Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it's finally in the public domain that we've achieved a significant milestone in that we're now the second lowest carbon emitting supplier in the UK. Who's the first? Perhaps not who you'd think...

http://www.electricityinfo.org/supplierdataall.php

Reactions: Paul

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
EDF fourth from bottom on renewabals and top of nuclear waste with more than three times UK average, oof. ;)

I think it's a "could do better" for all concerned, seemingly aside from Good energy, who seem very - erm - good.

Interesting reading all the same, and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
EDF fourth from bottom on renewabals and top of nuclear waste with more than three times UK average, oof. ;)

I think it's a "could do better" for all concerned, seemingly aside from Good energy, who seem very - erm - good.

Interesting reading all the same, and thanks for sharing.
Top for Nuclear waste? We operate *all* the stations. That can't be a surprise shurely?

Indeed toward the back end on Renewables, but the 2014 figures will show a marked improvement in that with plenty of onshore coming on. Not sure Navitus Bay will be on stream for a couple of years, though.

Reactions: Paul

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
The public fuel mix disclosures are a lagging measure. The current numbers are based on data from April 2012 to March 2013.

Ecotricity has been 100% green since August 2013. Because of the way the government reports fuel mix, it will be some time before they show up as 100% green on the tables.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fuel-mix-disclosure-data-table

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think it's all dependant of your definition of green.
No CO2, or CO2 neutral(biomass) or even things that produce small amount of CO2 but is sustainable like BIO gas.

Then there is the nuclear debate which I'm not going to get into.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The public fuel mix disclosures are a lagging measure. The current numbers are based on data from April 2012 to March 2013.

Ecotricity has been 100% green since August 2013. Because of the way the government reports fuel mix, it will be some time before they show up as 100% green on the tables.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fuel-mix-disclosure-data-table
So they didn't start off 100% green to get the customers and revenue the needed to build the turbines now their 100% on all tariffs?
I'm a little surprised from seeing all the Dave interviews that he started with coal and gas

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
So they didn't start off 100% green to get the customers and revenue the needed to build the turbines now their 100% on all tariffs?
I'm a little surprised from seeing all the Dave interviews that he started with coal and gas
Well, as far as I can tell he didn't start with coal and gas, he started with buying wholesale electricity without any significant control over the source and took what was on offer. I don't think the "little guys" had much choice what they received at the time. I believe that the plan was to use the profits from selling "grid mix" electricity to build wind turbines and then use those to gradually "green" their supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts