Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first post, I don't have an EV but thinking about possibility of getting one. My employer has a fleet of Zoes that I have driven quite often so I at least have some experience. I like the Zoe but we are a family with two medium size dogs and one petite teenage girl so think the Zoe is a bit too small, and neither the Fluence nor the Leaf have very dog friendly boot designs.

Then a Kangoo Z.E. crew van on Autotrader caught my eye- fully glazed, five seats and two sliding rear doors, so something like a Kangoo MPV/estate thing but more basic interior and a very large boot as it is the Maxi long wheel base version- ideal! However I don't know much about the Kangoo ZE so if anybody can give me some answers to the following I would be very grateful:

1. What sort of range can be expected realistically in a rather hilly area (Cornwall)? I can get around 80 miles with care in a Zoe (2013 models) but presume even with a similar battery capacity(?) it will be less than that in the heavier and less aerodynamic Kangoo. TBH 50 miles would be plenty for everyday usage.
2. What about battery leasing costs? Our mileage will be circa 6000 miles a year.
3. What about charging- does/should it have a UK 3 pin plug portable EVSE or just a cable for charging stations? I believe it only charges at a slowish rate, so how long for a full charge at a charging station, ditto through a 13A socket?
4. It is a 2012 with 34K miles on the clock- any idea about drive train lifespan on these?

I do know it is restricted to LGV national speed limits, but that can only help with battery range, assuming my OH complies with the speed limit :rolleyes:

·
Registered
597 Posts
1. We get 55-75 miles out of ours, depending on temperature. Lack of aerodynamics plays a big part, anything over 50mph and the battery gets sucked away, as does using the heater.
2. The Kangoo van is £35pm (+VAT) for 9,000 miles pa. Not sure of the crew van is any different.
3. Charging is 3.6kW onboard, the Phase II Kangoo's are Type 2, the Phase I are Type 1. It's pot luck as to whether it comes with the 3-pin EVSE, check that with the seller. We had a choice of two, one with a Type 2 public charging cable, and one with a 3-pin EVSE. We chose the one with a 3-pin EVSE as they're worth a lot more, and bought the public charging cable for just over £100 separately.
4. Our is a 2013 with 18k miles, nearly all of which we've put on. We've had no problems so far with it.

I think the lack of rapid charging, and slow 3.6Kw on-board charger really lets the Kangoo down, as it seriously limits the range you can go in it without recharging. The longest we've ever seen displayed for fully charged is 7h30m when we've run the battery well below 0 miles remaining.

The van is electronically limited to 81mph, it's still accelerating when it gets there as you can feel it hitting the limiter when you get there. Normal motorway speeds (70-80mph) decimates the battery, so we only drive like that sparingly!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary, the nearest motorway is 100 miles away so no danger of doing those motorway speeds! Also only a few stretches of dual carriageway in Cornwall, which of course an LGV is legally only allowed to do 60mph on anyway (and 50mph on single carriageway roads).

What charger/rate did you get the 7.5hrs full recharge result with?

Re charging at home- there are portable EVSEs with the 16 amp 'Commando/ plug like you get at campsites, and I just had the odd thought that it is probably not that expensive or challenging to get an electrician to wire up an appropriate weather proof 16 amp socket on the outside of a house, which should get you more amps than the the 3 pin 13 amp socket 10 amp option at least. Also you can buy adapters that connect the Commando plug to a 13 amp socket for very little, which could be handy for a top up a a friend's place, though you would have to be able to reduce the current drawn to 10A in that case.

One more question- we have Economy 7 which runs 11pm-midnight then 1am-7am., but can you get the charging to happen just during the E7 hours?

I am putting together a bespoke ebike for my OH to commute to work on, and I cycle to work already, so the 'car' is just for transporting teenager to her mates, clubs etc., taking the dogs out, trips to the beach, weekly shopping, etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gone off the idea of used Renault EVs entirely, due to the long term cost of still having to rent the battery for at least £40 a month (inc VAT), i.e. £480 a year. I am looking for at least 5 year's ownership so that adds at least £2400 to the cost. They are asking £6K for the Kangoo, but similar age/mileage Nissan Leafs are a similar price with owned battery, or Gen 2 ones 2013 onwards with faster charging and heat exchanger heating are advertised for around £8K, still with owned batteries and lower mileage. Also the slow charge rate is off putting with the Kangoo- even medium distance drives will be very much inconvenienced by that...

Basically I am looking to retire shortly and use some of my lump sum to buy an EV that is reasonably future proof. In my situation I have the money to invest up front but rather less in terms of monthly income, so renting the battery is particularly unfavourable for me I think. In the long term the teenager will be off to uni in a couple of years and the dogs can probably squeeze into a Leaf boot OK for short trips, or longer with seats down= will have a closer look at one soon, and pop over to the Leaf forum for a good browse.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Have you looked at the ENV200 ? They do one with seats and windows like the Kango and our dog loved the sliding doors and low sill at the back.
Personally I would recommend getting a 2 year PCP on a new one - too risky to buy outright at the moment especially with a battery lease that would be extremely difficult to srll on.
Put you lump sum in a SIPP instead - it will work harder for you than a depreciating asset.
Gone off the idea of used Renault EVs entirely, due to the long term cost of still having to rent the battery for at least £40 a month (inc VAT), i.e. £480 a year. I am looking for at least 5 year's ownership so that adds at least £2400 to the cost. They are asking £6K for the Kangoo, but similar age/mileage Nissan Leafs are a similar price with owned battery, or Gen 2 ones 2013 onwards with faster charging and heat exchanger heating are advertised for around £8K, still with owned batteries and lower mileage. Also the slow charge rate is off putting with the Kangoo- even medium distance drives will be very much inconvenienced by that...

Basically I am looking to retire shortly and use some of my lump sum to buy an EV that is reasonably future proof. In my situation I have the money to invest up front but rather less in terms of monthly income, so renting the battery is particularly unfavourable for me I think. In the long term the teenager will be off to uni in a couple of years and the dogs can probably squeeze into a Leaf boot OK for short trips, or longer with seats down= will have a closer look at one soon, and pop over to the Leaf forum for a good browse.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you looked at the ENV200 ? They do one with seats and windows like the Kango and our dog loved the sliding doors and low sill at the back.
Personally I would recommend getting a 2 year PCP on a new one - too risky to buy outright at the moment especially with a battery lease that would be extremely difficult to srll on.
Put you lump sum in a SIPP instead - it will work harder for you than a depreciating asset.
I am retiring from the NHS but will carry on working doing something less demanding for less money, I am approaching my 'Mental Health Officer' status retirement age of 55 and frankly that is enough after 33 years service (which is made up to 40 under the MHO rules, lucky me). My lump sum is a one off payment at retirement, not a draw down by choice, and the bulk of it after getting a car will be put into the mortgage, as that still has a while to go and anything to bring that down is the first priority. A PCP would be rather too expensive for me and we only need either a shorter range cheaper used EV with practical space (for dogs, general carting around of 'stuff' etc.) and hire an ICE for longer journeys, or just get a similar good low mileage ICE. It will be swings and roundabouts cost wise: our annual mileage is going to be social domestic and pleasure as my OH is determined to commute mainly by ebike once I have built it for her and I cycle to work, so our current mileage of 10K pa will go down to around 6-7K pa. I am not too keen on the Renault battery hire costs on an owned vehicle TBH, so looking at alternatives but there are not many options. Nightly home charging on Economy 7 is the way to go for us with an EV as we have E7 already with electric storage heating (no gas in our area) and off street parking in front of the house. We are currently paying under 8p per kWh on off peak, washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher all using E7 as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The env200 is made by nissan and has no battery hire so would suit your circumstances and has faster charging than the kango.
Don't worry too much about electricity costs - it's such a tiny part of your expenses that most EV owners don't seem to bother with economy 7.
I am retiring from the NHS but will carry on working doing something less demanding for less money, I am approaching my 'Mental Health Officer' status retirement age of 55 and frankly that is enough after 33 years service (which is made up to 40 under the MHO rules, lucky me). My lump sum is a one off payment at retirement, not a draw down by choice, and the bulk of it after getting a car will be put into the mortgage, as that still has a while to go and anything to bring that down is the first priority. A PCP would be rather too expensive for me and we only need either a shorter range cheaper used EV with practical space (for dogs, general carting around of 'stuff' etc.) and hire an ICE for longer journeys, or just get a similar good low mileage ICE. It will be swings and roundabouts cost wise: our annual mileage is going to be social domestic and pleasure as my OH is determined to commute mainly by ebike once I have built it for her and I cycle to work, so our current mileage of 10K pa will go down to around 6-7K pa. I am not too keen on the Renault battery hire costs on an owned vehicle TBH, so looking at alternatives but there are not many options. Nightly home charging on Economy 7 is the way to go for us with an EV as we have E7 already with electric storage heating (no gas in our area) and off street parking in front of the house. We are currently paying under 8p per kWh on off peak, washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher all using E7 as well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
We have a 'split' E7 times like you, and a Leaf that only charges at 3kw. Remember it only takes the full time to charge if it's empty.

In a typical day it's down to about 40% and the five hour window is sufficient to fully recharge. If it's flat and we need it full we just tap the override button.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts