Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am looking at buying a second-hand ZOE circa 2014/2015 to commute around 22,000 miles a year in.

I know people have mixed reviews of the battery lease, however, with me doing a 90 mile a day journey it is still cheaper than Petrol or Diesel on a vehicle doing 60MPG (which is rather tough...)

I guess my questions are:

Is it going to be able to do a 90 mile trip on a single charge realistically?
How much will the battery lease be?
What to look out for when buying a second hand one?
How to charge it? Wall Charging or other method?
Ideal specification to get?

Thanks all in Advance, appreciate your time.

Kind Regards

Sam

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Is it going to be able to do a 90 mile trip on a single charge realistically?
How much will the battery lease be?
What to look out for when buying a second hand one?
How to charge it? Wall Charging or other method?
Ideal specification to get?
  • For a 22kWh Zoe, probably not. Definitely not in the winter.
  • The max for the 22kWh is £89 for 10,500. Don't know if you can ask to increase these. In all honesty you are far better off without the lease. You can pay to buy out any battery lease now. Roughly you need to add the following to the price of the car depending on the model year to buy the battery: 2016 - £3500; 2015 - £3000; 2014 - £2750.
  • If it's registered more than 4yrs ago, check that the car warranty was extended through Renault.
  • Yes dedicated 7kW wall charger is best.
  • Intens is nice to have for 43kW charging on rapid AC chargers. Would say Dynamique over the Zen or Expression is a must.
If you can stretch your budget, you can get lucky and find a battery owned 41kWh Zoe for around £16,000. This will do your 90-mile journey with absolutely no problem all year round.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,847 Posts
1. Could be tight in a 22kWh Zoe in winter, if most of the journey is motorway and it’s hilly
2. Go for the minimum at £49 and pay excess mileage at the end. Renault often don’t charge
3. If it’s not still under manufacturers warranty, look for one that has had the warranty extended
4. A 7kW home charger is best. Grant available
5. Avoid Expression. Intens or Dynamique have more kit

What is your budget?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this, do you have any idea what the excess charge is?
Appreciate you say Renault don't often charge but knowing my luck smashing an extra 15-20k on top of whats allowed might get noticed. :)

Will be pretty much mostly motorway heading into London - what motor would you advise?
The manufacturer's warranty is for how long?
Is there an easy way to find out if it has been extended?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I know people have mixed reviews of the battery lease, however, with me doing a 90 mile a day journey it is still cheaper than Petrol or Diesel on a vehicle doing 60MPG (which is rather tough...)
Also...not by much...if you assume you can get the unlimited mileage for £100 (it's £110 for the ZE40), and that electricity will cost you about £25 even on Octopus' £0.05 tariff, you are only around £25 cheaper per month than petrol, which would be £150/month.....

2. Go for the minimum at £49 and pay excess mileage at the end. Renault often don’t charge
If he pays the minimum and they don't charge the excess it would be £588.
If he pays the minimum and they do charge the excess it would be £1,988.
If he can negotiate a unlimited plan for around £100 then it would be £1,200. I have no idea what Renault's policy is on larger mileage than 10,500 on the ZE20 is though.

Thanks for this, do you have any idea what the excess charge is?
Appreciate you say Renault don't often charge but knowing my luck smashing an extra 15-20k on top of whats allowed might get noticed. :)

Will be pretty much mostly motorway heading into London - what motor would you advise?
The manufacturer's warranty is for how long?
Is there an easy way to find out if it has been extended?
Excess mileage fee is £0.08.
Manufacturer warranty is 4yrs standard. Could possibly check by ringing a main dealer and giving the reg.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update.

Seems like I need to push my boat out for a bigger motor or not a ZOE all together?

Either that or check to see if the Car Park has an Electrical Outlet!
and that electricity will cost you about £25
When you say about electricity costing £25 that's per month? The reality of finding a car to hit 60MPG is rather slim too.

Thanks

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,847 Posts
This dealer’s website has some good info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also when you see an Advert like this.... I am so confused with what motor is in it :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
You'd be better off getting a LEAF with a healthy battery to avoid the battery rental costs, as you will probably find one of them cheaper then an 'i' model Zoe. You would also get the benefit of faster rapid charging when needed.

On the motorway you really aren't going to get anywhere close especially in the winter with either the early LEAF or Zoe though.

Take a look on Zap Map. Check for charging points at/close to your place of work that you could charge on while at work. Or consider using rapid chargers on the way to/from work. Just remember that you then have the cost of charging to consider too. Maybe speak to your employer to see if they could arrange the install of a charging station, or even an outdoor plug socket.

If you can't make charging work for you, you're going to have to be stepping up to a bigger battery. A 30kWh LEAF Would be your minumum but even that would be pushing it in the winter. Ideally a 40kWh Zoe, but I can appreciate that its going to cost you considerably more than you were first planning on spending.

I have no idea what Renault's policy is on larger mileage than 10,500 on the ZE20 is though.
When I asked, admittedly some time ago, they weren't willing/able to do this and said excess mileage charges would apply beyond the allowance I pick.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
When I asked, admittedly some time ago, they weren't willing/able to do this and said excess mileage charges would apply beyond the allowance I pick.
Ah in which case I agree with @E7EV advice to go with the £49 lease and hope they don't charge excess....

If they do though, you're looking at ~£165/month in lease fees as well as £25/month in electricity....far more expensive than fuel....!

·
Registered
135 Posts
My local Renault dealer has started to buy out the battery leases of any Zoes that are traded in.
They have a 15 reg Intens 22kWh , a 66 reg Dynamique Nav 22kWh and a 19 reg Dynamique Nav 40kWh (R110) and all of them are (now) battery owned.
I don't know if other dealers are doing this but it could take away the battery leasing mileage worries.

My first Zoe was a 22kWh and it did feel a little restrictive when it came to range, when we got a 40kWh it felt very liberating.
As others have said here the 22 wouldn't make your commute year round unless you have charging at work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for your responses. I will 100% look at the 40kWh motor and see if I can find one owned.

This will hopefully then make it affordable for me.

Happy to look nationwide I have friends in the transport industry who will do me a "favour"

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Thanks for this. No not cheap and that video nearly gave me a headache haha
You should be able to find a 66/17 plate closer to the £15/16k if you're lucky.

Alternatively you can try and find a cheap lease model and then buy out the battery for around the £5,500 mark. So if you can nap a lease model for around £10k that might be a good option.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Happy to look nationwide I have friends in the transport industry who will do me a "favour"
Speaking of inside help - there is a guy who operates a 'buy to order' service for EVs. You give him your wish list and budget and he uses all of his inside contacts and trade only auction offers to trace and negotiate for you. He operates on a finders fee of £360 including VAT + any auction fees and will arrange delivery at cost. He is called Jonathan Porterfield who can be found on YouTube showing recent deals. He is well known to forum members and has a good track record of personal service.

Here is one of his YT vids describing his personal service.

His website is Used Electric Cars for Sale - Used Electric Vans - Eco Cars

Perhaps worth an initial chat by phone?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts