Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got a brand new e-2008 GT line, and only driven about 400 km. So far it has been a joy to drive, and I'm pretty happy about making the switch from a Mazda CX-3.
However, one little niggle I've found, is the ACC seems to disconnect when it's raining. It's done it three times now, and it refuses to engage again afterwards. There's a message saying conditions are not satisfactory, or something to that effect.

Have any of you had similar experiences, or might my particular ACC be a bit on the overly cautious side?

The ACC in the CX-3 always worked, even in the heaviest rains, so I kinda hope there's a fault with this one?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Is the ACC radar or camera based? I have an i3 and the camera based ACC disconnects in low sun; mist and drizzle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the ACC radar or camera based? I have an i3 and the camera based ACC disconnects in low sun; mist and drizzle.
I'm pretty sure it's radar. It should be housed in the flat square shape, low down in the front bumper.
Maybe the rain clings to the that plate, as it's a bit recessed, and may receive a somewhat turbulent airstream?
On the CX3 the radar was in the big smooth Mazda badge right out in front, exposed to max wind speed and maybe kept more clean?
A bit of a bummer if that's the reason for it then?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or maybe the manufacturer believes in wet weather you should be more in control of your vehicle?

it makes sense to me TBH

JJ
I would argue that having it enabled in bad weather IS safer, as it should have a far better chance of seeing obstacles in poor visibility than the MKI eyeball. It goes with out saying that the speed you set ACC to, should fit the conditions!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Exactly... the radar can see through heavy rain, we can’t. For all it’s flaws, the Tesla had a better idea of where the lines were then I did in poor conditions!

Edit: the reason for your issue is that the Peugeot is probably a more sophisticated system that uses the camera as well, for stuff like cut-in detection and dealing with stationary traffic/vehicles that appear after merge-outs - all stuff that traditional radar-only ACC is rubbish at. I guess there’s no fallback to radar-only as it’d lead to inconsistent behaviour.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Ah but the radar is ONLY checking the distance between you and the car in front but the driver should be considering sooooo much more

and the radar seeing through the rain is a bad argument because when a driver’s view is reduced the driver slows (rightly)

these low levels of autonomy are dangerous if drivers think they are going to save them

there are lots of studies around the autonomy levels and how the user interacts with them and how long the user takes to retake full control and SA

im working heavily in the field of autonomy and the user side is the scariest bit tbh

JJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess there’s no fallback to radar-only as it’d lead to inconsistent behaviour.
You may very well be right, as the Lane assist is closely connected to the ACC it seems.
More experimentation needed! :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I was talking about traffic situations not lane assist - but yeah they use the same vision system.

@Problemchild Absolutely. In theory, autonomy on motorways is easy - stay in lane, don’t get too close to the guy in front. But in reality it’s much more complex - which is exactly why modern ACC combines with the vision system for cut in detection (which long range radar is crap at), quicker identification of vehicles ahead after merge outs, map-based context (that traffic to your left is merging, leave room) and Tesla-specific stuff like adjacent lane speeds and moving over for trucks.

All systems currently lack turn signal detection, which still makes passing foreign (and some domestic) lorries a dangerous game with ADAS on.

My only exposure to this stuff is building vision-based ADAS for simulation use, but it’s fairly obvious we’re a long way from level 5 autonomy on freeways. Level 3 yes, Tesla and the latest Mobileye stuff is pretty much there, but every other system is firmly Level 2.

Reactions: Problemchild
1 - 9 of 9 Posts