Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m new here and I’m an owner of a Toyota Coms here in Japan. This mini ev car equipped with a 72v Pb battery (need to think how to replace it with something more efficient), can be charged only through the 100v home socket. The problem now is that I cannot use any charging point because they work at 200v and use the connector that is common in the ev cars and not the one that we have in our house. Now I want to know if there is any way to install an adapter or converter that can step down the 200v input to 100v output so I can charge the car everywhere .
thanks for your help

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,614 Posts
You can get these, yes. Have you tried Amazon?

But I expect you’ll not want to be using the Type 2 sockets that are everywhere and instead some sort of three pin plug?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hello everyone I’m new here and I’m an owner of a Toyota Coms here in Japan. This mini ev car equipped with a 72v Pb battery (need to think how to replace it with something more efficient), can be charged only through the 100v home socket. The problem now is that I cannot use any charging point because they work at 200v and use the connector that is common in the ev cars and not the one that we have in our house. Now I want to know if there is any way to install an adapter or converter that can step down the 200v input to 100v output so I can charge the car everywhere .
thanks for your help
I am not sure that will be possible to do safely / legally (obviously regs will be different in Japan compared to UK).

Assuming the charge points in Japan are what would normally be called an EVSE you would need a converter that provided the necessary control signals to the charge point to fool it into thinking there is a 'normal' EV connected to it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The problem is not the 200 > 100 V transformer - you can get them in Akihabara for example. The real problem is the protocol needed to allow the J1772 (Type 1 connector) to provide power. This requires a signalling protocol on the lines, the adapter needs to be intelligent.
Here in the UK you can get a Type 2 to 3pin socket for use with chargepoints. I've no idea if similar are available in Japan.
Japan in the Malls uses tethered Type1 I think (see image) so you would need a type1 socket on the adapter . With such a lead and a suitable transformer to plug into it you could charge the Toyota Coms from the EV posts in malls etc.
The Transformer must be suitably rated for the current draw and will probably need to be 30% overrated as the draw is continuous.
Is it worth it - I doubt it as the cables etc. will not come cheap.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
For those interested there is a wikipedia article on it Toyota Coms

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
thanks for your help
It's designed to be charged at home on 100v sans protocol. That's it.

·
Registered
Zoe 50 GT line
31 Posts
Ah, I see the problem, hoping to charge vehicle with a domestic mains input from a EV charge point.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
764 Posts
Would a UK 110 volt transformer do the job, as used for industrial tools when hired for 220v use? Google 110v transformer and see all of the yellow boxes.
Only if you could find one with a big enough VA rating, which would be a big transformer. Doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,614 Posts
Something like this?

You can carry this around with you in the back of your tiny car.

A Type 2 to three pin adaptor is possible, but highly dodgy.

I'm still not sure why you'd want to charge for 10 hours on a public charger like this.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
We don't even know the charging VA. It will be small because these are tiny lead acid cells. I think this is one for the OP to sort.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Now I want to know if there is any way to install an adapter or converter that can step down the 200v input to 100v output so I can charge the car everywhere .
thanks for your help

Shows a Toyota COMS being trialled in France, being plugged into a type 1 (j1172) cable.
So, that means that Toyota have produced an on-board charger for it that can take the higher voltage, and do the necessary signalling. It might be worth checking out if that part is available or could be retro-fitted?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts