
or Economy 7 should work fine for charging overnight, (if you can still get that installed). If you know your consumption you'll need to do the calcs
did'nt suggest that as I have not seen Economy 7 advertised recently. See that Ford reckons it will take 6 hours overnight on a 13amp connection (seems a little ambitious given the battery size in the Kuga)

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
556 Posts
with my Ampera I definitely saved at least £100 a year by charging about 90% overnight on E7. Your usage may be different.........

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,919 Posts
Thank you Trevor.
Based on your low mileage, look at Octopus Go.

Where's your electric meter located? Rather than touch your old existing consumer unit, they can split your incoming electricity feed after the meter/before the CU.

e.g.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks everyone!

So I will need to look into the tariffs mentioned as I've not heard of any of them before today.

My meter is under the stairs next to my CU. If they were to split it, what charger could I use? 3.6kw?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Wow thanks everyone!

So I will need to look into the tariffs mentioned as I've not heard of any of them before today.

My meter is under the stairs next to my CU. If they were to split it, what charger could I use? 3.6kw?
Usually the charger installer can ask the local electricity board to sort out the supply and upgrade it if it’s not up to the job.
I only have an 80A fuse and as we’re not on gas we use electric for just about everything. I was still able to have a 7 charger. They just fitted a current clamp that allows the charger to measure the load and throttle the charge rate to manage the demand on my supply.
Charger installers should ask all the right questions and do the math for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so think leads me on to another question, is there a recommended charger supplier? A quick Google shows hundreds to chose from

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apologies James my previous post was in reference to suppliers of 5he hardware. I've edited it now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Solar panels, we have gas boiler and hob, no power showers on anything like that. However whenever we have asked for a smart meter in the past we have been advised we can't have one.
Could be an issue by the sounds of it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts