Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2013 Ampera will not have a switchable charge cord (between 6/10 Amps). Instead, switching will be done in the car through software. I believe it will default to 6 Amps each time.

This means that if you want a second charge cord for any reason - for example to leave on your garage wall - then you will soon only have a unit that can supply a fixed 10A and your 2012 car will not be able to use any different.

I managed to bag a switchable one, as I had intended to fix a charger to my garage wall and our wiring is not ideal for 10A so I always charge on 6A here. Reports from our German brethren say that they have already run out of the old ones over there.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My Ampera (Oct 2012) can set 10 or 6A in its 'charge level preference' menu... I would assume this would still be effective with the new charge cord?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If it is car software switchable then it must be a 10A fixed EVSE. The car can then draw either 6A or 10A depending on how the software is set.

The Nissan Leaf EVSE is a fixed 10A too.

I prefer the hardware switch. Having the hardware switch means I can use the Ampera EVSE for the Leaf (or any other J1772 car) at either 6A or 10A... if it were software switchable only I could only use the Ampera EVSE with the Leaf at 10A. But as my EVSE is hardware switchable I am already a happy bunny :)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopbackguy - sounds like you have a 2013 already (the Volt MY already changed too). Do you have any other interesting features like lane departure warning? Does your EVSE have the orange switch on the front.

Paul - yes it's a fixed 10A.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
dpeilow said:
Hopbackguy - sounds like you have a 2013 already (the Volt MY already changed too). Do you have any other interesting features like lane departure warning? Does your EVSE have the orange switch on the front.

Paul - yes it's a fixed 10A.
Yes I think I may have the '2013' model as mine has other software differences from others on this forum who got their Amperas earlier this year. My EVSE is switchable 10/6A with the orange switch, which is what I use (I haven't played with the car software option yet as no need to).

I don't have the lane departure warning as I didn't opt for the forward facing camera. I can't say I've noticed any other 'new' things that aren't in the brochure or manual... not yet anyway - I probably haven't had it long enough :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
dpeilow said:
If it is a 2013 then you also have ~10% more battery capacity. How many kWh is a full charge?
I think I remember it taking about 10.6kwH the first time I recharged it completely at the beginning of November, I havent taken note since then for individual charges...

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, sounds like a 2012 then. Mine is 10.6 kWh - if you watch the energy use screen and drive until the electricity runs out, that is the number you see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2013 Portable Charge Cord allows the car to make the decision of the amperage available and to draw juice at up to 10.6kWh.
If a lower amerage is available or if the car detects fluctuations in flow, then it will default to 6amp for safety

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
SP_66 said:
2013 Portable Charge Cord allows the car to make the decision of the amperage available and to draw juice at up to 10.6kWh.
If a lower amerage is available or if the car detects fluctuations in flow, then it will default to 6amp for safety
This change is a bad one from the standpoint of the owner IMO.

I can't help but feel that this has been brought about to protect the manufacturer against any kind of mishap. It is nothing to do with convenience or preference for owners. Yet more evidence of the way that Vauxhall is not customer focussed nor do they listen to the current customer base.

Nothing would have prevented the hardware switch remaining even if the need for software switching was made available.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the car that decides(switches) the appropriate current for charge based on the type of cable plugged in? and isn't the Cable current level defined by a specific signal resistor in the plug? hence you could convert a 10A unit to a 6A unit by changing the signal Resistor for the right type..

I may be completely wrong but that's my understanding of how the EVSE charge levels are defined.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Not really.

I don't know what you mean by "type of cable". The cable is always a J1772 at the car end and it then connects to an EVSE control unit at the other. Sometimes the EVSE unit is inline as with the supplied EVSE cable or builtin to the post or pod as with Type 2 public charging stations or home pod. Either way it amounts to the same thing.

You are correct in one sense in that it is the car that sets the charge rate but it isn't based on the type of cable... it is based on the max current that the EVSE unit says it can deliver. In the case of the supplied EVSE cable that will be either 6A or 10A (currently switchable) or in the case of public type 2 charging stations it could be 16A or 32A on single phase or higher if 3-phase.

The car then knows what is the maximum it can take for the circuitry it is connected to.

It is a subtle but important difference from how you describe it. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi all,
does anybody know what the red/green lights on the EVSE mean.I left my car piugged in to charge after midnight but this morning the car had not charged and the top left light illuminated red and other 5 lights normal green.Cant find anything in the manual

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
It's on page 9-40 of my manual. Top left is AC, top right is fault:

A flashing red AC PRESENT (A)
indicates the AC voltage is out of
range.
Flashing red AC PRESENT (A) and
FAULT (B) indicate that the AC
outlet is not properly earthed.
Charging is not permitted for safety
reasons. The AC outlet must be
repaired or another outlet source
should be used.
A flashing red FAULT (B) indicates a
charge cord fault. The charge cord
will attempt to reset automatically.
If the flashing red FAULT (B)
continues for more than
30 seconds, unplug the charge
cord from the wall to reset. If the
fault remains, see your dealer for
service.
I got the fault light a few times and called the dealer and they shipped a new cable next day, but top left means a problem with your mains supply, but I guess that could be as simple as a brief power fluctuation. Try power cycling the EVSE and see if it happens again.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a picture of the US 2013 cable. Notice it even has a cheaper J1772 plug with no light (one of my favourite features).

It doesn't have a separate wall bracket either, so quick mount and dismount from the wall like I do now would be more fiddly.

I understand this is being made by Clipper Creek whereas the old one was Lear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts