1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well it looks like i may be going to buy a used leaf!!! exciting
i would really apreciate your feedback on 2 questions:

1. I need to travel 122 miles therefore i need to charge fully on way home. i have found a service station on M6 (Ecotricity Electric Highway Pump ). The issue i have is the car only comes with a 3-pin plug charger. i am a complete novice, do i need my own charging cable to use at services or do they provide and i plug their cable into car?

2. Nissan leaf Tekna 2013 2nd gen - 48,000 miles excellent condition £7,500 - good deal or not?

thanks Alex

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello @Alexhill7 welcome to the forum.

I assume 122 miles is roud trip.
You should have 2 cables. 1 is what we call the granny cable that goes to the mains and the other the type 1 to type 2 cable.
If you are using the super charging station (50kw) you won't need a cable as these are tethered.
in a 7kw charger you will need the cable 2 I mentioned.

hope you enjoy your new car.
If you know someone who can lend you a OBD2 connector and Leaf Spy Pro you should check the SOH (State of Health) of the battery to know how much % you have. (See SOH in pic below)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Alexhill7, at the Ecotricity m'way dispensers, you'll use the RH, Direct Current, (DC) tethered " chademo" cable, it goes in the car's larger charge socket.
The smaller socket is for your home charging, which will be "Alternating Current", or AC, via either the granny cable, or, as & when you can get a Home Chargepoint fitted, the type one to type 2 cable.
I've had my used 30kWh Leaf for 3 months, am still awaiting fitment of home charge point, so all "granny" lead. Plus a few Ecotricity rapids.
For these, you'll need to register a payment card, and use a smartfone to scan the pump's QR code. They run for a max 45mins, and the 30p per kWh is due to increase to 39p soon, they'll be upgrading their busiest sites to enable contactless payment. My recharges so far have cost between £1.87 and £4.29.
Can't help you with the price, but yes, get a bluetooth OBD socket Dongle, eg. Konnwei, and Leafspy Pro, vital diagnostic gear, will help convince a seller that you are serious, let you see the important battery state of health.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I don't think that the earlier LEAFs came with a type 1 to type 2 cable as standard, but they did have 3-pin chargers.

As has been said, it might be useful to have a type 1 to type 2 cable for use on the slower public chargers (not that I have ever used mine, it's still in the original sealed bag).

You can see the state of health with the free version of Leaf Spy Lite. This is the dongle I use (Bluetooth on Android)...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all,

Well it looks like i may be going to buy a used leaf!!! exciting
i would really apreciate your feedback on 2 questions:

1. I need to travel 122 miles therefore i need to charge fully on way home. i have found a service station on M6 (Ecotricity Electric Highway Pump ). The issue i have is the car only comes with a 3-pin plug charger. i am a complete novice, do i need my own charging cable to use at services or do they provide and i plug their cable into car?

2. Nissan leaf Tekna 2013 2nd gen - 48,000 miles excellent condition £7,500 - good deal or not?

thanks Alex
Are you sure your car comes with a 2nd charge cable? I only thought the 6.6kw charge ones did (and it may be lost or otherwise not included)
I know when nearly bought a 2015 24kwh one it wasn't.
Leaf prices have strengthened lately, though even franchised dealers have 24kwh versions 2014 models for about £9k. Is the battery health on it good, ie 12bars? £7500 would be ok if with a decent warranty and battery health in my opinion. I assume your 122 mile journey is just for when you pick up the car, you may well need to charge twice. If doing 122 miles regularly, I'm not sure a 24kwh model will be suitable. Once battery degrades more you may struggle to do 60 miles in winter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi
Is this a 24 or 30 kWh battery model? If its a 24 you may be pushing it to get 60-70 miles at motorway speeds. From the price I would think its a 24.
I would ask to see the estimated range with full battery.
I have a 30 kWh battery and assume 1 mile for 1 per cent. I generally stop at 70-80 mile distance to charge to 80-90 per cent that last 10-20 per cent takes ages. As this is your first foray into ev ownership I would hate for you to buy something that doesn't meet your requirements.
Is this a regular trip or just a one off?
Sorry for the pessimism but this ev ownership can be challenging at times.
I recommend zapmap for charger locations and would look at an alternative to Ecotricity in case of problems
EDIT Electrickery beat me to it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone, apprciate your replies.

To clarify this trip is only to collect the car as 122 miles away, therefore i will charge once on way home.
My everyday commute to office will be 43miles and i can charge at office.

Unfortunately i dont have a leaf spy but they assured the battery is in good condition, they have recently had this report done, i know its not that accurate. Also this is display does this tell me anything? is there 12 bars here?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi everyone, apprciate your replies.

To clarify this trip is only to collect the car as 122 miles away, therefore i will charge once on way home.
My everyday commute to office will be 43miles and i can charge at office.

Unfortunately i dont have a leaf spy but they assured the battery is in good condition, they have recently had this report done, i know its not that accurate. Also this is display does this tell me anything? is there 12 bars here?
Yes, it appears to have 12 bars, though I would guess it is soon to lose one. The first bar loss occurs at 15% loss, subsequent bars at each 6.25% capacity loss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your commemts
So worse case it loses a couple of bars, I could still get to work and back

Are there any companies that service the batteries?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
For my 2013 Sunderland built (Gen2) Leaf, it only came with the granny lead [13A EVSE lead] as standard and I had to buy a Type 2 to Type 1 lead at great (but worthwhile) expense.

As recharging at the Motorway services is critical to you getting home, is there anyone who has is familiar with the EH charging points who could accompany you on the journey in case you have any problems with your first use of the EH charging point?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,483 Posts
If you are going to be charging on the EH every day it may be worth looking at switching to them as a supplier for domestic electric, the EH is going to be 39p/kWh for normal users and 19p/kWh for EcoT customers, Octopus Go might be another option as their off peak rate is very cheap but you will need a Smart Meter being installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
Hilltop Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing