Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like some advice about upgrading my Ford Focus conversion from lead acid batteries to Lithium and a BMS. What batteries, and BMS, how much and how many? Where can I get everything. I want to increase my mileage so I can travel at highway speed to nearby towns- 15 to 20 miles away. The lead acid batteries are just too heavy and old and won't make it. Need to recycle the batteries and upgrade my system. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
My honest suggestion here is - don’t bother. Get a second hand Leaf with at least 9 capacity bars left and you’re sorted. It’ll do what you need and be better than your focus in every single way.

·
Registered
Outlander
5,915 Posts
I thought the Focus BEV shipped with lithium batteries? How did it come to be powered by lead acid?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
Lithium battery alternatives to LA have their own BMS built in so you can just swap the LA for a larger capacity Li-on. E.g:-

·
Registered
702 Posts
My honest suggestion here is - don’t bother. Get a second hand Leaf with at least 9 capacity bars left and you’re sorted. It’ll do what you need and be better than your focus in every single way.
This. The batteries and effort will cost significantly more than a usable used Leaf.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
This. The batteries and effort will cost significantly more than a usable used Leaf.
Not necessarily. The energy density of a Li Ion battery is much greater and the weight much less. The 150ah battery on the ebay listing weighs only 16kg, a LA battery of the same capacity would be around 30-60kg.
However, the OP hasn't said how many batteries he has so it could get very expensive.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If you do want to keep it, then buy a used pack from an EV. Volt packs are popular for conversions for instance. How you configure it all will depend on how the existing system is designed, eg voltages etc.

DIYElectricCar forum might be the place to look.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry it's pie In the sky. You can get a usable Leaf with his required range for less than it will cost to retro fit this properly and make it usable.

A leaf will be a much better car as well

It's better to say how it is and knock stuff like this on the head.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
Come on, of course it’s not pie in the sky! 😁

Perhaps they don’t want to buy a Leaf?

I’m not saying it’s necessarily sensible either, or even straightforward, but I think anybody who converts a car to an EV (or even as in this case updates it to keep it going) deserves a bit of encouragement!

I think @farmergiles was on the right track.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
280 Posts
Come on, of course it’s not pie in the sky! 😁

Perhaps they don’t want to buy a Leaf?

I’m not saying it’s necessarily sensible either, or even straightforward, but I think anybody who converts a car to an EV (or even as in this case updates it to keep it going) deserves a bit of encouragement!

I think @farmergiles was on the right track.
Quite.

The world needs people who are prepared to do different and interesting things, even if they make little sense to others.

Unfortunately OP, I can offer little advice other than keep going, if you want to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts