1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,691 Posts
I believe there is a BMS issue that has emerged from the woodwork in which not all of the usable battery capacity is being correctly identified.

If you are getting 10.4 to 10.8 kWh used at the end of each cycle, then I don't think you will be affected. I can't see how. There have been some posters here reporting less than 10kWh repeatedly, who knows, maybe this was a bug for them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought the car I did get about 10.8kWh of use but now tend to get closer to 10 so I may have a problem.
Is long term damage to the battery likely if the cells have not been balancing?

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
When I bought the car I did get about 10.8kWh of use but now tend to get closer to 10 so I may have a problem.
Is long term damage to the battery likely if the cells have not been balancing?
You would be the first if you had a problem with battery deg, the usage on mine varies from 8.9-9.5.....I really can't work out what it has really used!!!!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
514 Posts
Likewise, mine varies between 9.8 ish and 10.8 ish, it's usually around 10.2-10.4. I used to think the number of journeys per charge may be a factor, but that's just speculation. So I've stopped worrying about it......

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would be the first if you had a problem with battery deg, the usage on mine varies from 8.9-9.5.....I really can't work out what it has really used!!!!
So what year is yours AndyG? You might have the same problem. Might be worth checking your MOT history at Check the MOT history of a vehicle and click the "Outstanding recalls" tab at the bottom.

You can see my registration from my avatar and can look at mine to see what I am talking about.

·
28,691 Posts
If you typically run the battery out on the motorway then the engine will at cut in around 9.9kWh used. It is best to run the engine before you get down to less than 3 miles showing and anticipate how much battery you need for the final streets to your destination, i.e. don't just let the battery expire, try to get the last few miles on electric only by using just enough HOLD while at higher speeds. This is better both for the local ICE emissions and also you get more apparent battery use (whether that is true or not I never really figured out).

·
Ampera Advocate
323 Posts
Interesting comment from Donald. I'm pretty sure that there is a limit to when you can switch to Hold and back to Normal and for there to be any battery-only mileage left. I have tried it with 1 mile of battery-only showing but was not able to get back to Normal battery use after switching to Hold. Is it possible to do with 2 miles left or do you have to have 3 left to be able to return to Normal use?

·
Registered
451 Posts
It is inconsistent, but unlikely to let you switch back with anything less than 5 miles showing. It will use the remaining charge but it will be counted as ICE mileage.

·
28,691 Posts
5 miles is about right. Less than that and you let the car toy with you. If you say nice and reassuring things it sometimes goes back to EV at less.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
So what year is yours AndyG? You might have the same problem. Might be worth checking your MOT history at Check the MOT history of a vehicle and click the "Outstanding recalls" tab at the bottom.

You can see my registration from my avatar and can look at mine to see what I am talking about.
I've just checked my 2013 Volt and the site says 'No outstanding recalls'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just to reboot this thread - there has been a lot of chat about this update recently on (US-centric) Volt Facebook pages. I asked Bellingers if they were aware of the recall at my recent service- they didn’t know anything about it but said they’d look into it. A few days later I got a call to say the warranty manager had checked with Chevrolet US and confirmed that my Volt was affected. It’s going back in shortly. It’s a little disconcerting that the dealer didn’t know anything about this until I asked them to check though. My MoT history online was not showing any outstanding recalls.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to reboot this thread - there has been a lot of chat about this update recently on (US-centric) Volt Facebook pages. I asked Bellingers if they were aware of the recall at my recent service- they didn’t know anything about it but said they’d look into it. A few days later I got a call to say the warranty manager had checked with Chevrolet US and confirmed that my Volt was affected. It’s going back in shortly. It’s a little disconcerting that the dealer didn’t know anything about this until I asked them to check though. My MoT history online was not showing any outstanding recalls.
Very useful update thanks Shedman. Be interested to hear if you see any difference after the recall and to know what they refer to it as so we can ask for the same thing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
They referred to it as an update to prevent or delay loss of propulsion - but it does seem to be this cell balancing update. Some online complain of a 10% loss of range afterwards, others see no effect. Will update this once it is done and I’ve had time to assess.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quick update: after five charges from empty to full following the update, I’ve got 39miles per charge, then 37.5, 39 again, 44.5 (my record so far) and 43.2. 10.2kwh used on average each time. The car previously averaged around 39miles per charge on mixed routes of local 30mph, A-road and dual carriageways. My previous record was 42.5mph, so there’s certainly no obvious drop in achievable range so far and, if anything, performance may have slightly improved since the update. Two other things I’ve noticed since the update: the car doesn’t seem to emit the double warning beep if I leave the key in the vehicle (unless a setting has inadvertently been altered somewhere in the menus), and the lifetime mph measurement now appears to be increasing in increments of 0.2mph. It previously adjusted in increments of 0.3mph.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quick update: after five charges from empty to full following the update, I’ve got 39miles per charge, then 37.5, 39 again, 44.5 (my record so far) and 43.2. 10.2kwh used on average each time. The car previously averaged around 39miles per charge on mixed routes of local 30mph, A-road and dual carriageways. My previous record was 42.5mph, so there’s certainly no obvious drop in achievable range so far and, if anything, performance may have slightly improved since the update. Two other things I’ve noticed since the update: the car doesn’t seem to emit the double warning beep if I leave the key in the vehicle (unless a setting has inadvertently been altered somewhere in the menus), and the lifetime mph measurement now appears to be increasing in increments of 0.2mph. It previously adjusted in increments of 0.3mph.
Thanks for the update Shedman. I may ask Bellingers to do mine too. The ‘Remote left in vehicle reminder’ is one of the personalisation settings. Go to Config>Remote/Lock/Unlock/Start and you can turn it back on. I turned it off because, while a good idea, I was leaving the fob in the car so much that it was beginning to be embarrassing! See page 87 if you have the MY13 user manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts