Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d be keen to know people’s opinions on this from experience.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
16,875 Posts
In most cases, no.

We are also limited to 20 amps. Both cars only need charging about once a week.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
The usual domestic supply of 100A will not be sufficient to support two chargers running at 7 kW at the same time. It would support two 3.6 kW chargers but charging both vehicles at the same time will take twice as long.

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
379 Posts
We have 2 EVs. A Renault Zoe Q210 and a TM3 LR AWD.
We only have one charger and it works perfectly fine. Both get driven every day. The TM3 gets hooked up every day and charges from 35% to 70%, has the longest commute. The Zoe, charged once on the weekends as only does around 6-8 miles a day.
It's all about finding a pattern and finding out the best way to fit charging in around it.
Obviously this works for us due to our driving pattern but may not work for everyone. We could increase the TM3 charging % if needed but no need at present.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A 100A supply might be fine with 2 x 32A chargers, depending on what other loads you have on the household circuits.

We have a PHEV and a 22kWh ZOE that need charging most days. We manage as the PHEV is normally home some of the day. The main issue with a single point is that you might be unable to make use of low TOU tariffs if you need to charge both overnight. You can get load-balancing double-headed charger, but they're £1k and up.

Reactions: KTEV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have 2 EVs. A Renault Zoe Q210 and a TM3 LR AWD.
We only have one charger and it works perfectly fine. Both get driven every day. The TM3 gets hooked up every day and charges from 35% to 70%, has the longest commute. The Zoe, charged once on the weekends as only does around 6-8 miles a day.
It's all about finding a pattern and finding out the best way to fit charging in around it.
Obviously this works for us due to our driving pattern but may not work for everyone. We could increase the TM3 charging % if needed but no need at present.
Many thanks that’s great

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
We have a 100a supply and two 32a wallboxes. However one is a Zappi which monitors the incoming supply, and will throttle itself down if the current ever hits 100a.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There's a few chargers on the market that will only "take what's available". If you've got 100amp I doubt you'll be using 36amps over night so they'll be enough to charger 2 cars at 7kws.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
We have had 2 EVs for 5 years and manage perfectly well with just one 7kW charger.
Although I tend to charge mine solely from the granny lead and my Mrs hogs the full charger.
We are low usage drivers though plus I work shifts.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
We have a Zoe and Tesla and "his and hers" charging points - the Tesla being hers!

Our supply is 100A and we have a 30A Chargemaster and a 20A PODPoint. The latter was derated due to reusing cabling from the previous installation (16A Chargemaster).

Our parking arrangements and car socket locations would make sharing one point a faf. Also we occasionally both need to charge and we do that on cheaper rate - currently Octopus Agile but previously Go.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Two EV's (Kona 64 & S 60D) one 32A charger, house is 100A - we could get another charger but feel it's unnecessary.
We can always fall back onto the 3-pin if things are desperate, but that's not happened, it depends on your usage pattern (YMMV) - I hope this helps

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
2 EV's, 2 chargers (which cannot be used at the same time).
First EV was an iON, and we had a J1772 tethered 16A charging point fitted.
Second EV was a Zoe, and we had a socketed 32a charging point fitted.
I have a Type 2 to J1772 adapter, and a Type 2 to J1772 cable, so either car can use either charging point, in case one develops a fault (the first changing point is on it's 4th unit - hopefully the second charging point will not require so many replacements)

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
2 EV's, 2 chargers (which cannot be used at the same time).
First EV was an iON, and we had a J1772 tethered 16A charging point fitted.
Second EV was a Zoe, and we had a socketed 32a charging point fitted.
I have a Type 2 to J1772 adapter, and a Type 2 to J1772 cable, so either car can use either charging point, in case one develops a fault (the first changing point is on it's 4th unit - hopefully the second charging point will not require so many replacements)
Yeah a mix of sockets and plugs is a pain, we had Type 1 Ampera running alongside a few Type 2 cars (BMW & Mercedes models). Swapping the Ampera for Zoe means both are Type 2 so we have good redundancy now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
depends if you both need to charge at the same time ? i do 10k miles a year and charge about once a week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts