Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am looking into a Renault Zoe for a family member. They usually at most do 40 miles in any given day and about 7500 miles a year. My father has had an Hyundai Ioniq 28kw since since may 2019 and we are just looking at replacing a petrol car with another electric. 50miles to 65miles for 2013? and 70miles to 85 miles for 2016?

what sort of range figures is there for both the 2013 and 2016 22kw zoes for city driving? range for winter is of course the most important indicator as if they think it would be suitable for them to use day to day.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The lowest we've ever had for our 2014 22kWh Zoe is 60 miles. This was start stop driving in below zero temperatures. In summer, 80 miles minimum. You won't find much, if any, difference in range between a 2013 and 2016 car - batteries on the Zoe are lasting well, in fact ours is still at 98% health. 40 miles per day will not be a problem in any Zoe regardless of age.

If going for the 2013, just check that the warranty has been extended - that's very important.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
If they're both 22kW they'll both do about the same mileage. 60 in the worst depths of winter, 65-70 more likely. 70-80 in the mild months and 80-90 in summer, 100+ on a perfect day. The R motor is ever so slightly more efficient but you're talking like 5 miles maybe at most

Indicated mileage may be lower if either of the Zoes hasn't had the BMS update

I'd advise 2016 for the manufacturer's warranty (and extend it) as they're not the most reliable of EVs. But I believe you can get a third party one for the 2013 which would have expired

·
Zoe Devotee
7,958 Posts
Don't believe the hype, the difference in range from a Q motor (2013) and an R motor (2016) is negligible. Go with the best condition you can afford.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thank you for the responses. i shall put the info to the family member. The zoe should be suitable then. will be prob going to go for a 2016 model as they may have some remaining warranty on the car and the slight difference in the range (will not require the quick charge model as will be all ciy driving) (i understand there isn't many q models available anyway). i assume the heater doesn't use that much of the battery compared to the early leafs?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,273 Posts
The ZOE heater uses significantly LESS than the early leafs as it is a heat pump system which is far more efficient (at least 3oo%) than the old simple resistive heating. It's really no comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ZOE heater uses significantly LESS than the early leafs as it is a heat pump system which is far more efficient (at least 3oo%) than the old simple resistive heating. It's really no comparison.
ok that is great to hear. when preheating is it required to be plugged in for it to occur or would it work without being plugged in? Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
ok that is great to hear. when preheating is it required to be plugged in for it to occur or would it work without being plugged in? Thanks
For the Zoe 22kwh preheat works either when plugged in or when unplugged and battery is above 45% charge.

I think it runs for less time when unplugged but can’t remember exactly...

Ta

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
The heating (main fan) can get rather loud at this time of year though just FYI. No big deal, can be a little bit louder than some ICE engines at its worst but something to be aware of. If you like to have the full 40 minute pre-heat going then you can sometimes get comments like "oh I thought someone was sat idling for all that time and wondered when they were going to leave" :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts